Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
maybrick
HackMaster

Upgrading a film to blu-ray sounds good until...

..you realize that the last time you watched that particular film was when you just bought it on DVD. Anybody else have that dilemma? I am more and more, most recently with The Vampire Lovers. I love Hammer and once upon a time I took it upon myself to buy all of their films. But ultimately I don't revisit them that often. With the Vampire Lovers, I want the new disc, but so far I haven't even justified my original purchase yet. I would have been better off simply renting it and saving 10 bucks.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
booper71
HackMaster

I haven't revisited the Evil Dead Trilogy or Halloween in years and don't plan to on Blu for some time. I feel they wore out their welcome with so many different versions being available on DVD.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
I haven't revisited the Evil Dead Trilogy or Halloween in years and don't plan to on Blu for some time. I feel they wore out their welcome with so many different versions being available on DVD.
So true! But I did buy Evil Dead 2 on Blu.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
So true! But I did buy Evil Dead 2 on Blu.
Definitely! Target had it for so cheap it was impossible to resist, especially with all of the extras.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
X-human
I ate my keys

Ingrid Pitt having nude lesbian sleep overs is something I'll watch again and again in HD gladly, so no I don't get what you mean by using Vampire Lovers as an example.

But yes I've learned to be more objective in what I buy either on Blu-ray or even DVD. When Blu-ray first came out I found myself snatching up anything remotely in the realm of interest, after a couple of years I realized I was making the same mistake I was making with DVD.

Fortunately I found myself putting off many DVD purchases in the end because I was waiting for the eventual Blu-ray. This mindset gave my years of practice to eventually build up the will to pass on titles I may only have a passing interest in. Now if I'm not 100% positive I'll be constantly revisiting something I'll rent before I buy.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
russweiss
Maniac

There are certain titles I just want in my collection even if I won't watch them time and time again. Vampire Lovers (and just about any other Hammer title) is certainly one of them.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I don't want to march to the same tune here as it can make for a boring thread, but I have for the most part been VERY selective with what I purchase on blu-ray. I will 99% of the time only buy a title I'm already familiar with and know that I will revisit it at least a couple of times. I was an impulse buyer with DVD, sometimes just for the sake of fluffing up the number of movies in my collection. No more.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Stige
HackMaster

I promised myself I wouldn't, but I found myself buying films I have only watched once when bought maybe years ago. Maybe I should REALLY consider this better in the future
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Upgrading a film to blu-ray sounds good until...

... you find out it's hardly any better than the dvd, covered in dnr and missing most extras. I try to read reviews for everything now before buying.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
baggio
HackMaster

There is a big list of Olive Films & Shout Factory movies that I want on Blu-Ray.

But it's so hard to justify paying over $20 for a Blu. And the prices almost never seem to drop. These films should be under $10 now. Especially the ones that have been out about a year. I made some mistakes with dvd, I'm not doing it with Blu-Ray. But dam those prices don't move.

Last edited by baggio; 05-07-2013 at 05:48 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
There is a big list of Olive Films & Shout Factory movies that I want on Blu-Ray.

But it's so hard to justify paying over $20 for a Blu. And the prices almost never seem to drop. These films should be under $10 now. Especially the ones that have been out about a year. I made some mistakes with dvd, I'm not doing it with Blu-Ray. But dam those prices don't move.
Check ImportCDs. They have great prices on Olive titles and Shout/ Scream sometimes as well.

In Canada, Amazon.ca has had great prices on Shout/ Scream titles as well.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Check ImportCDs. They have great prices on Olive titles and Shout/ Scream sometimes as well.

In Canada, Amazon.ca has had great prices on Shout/ Scream titles as well.
Thank you, I will check ImportCDs out.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

^ They usually have a 10% off sale in June, so you might want to hold off a month if you can...
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

I'm not purchasing anything on Blu that I already own on DVD.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
I'm not purchasing anything on Blu that I already own on DVD.
I mostly try to stick to that principle, although I have slipped a few times. Most of my Blu Ray double dips were movies that I had on Laserdisc (but not DVD), so there is indeed a quality jump for me.

There are a few exceptions though, like Pulp Fiction, which I've owned on VHS, Laserdisc (3 different versions!!), DVD, and now Blu-Ray. Some of the Bond movies have been double-dipped for me as well, but only the ones I like. The lesser films I'm just keeping on DVD.
Carrie was probably a bad choice to buy, as the quality is still pretty much the same, and the Blu does not have the boatload of extras that the DVD has, so I'm forced to keep both.
I saw mediocre reviews of Jackie Chan's Police Story movies, so I'm passing on the Blu there and sticking with the DVD.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote