Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancetx View Post
I have two versions of the soundtrack LP with slightly different track lists. One is a Japanese import that I believe includes the Human League track ronnie21 mentions was cut from the MGM DVD release (they're in storage or I'd check and confirm.)

No mention of deleted or alternate scenes. TV versions apparently include an extended scene of the guys going to the pharmacist to treat their crabs. Also, a different opening credits sequence.

And someone claims the version shown on cable in the early 80s includes a scene of the guys hooking up with transvestites. After one of the guys discovers "THIS CHICK'S GOT BALLS!!" they cut to them washing their mouths out with whiskey. Now I remember seeing this scene in the early days of HBO but I can't figure how it would fit into "The Last American Virgin." Anyone else remember this scene and what it's from?
That sounds more like Bachelor Party, where one of Tom Hanks' friends does indeed hook up with a tranny.

When watching it the other night, I noticed they do list a Human League song in the closing credits, but I didn't remember hearing one. Of course, I'm not the world's biggest Human League fan, so who knows. Usually in situations like that, they'll just repeat a song they've already used. I think I heard either Da do do do de dah dah dah by The Police, or Whip It by Devo twice. I'd bet that one of those times was supposed to be the Human League song.

This is probably the most I've written, or even thought about The Human League in my entire life.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
Workshed
October!

I tried watching Lemon Popsicle last night and perhaps I need to watch LAV first in order to appreciate LP, because I turned it off halfway through. I found the characters unappealing, unattractive, and the plot unable to keep my interest. The film seemed unsure of what it wanted to be: a sex comedy or a coming of age drama. On the one hand, it had its over the top moments--the horny neighbor lady--but then it tried to ground itself with earnest sympathy for the three terrible leads. Very few films can have it both ways (so to speak), and Lemon Popsicle is not one of them.

Still interested in LAV, however.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #33
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
I tried watching Lemon Popsicle last night and perhaps I need to watch LAV first in order to appreciate LP, because I turned it off halfway through. I found the characters unappealing, unattractive, and the plot unable to keep my interest. The film seemed unsure of what it wanted to be: a sex comedy or a coming of age drama. On the one hand, it had its over the top moments--the horny neighbor lady--but then it tried to ground itself with earnest sympathy for the three terrible leads. Very few films can have it both ways (so to speak), and Lemon Popsicle is not one of them.

Still interested in LAV, however.
Then you wonīt like Last American Version either...

It is a very close remake... and it is also a sex comedy and a coming of age drama. Both have unappealing characters, it is with the situations of the movie that you have to relate to.
Cīmon, you gotta love Benji. The first 3 are very dramatic coming of age movies with a little comedy. Only with the 4th part is when you start to have plenty T&A comedy.

Last edited by Demoni; 04-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #34
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Then you wonīt like Last American Version either...

It is a very close remake... and it is also a sex comedy and a coming of age drama. Both have unappealing characters, it is with the situations of the movie that you have to relate to.
Cīmon, you gotta love Benji. The first 3 are very dramatic coming of age movies with a little comedy. Only with the 4th part is when you start to have plenty T&A comedy.
Understood about the similarities, but I hope the execution of LAV differs from LP.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #35
Paff

I can't comment on Lemon Popsicle vs. Last American Virgin (only seen LAV), but at the very least it does have good nudity (Diane Franklin full frontal, and that cute chick from the beginning) and a kicking 80s new wave soundtrack.

On that subject though, I always hated that stupid "Are You Ready For The Sex Girls?" song. It also was prominently featured in Revenge of the Nerds, and probably some other 80s teen sex comedies. I WAS a teen in the 80s, and even then that song made me cringe. Sounded like a 12-year old wrote the lyrics.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #36
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I can't comment on Lemon Popsicle vs. Last American Virgin (only seen LAV), but at the very least it does have good nudity (Diane Franklin full frontal, and that cute chick from the beginning) and a kicking 80s new wave soundtrack.

On that subject though, I always hated that stupid "Are You Ready For The Sex Girls?" song. It also was prominently featured in Revenge of the Nerds, and probably some other 80s teen sex comedies. I WAS a teen in the 80s, and even then that song made me cringe. Sounded like a 12-year old wrote the lyrics.
As a child of the 80s I give my hand at "Last American Virgin" for itīs soundtrack, but because I grew up with "Lemon Popsicle" more than "Last American Virgin" it is one of those movies that has a great deal of nostalgia... and the 50s/60s soundtrack is great.

My god, "Are You Ready For The Sex Girls?" still plays on my Ipod... I admit it, it is a very repetitive song but nostalgia makes me love it.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #37
ronnie21
HackMaster

only problem with the soundtrac was they repeated too many songs. The song i wish they would have saved for the last scene. was "just once" that would have been a surprise. but they played it 2 times before and it kinda ruined the ending for a friend of mine who in the last scene complained about how they are playing this song again, before realizing what was happening in the movie, the shock ending..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #38
booper71
HackMaster

At 11 years old in 1982 I was ready to marry Dianne Franklin but at the end of the movie she broke my heart! So, I moved on to Phoebe Cates and Betsy Russell instead.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #39
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
At 11 years old in 1982 I was ready to marry Dianne Franklin but at the end of the movie she broke my heart! So, I moved on to Phoebe Cates and Betsy Russell instead.
Can't go wrong with any of those three

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #40
ronnie21
HackMaster

I REMMEBER having a huge crush on Jennifer Jason leigh around sept 83 when fast times was all over cable, there was this girl I went to school with who looked like her. with the long brown hair. only thing was. she hated me and had a crush on my friend. so see, even in real life these movies were so real..I also remember years later when leigh went from a long straight brown hair gal to a short blonde, then I was done with her. not the same person to me..
Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
ronnie21
HackMaster

aside from her pretty looks (Diane franklin), her acting in LAV was pretty shitty..
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #42
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
I REMMEBER having a huge crush on Jennifer Jason leigh around sept 83 when fast times was all over cable, there was this girl I went to school with who looked like her. with the long brown hair. only thing was. she hated me and had a crush on my friend. so see, even in real life these movies were so real..I also remember years later when leigh went from a long straight brown hair gal to a short blonde, then I was done with her. not the same person to me..
Old 05-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #43
booper71
HackMaster

Listened to Gleaming Spires discography. Never knew the drummer from Devo came from there!
Here is one of their better songs, the video has a creepy ice cream truck and lyrics that say "Funk the Children before they go to school".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuvdIyWgWcw
Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #44
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Any of you guys fans of SEX IS ZERO? It's a Korean remake updated for the post-AMERICAN PIE generation. I thought it was pretty darn funny. Here's the trailer Panik House put together for their release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UyWFVuXgf8

(For some reason their disc was non-anamorphic. The earlier Korean import I have looks a lot nicer.)
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #45
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
Listened to Gleaming Spires discography. Never knew the drummer from Devo came from there!
Here is one of their better songs, the video has a creepy ice cream truck and lyrics that say "Funk the Children before they go to school".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuvdIyWgWcw
Gleaming Spires was also the rest of the band Sparks (after the Mael brothers) for their 80s incarnation. The "Angst in my Pants" era. Of course, the Maels wrote all the music and lyrics, so GS were basically just session musicians.

Too bad they couldn't have siphoned off at least 5% of Ron Mael's lyrical talent while they were working with him...

Paff's Laserdiscs