Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
booper71
HackMaster

It's not all negative, a couple of years from now my son might be able to watch Leprechaun In Space with me!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
mhmmm..........
Well of course there's the one I had with you, but I thought we weren't going to bring that up.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i despise shit like storage wars or whatever, where you're just watching people do their job.
You're not watching people do their jobs, you're watching them act like they are doing their jobs. I like the show but know it's fake and I'll prove it. When they find a Gibson guitar, Gibson will be thanked for providing stuff in the end credits. Same for almost every "big" find. Not thanked for letting their names be used, thanked for providing! The show is a crock in that aspect. Hardcore Pawn is also fake as can be. They tried to sell me a story to act out when I went to the store during filming. I even filmed a different story I made up, but it never aired. It probably never will either, as Big Joe hauled me out of the building, but he was fired and arrested for stealing this season. The arrest looked like it might be real, but I still have my doubts.

I think the show with the auction house in Atlanta might be mostly real, can't say for sure though.

By the way, despite my user name I also have no kids.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
spawningblue
Deadite

Like dave13, my girlfriend and I just recently had our first child as well, and it's hard to find time to watch anything. My girlfriend isn't a huge fan of horror, other then you guessed it, The Walking Dead. Mind you she doesn't mind other horror flicks as long as they aren't to gorey, realistic, or about ghosts or religion. Most movies are interrupted by our son, so most of my movie watching starts at 10 or 11pm, and being so late it's rare that I can make through a movie in one sitting.

As he gets older I will try to get him into horror although I will probably keep them age appropriate, to a point anyway.

I am starting a podcast with my friend in the near future though, so we'll see how that goes with keeping up watching films. I think it should be fine though, I'll just have to have a coffee at 10pm haha.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
Mattapooh
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shithead View Post
I look down upon and laugh at you kiddie having married fools.

I watch what I want, whenever I want to! ..........HAHHAAHAHAAHA!
What's that? Sorry man, I can't hear you over the sound of me groping my gorgeous wife's booty.

In all seriousness, I'm digging those of you with kids chiming in on whether or not your kids are following in your footsteps. We have three: ten, three and 1.5 and none of them are confirmed. The oldest doesn't really have any interest in movies whatsoever. The three-year-old is a movie fiend, but she tends to watch Disney or Barbie movies exclusively. We went to see the 3D re-release of Monsters Inc. and she really liked that, but it's mostly her age.

When I was three or four, my parents told me I put The Blues Brothers into the Betamax (yeah, dating myself here) almost every single day for a year. Our three-year-old has that going on.

I think movies just aren't special to kids now. When we were young (I'm 33), the idea of watching a movie at home was still a big deal. OWNING a movie was almost unheard of. Renting movies was an event, as was seeing them in a theatre. Kids today don't get the same buzz for movies like we did, it's pretty sad.

I'm really hoping the younger two grow up to be movie lovers because my DVD collection is full of movies I'd love to introduce to them as they get older.
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #21
Mattapooh
Maniac

Also, I have the bonus of having a wife that adores horror flicks so we don't have arguments about what we're going to watch. 80s action flicks and sex comedies, old blaxploitation, rape and revenge flicks, she loves all of it. She even stuck around when I watched "Invasion of the Saucer Men" and enjoyed it, she totally gets why I love 50s sci-fi as well.

It's gonna be weird as hell if none of that rubs off on the kids, I have to say.
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattapooh View Post
I can't hear you over the sound of me groping my gorgeous wife's booty.
Pix?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
Dobby
HackMaster

Ahh crap you boys are so lucky never mind............

Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #24
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I know that movies that show families in peril are much harder for me to watch now. Films that hit home, not Friday the 13th style slashers or other more fantasy oriented horror. That is an attitude adjustment, but as for viewing habits, yes I something have to wait until later to watch some of my flicks. My older son is 13 and some of them I let him watch, but I'm very selective.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #25
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattapooh View Post
I think movies just aren't special to kids now. When we were young (I'm 33), the idea of watching a movie at home was still a big deal. OWNING a movie was almost unheard of. Renting movies was an event, as was seeing them in a theatre. Kids today don't get the same buzz for movies like we did, it's pretty sad.

I'm really hoping the younger two grow up to be movie lovers because my DVD collection is full of movies I'd love to introduce to them as they get older.
well said. when i was growing up, we didn't even own a tv and vcr. we had to rent those too (god, its incredible to think back to a time when that was common). we'd rent the tv and vcr, and about half a dozen movies, then spend the whole weekend watching them (sometimes over and over again). we had to rearrange the living room, pull the couch out into the middle of the room and set the tv up at one end. that shit was more exciting than christmas! it probably only happened once every three months or so (impossible to tell for sure, i was around 6 years old, but that's how it seemed), so renting movies is literally one of my favorite childhood memories. mostly Disney stuff, like The Love Bug, Pete's Dragon, Blackbeard's Ghost, The Apple Dumpling Gang. But also, later on we had stuff like star wars. its sad to think my girl won't have any idea what thats like. like you, i have nerdy dreams of introducing her to "young" horror films like Poltergeist, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, The Monster Squad. I'll be pretty bummed if that doesn't happen.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #26
booper71
HackMaster

I rented a NES and Sega Master System before, they wanted like $20 deposit and ten bucks a night, games were about five dollars for two nights.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #27
booper71
HackMaster

I mentioned the games because back then VCRs were like a thousand bucks, but the rentals fell in the pattern of what I put that the games and systems were renting for.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #28
booper71
HackMaster

Also, if a movie was BIG BOX, it would often have a special 99 cent rental rate, there was no big box I turned down while shunning the more expensive new rentals.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #29
fart_mike
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Ahh crap you boys are so lucky never mind............

Dobs, you posted this for me, didn't you? I'll bring the mustard!

As for the topic at hand, I've really had fun raising a now 8 year old daughter to not be afraid of horror...as a child, I was told by my mom that "oh, it's just a rubber mask! just remember, it's face paint and ketchup!"...with DVD supplements these days, my daughter gets the proof that I wasn't getting from my mom...she gets to see robert englund become freddy with glue and appliances...she's met a leatherface (bill johnson from part 2) and 2 jasons (cj graham and ted white) at conventions...and because i've seen these films so many times apiece, i can give her a sanitized viewing experience (with my trusty mute and chapter skip buttons)...
fart_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
The Chaostar
Johnny Hallyday forever

Yes it has. When someone murders a kid in a movie and there is no dramatic excuse for it (just shock value) I want to shit in the director's mouth while his mom is watching.