Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Upgrade or hold out - The List

So like many of you, I'm at or approaching the age where disposable funds are not in as high supply as they once were. Hell, for my generation, they may have never been there in the first place. Whereas I once dropped $20-25 for a brand new DVD, sight-unseen, I now agonize over a $9 upgrade to Blu-ray. Often it comes down to: is the picture and sound quality a sufficient enough improvement that the inevitable future double dip will not be so tempting, or am I better off holding onto my DVD?

I'd like to keep a running list going of discs which are in question. For example, I'm debating on Escape from New York now. It's definitely cheap enough, but reviews of the picture quality have been anything but rave. Should I hold onto my MGM SE DVD, banking on a Cundey-approved transfer down the line?

Escape from New York [US]: Yes: 1 No: 1
Escape from New York [UK]: Yes: 0 No: 1
The Fog [UK]: Yes: 0 No: 1

-Paff

Last edited by Fistfuck; 07-23-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
russweiss
Maniac

I am hesitant too about upgrading titles from DVD to blu-ray. My normal price range is $10-$12 although I have paid more for some titles. When the price is under $10.00 (as Escape From New York is) I pick it up unless it's received terrible quality reviews. In some cases I have to keep the DVD anyway when all the extras haven't been ported to the blu otherwise they go into a "sell" pile for Ebay.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

If you have to stand there in the store wrestling with yourself over a $10 upgrade, then the answer to whether you should buy it is almost certainly no. Recently I've drastically cut back on my disc purchases, partly for financial reasons, partly because I was accumulating too much stuff that just sits unwatched on the shelf. So I've gone back to a purchasing system that I used in college when I had a similar problem. Back then I decided to limit my disc purchases to sixteen per calendar year, four every quarter. I stuck with it for three and a half years and I found that it allowed my collection to be much more manageable. At that point I was still upgrading my VHS collection and a lot of the things that I bought were upgrades - GAMERA VS. ZIGRA, INVISIBLE INVADERS/JOURNEY TO THE SEVENTH PLANET, WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR DAUGHTERS, BEACH RED, ISLAND OF THE FISHMEN - all upgrades from tape, and then there were a few like EATEN ALIVE (Shriek Show) and THE GREAT ESCAPE (R2 SE) that were upgrades from both VHS and earlier DVDs. I found that limiting my purchases allowed me to make better decisions about what to get and what not to get. This time around though I don't imagine I will be upgrading to that many Blu-Rays, I think that in most cases the DVDs will hold me over.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
msw7
Morso a morte

Movies that I will definitely upgrade (assuming I still want to own the title in question) are any for which the DVD did not have an anamorphic transfer.

I'm also upgrading if the special features are better/new, or if the DVD case takes up a lot of space on the shelf, and the blu-ray is cheap enough to make trades like that worth it (sub $5 per disk).

For my very favorite movies, I will upgrade if the picture is at least as good as the DVD.

Otherwise I'm trying to hold off. I really don't want to re-buy everything I had on DVD on blu-ray, that would be pointless. Movies that I buy now I'm buying blu-ray only unless there is a DVD-only release with no chance of a blu ray in the near future.

If I'm not going to watch the movie at least several more times, there's no point for me to upgrade. I might as well just keep the DVD and get rid of it when I'm tired of the movie.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Best Buy currently has Upgrade & Save going on at the moment. Bring in your old DVD to the service desk, and they'll give you a coupon for $5 off the blu-ray (as long as it's carried in stores). It doesn't even have to be the same movie, just bring in an old DVD you don't need anymore.

I love when they have this promotion, because I had a lot of junk DVDs I've been meaning to get rid of but they're only selling for pennies on eBay and Amazon marketplace. I grabbed National Lampoon's Vacation and the Jurassic Park movies this week, and I'm sure I'll be back in there next week to pick up more.

As for Escape From New York, it's an MGM release, so a Scream Factory release is perhaps a possibility? I'd probably wait, but to be honest I'm not really a huge fan of the film. So that's just me.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
spawningblue
Deadite

I would hold off on Escape from NY. The PQ isn't much better and it's missing all the features from the DVD SE. It's only a matter of time before, as Cpt_Hook mentioned, Scream gets a hold of it and releases a proper Blu-ray.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
deepred
Maniac

Yeah, my disposable income is getting smaller and smaller.

I've actually been debating if I should get the upcoming Crystal Lake Memories blu-ray or just get the book instead.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
dickieduvet
Maniac

I've pretty much upgraded all my DVD's to Blu-Ray over the last 6 years. (Approx 1500-1700 titles) Funnily enough the only 2 which I wouldn't class as an upgrade are the UK versions of Escape From New York & The Fog, Both are upscales and look like shit!

Now the US Blu of Escape looks marvelous in comparison, The PQ is excellent and the disc has a maxed out bitrate. The Audio is also first rate for a film of it's budget and vintage.

I'd say upgrade, I can't see Scream Factory getting this any time soon as the remake is in development again and MGM will be holding onto it to no doubt release it again to coincide.
dickieduvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Thanks for contributing, guys. I'll update these as people respond and offer other films.

-Paff
Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
msw7
Morso a morte

Titles that I've upgraded in the past year:
Fascination
Martyrs
Serenity
Conan the Barbarian
Street Trash
Dodgeball
My Cousin Vinny
The Thing
Super Troopers
Alien Anthology
Sex and Zen
Battlestar Galactica (new series)
Donnie Darko
Lifeforce
Return of the Living Dead
Re-animator
From Beyond
Night of the Demons 2
Evil Dead 2
The Matrix
Firefly (the complete series)

planned upgrades:
Devil's Backbone
Oldboy
American Werewolf in London
The Big Lebowski
Dressed to Kill
Big Trouble in Little China
Audition
In the Mouth of Madness
Ghostbusters
Austin Powers International Man of Mystery
Enter the Dragon
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I'm in the same boat. I have 3 kids and a lot of expenses. I used to buy DVDs like crazy and now I actually buy more DVDs because I never pay more than $3-5 for them. As for Blus, I only buy it if I really want it and usually don't upgrade, unless it is something I love or VERY CHEAP!! Even if it is $10, I don't upgrade.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
baggio
HackMaster

Because of the "wasted" money on rushing to get dvd's close to release date, I now refuse to buy any Blu-Rays at initial high prices. Some titles from Scream Factory rarely come down in price, but for the most part I won't pay over $10 for a Blu movie. If I have it already on DVD, I do major research on picture/sound quality before I even think about an upgrade.

Last edited by baggio; 07-24-2013 at 09:33 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Because of the "wasted" money on rushing to get dvd's close to release date, I now refuse to buy any Blu-Rays at initial high prices. Some titles from Scream Factory rarely come down in price, but for the most part I won't pay over $10 for a Blu movie. If I have it already on DVD, I do major research on picture/sound quality before I even think about an upgrade.
Mah nigga.

Hopefully we can start getting some more feedback on this thread, more people asking about certain titles, to help ones such as your- and myself to make more informed decisions.

-Paff
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
baggio
HackMaster

Here's an example:

Body Double (1984)

I don't own any media version of this movie. There is the original DVD, a Special Edition DVD, and Twilight Times Limited edition Blu-Ray

*Average prices

DVD - $9 - $12 (both 1:85 & 4:3 versions included)
SE DVD - $18 - $23 (digitally remastered)
TT Blu - $35 Limited to 3000

The TT is a lot of money, "hopefully" it will be the best version. Plus it's limited. The $35 price tag is the only deterrent. But looking at the SE DVD version price, it's seems to be the better value in the long run.

Comparison between the 2 DVD's (not the Blu)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdrev...ody_double.htm

Looks like both DVD are almost identical. The advantage of the SE is the special features, but for double the price? If one didn't care about the special features, I would go with the first release. Seems like that "digitally remastered" was just a slight improvement.

Last edited by baggio; 07-25-2013 at 04:05 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Here's an example:

Body Double (1984)

I don't own any media version of this movie. There is the original DVD, a Special Edition DVD, and Twilight Times Limited edition Blu-Ray

*Average prices

DVD - $9 - $12 (both 1:85 & 4:3 versions included)
SE DVD - $18 - $23 (digitally remastered)
TT Blu - $35 Limited to 3000

The TT is a lot of money, "hopefully" it will be the best version. Plus it's limited. The $35 price tag is the only deterrent. But looking at the SE DVD version price, it's seems to be the better value in the long run.

Comparison between the 2 DVD's (not the Blu)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdrev...ody_double.htm
I'm wondering how well some of the diffuse-filtered films of the 70s and 80s are going to fair on Blu. Since the very nature of the look is lacking in definition, will the upgrade be worth it in cases such as De Palma?

-Paff