Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #31
x666x
HackMaster

Jesus, this will be be amazing. Can't wait!
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #32
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Every time I hear news of another Grindhouse Releasing blu-ray, I'm constantly let down when it's not Pieces.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #33
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'm hoping that DVD Pacific will offer this at a much lower price than Amazon (as they did with HIPPIE and CORRUPTION).

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #34
gunner
Cropsy Maniac

Quote:
Every time I hear news of another Grindhouse Releasing blu-ray, I'm constantly let down when it's not Pieces.
Couldn't agree more, beautiful transfer and the dvd release should have been a blu-ray anyway! But Bruce H did say, it'll be coming in 2014, along with other their other previous releases. These ones get a bump because the rights from Sony run out shortly.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #35
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I'm waiting for Gone With the Pope.

Isn't there a German release of Pieces that is far superior than the Grindhouse/Arrow transfers? Hopefully if Grindhouse does in fact release a BD, it is of that print. The darker scenes in the DVD transfer are not that great....still a good transfer though.

Thank God Grindhouse is still alive more than ever.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #36
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

One of the best from the Spaghetti West makes its domestic debut when Grindhouse Releasing issue Sergio Sollima's THE BIG GUNDOWN (1966) in an astounding four-disc special edition! When a young girl is found raped and murdered, legendary bounty hunter Johnathan Corbett (Lee Van Cleef) is called upon by a local railroad baron to track down the accused, promising to fund the famed justice seeker's bid for Senate once the task is complete. His mark? Mexican outlaw Cuchillo (Tomas Milian), an expert knife-man whose guilt comes into question the closer Corbett gets to finishing his job. What's the real reason for this impending assassination?

Especially reminiscent of Sollima's poliziotteschi classic REVOLVER, the earlier GUNDOWN shows the director in fine form a decade prior, already establishing the themes he would carry throughout his entire oeuvre. Van Cleef's performance ranks among his best, perhaps even besting his work in Leone's THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Milian's character was so popular he was brought back for 1968's RUN MAN RUN. Ennio Morricone's unforgettable score is widely considered one of the genre's finest.

THE BIG GUNDOWN never even garnered a VHS issue in the States, so Grindhouse's set is a real cause for celebration. In addition to hi-def restorations of the full English and Italian versions, we get interviews with director Sollima, star Milian and screenwriter Sergio Donati, audio commentary by Western experts C. Courtney Joyner And Henry C. Parke, trailers, photo galleries, liner notes, and the complete soundtrack on a limited bonus CD! It looks to be another typically definitive package in the Grindhouse Releasing tradition.

Blu / DVD / CD Combo Preorder now live at Amazon (12/10). Direct link plus tons more available at my Upcoming Releases list:
http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/2...s-of-note.html

Theatrical Trailer!
http://youtu.be/UQ_CN7ECekQ

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Was "Big Gundown" Sony's only spaghetti western?
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #38
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Mondo Digital reviews The Big Gundown: http://www.mondo-digital.com/gundown.html
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #39
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Rock!Shock!Pop! on THE BIG GUNDOWN

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...ig-Gundown-The

Old 12-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #40
Eddyw78
Stalker

Waiting for my copy of this to ship. Cant wait. Now what to do with my Franco Cleef bootleg?
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #41
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

I think "The Swimmer" might be their next release, which I have no interest in. Need to get that out of the way so we can get to the good stuff: Pieces, Cannibals Holocaust & Ferox, and Gone With the Pope for starters. I'm a little burned out on The Beyond but will still buy their release.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #42
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Some notes from Bob Murawski on the BIG GUNDOWN restoration:

"Absolutely no DVNR was employed in the production of this release. Considerably clean-up work was done, but it was all done painstakingly by hand. Frame-by-frame. We did no artificial sharpening of the image. And to maintain optimal picture quality, the picture media was kept as uncompressed 10-bit files at every step along the way until it was encoded in the blu-ray authoring process. Studio standard has become Pro-res HQ delivery. These files are smaller and easier to deal with, but they are compressed. We at Grindhouse Releasing consider this unacceptable. The files we delivered to our authoring house were about 800 gigabytes per version of the movie - over 1.5 terabytes total!

As for the decision to not include a hybrid track, it's exactly what Bruce says. There were so many small edits made to cut this film down for the U.S. release that the composite track constantly switched back and forth and was too distracting and disconcerting. We felt it was a disservice to the filmmakers to present the movie like this. For more info on the cuts you can check out the DVD-ROM material on the DVD disc. There is an in-depth essay detailing the cuts, and a Columbia Pictures editing memo dating back to 1968 that our partners at the studio discovered in their files and allowed us to include in the release.

Anyway, we worked very hard to make this the best release possible. We hope everyone likes it.

Bob Murawski
Grindhouse Releasing
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #43
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

THE BIG GUNDOWN is now down to $23.92 at Amazon.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #44
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
THE BIG GUNDOWN is now down to $23.92 at Amazon.
Damn, wish I'd waited. My order from Importcds was shipped on 12/8, which means I won't get it for a couple of weeks .Amazon pulled a fast one - they're on a price hike frenzy, not price cut.

Last edited by elDomenechHDG; 12-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #45
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Damn, wish I'd waited. My order from Importcds was shipped on 12/8, which means I won't get it for a couple of weeks .Amazon pulled a fast one - they're on a price hike frenzy, not price cut.
I kind of wish I'd waited also now. I ordered it back on the ImportCDs 10% off sale. I think it was like $22.73 with shipping in a larger order. It shipped back on 12/6 though, so it should hopefully arrive soon.

I hate how they call their shipping "US Postal Service First Class" though. It's friggin' Media/Parcel at best.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote