Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
spawningblue
Deadite
 
spawningblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,054
I would say doing comparisons, the Arrow release almost always look worse, most ever so slightly. All of their discs always seem way too bright, especially noticeable with their horror films. The only disc that seems to look better is Zombie, and even that disc is a little too bright for me, and probably their upcoming Time Bandits disc since the Image release was only 1080i.
__________________
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
Katatonia
Master of Doom
 
Katatonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
All of their discs always seem way too bright, especially noticeable with their horror films.
Arrow almost always boosts the brightness and contrast way up on their transfers. Blacks often look grey, etc..

I will say that their Blu-ray of Zombie looks better than the BU. Although I am hesitant to even order it since they screwed up the authoring on the disc. If the new pressing is out there in retail now, fine, but I don't want to bother getting a replacement disc from overseas.
__________________
"We know nothing in reality; for truth lies in an abyss." - Democritus

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,306
Should City of the Living Dead and Deep Red be considered draws? Wanted some opinions before I keep adding to the list.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Katatonia
Master of Doom
 
Katatonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Should City of the Living Dead and Deep Red be considered draws? Wanted some opinions before I keep adding to the list.
There are detailed screenshot comparisons here:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...leich=deep_red

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...he_living_dead

I see less digital noise in BU's Deep Red encode.

And with City of the Living Dead, the BU release clearly wins. Example here.
__________________
"We know nothing in reality; for truth lies in an abyss." - Democritus

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
There are detailed screenshot comparisons here:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...leich=deep_red

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...he_living_dead

I see less digital noise in BU's Deep Red encode.

And with City of the Living Dead, the BU release clearly wins. Example here.
Thanks for that Katatonia
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,306
Ok, so far the first post has been updated with 3 titles that we know have better PQ.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
MorallySound
There is no magic.
 
MorallySound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,134
Arrow's Black Sunday Blu-ray > Kino's Black Sunday Blu-ray

The Arrow transfer has a slightly higher bitrate, and is a tad brighter with some more detail. The Kino's actually looks a touch dark comparatively. And the Arrow wins big-time when it comes to supplemental material:

Same content on both releases:
- The Mask of Satan cut (although Kino's is actually shorter, missing a small bit of footage)
- Audio commentary by Tim Lucas
- US trailer
- International Trailer
- TV spot
- Other Bava trailers

Arrow exclusives:
- A.I.P. re-edited and re-dubbed Black Sabbath cut with Les Baxter score
- two audio options for the Mask of Satan cut: Italian and European English
- intro to the film by author and critic Alan Jones
- interview with Barbara Steele
- deleted scene from the Italian version with notes by Tim Lucas
- I Vampiri feature film (Italy's first sound horror film co-directed by Bava)
- US I Vampiri trailer ‘The Devil’s Commandment’
- reversible cover featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Booklet with new writings on the film by Matt Bailey and Alan Jones
- Blu-ray/DVD combo
__________________
"Things only seem to be magic. There is no real magic. There's no real magic ever." - Martin

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #23
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Arrow's Black Sunday Blu-ray > Kino's Black Sunday Blu-ray

The Arrow transfer has a slightly higher bitrate, and is a tad brighter with some more detail. The Kino's actually looks a touch dark comparatively. And the Arrow wins big-time when it comes to supplemental material:

Same content on both releases:
- The Mask of Satan cut (although Kino's is actually shorter, missing a small bit of footage)
- Audio commentary by Tim Lucas
- US trailer
- International Trailer
- TV spot
- Other Bava trailers

Arrow exclusives:
- A.I.P. re-edited and re-dubbed Black Sabbath cut with Les Baxter score
- two audio options for the Mask of Satan cut: Italian and European English
- intro to the film by author and critic Alan Jones
- interview with Barbara Steele
- deleted scene from the Italian version with notes by Tim Lucas
- I Vampiri feature film (Italy's first sound horror film co-directed by Bava)
- US I Vampiri trailer ‘The Devil’s Commandment’
- reversible cover featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Booklet with new writings on the film by Matt Bailey and Alan Jones
- Blu-ray/DVD combo
Thanks MorallySound, I updated the first post with your info
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #24
mlock
Stalker
 
mlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
I have the Arrow BD of The Funhouse. The Shout version has a 5.1 mix as opposed to the 2 channel 1.5mbps DTS track on the Arrow. Does the 5.1 add alot as The Funhouse does rely on surround sound on quite a few Also is this scenes. Also is this stereo DTS track on the Arrow considered as lossless? It does have the same bitrate as a 2 channel LPCM track
I also own Arrow's version of The Funhouse and remember being quite surprised that my receiver clearly indicated it as being encoded with "DTS 2.0 Stereo", despite simply stating 2.0 Stereo (which to me means a Dolby audio codec) as it does on the packaging. If it were a lossless track, my receiver would've shown DTS-HD MSTR on the display, which it does not, so I guess it's a lossy 2 channel track. I haven't seen the SF release so I can't comment on how their 5.1 track sounds.
__________________
"13's a fucked up age, too old to get tit, too young to get ass!" The People Under the Stairs

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv

Last edited by mlock; 06-10-2013 at 07:58 AM.
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #25
Steel76
Maniac
 
Steel76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 933
I think the original 2.0 mix on Arrow sounds great.

I often prefer the original stereo mixes, as many 5.1 remixes just sounds unnatural, and often they throw some effects in the rear channels, that are not supposed to be there, just for the hell of it, which often can be distracting. And I hate when they add new sound FX to fill the back channels with. Though, I don´t know how well done the Scream Factory remix is.
__________________
Watching my filthy collection on Super 8mm, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and Blu-Ray.
Steel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
17thJuggalo
HackMaster
 
17thJuggalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,794
I have a really outdated audio system from 10+ years ago so I can't really comment on Arrow's audio quality. However, I always thought their video quality was pretty good and their extras and packaging often outshine other releases elsewhere.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
mlock
Stalker
 
mlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
I have a really outdated audio system from 10+ years ago so I can't really comment on Arrow's audio quality. However, I always thought their video quality was pretty good and their extras and packaging often outshine other releases elsewhere.
I agree! Pretty much the reason why I choose Arrow over the domestic SF version. Similar to the debate I had when choosing between BU's Zombie vs Arrow's release. It came down to sound mix and transfer or special features and transfer. As much as I enjoy a well done audio mix, I just had to go for the features.
__________________
"13's a fucked up age, too old to get tit, too young to get ass!" The People Under the Stairs

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
Eddyw78
Stalker
 
Eddyw78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Derby UK
Posts: 415
I thought the two channel DTS on the Arrow BD was actually rather good and was probably authentic to the original early 80s Dolby Stereo mix. I was only wondering how it compared to the 5.1 on the Shout release. I did notice quite alot of surround activity throughout the film and the score sounded great. It is though the only BD i own that says DTS 2.0 on my reciever but if it sounds decent enough who cares what the codec is. As i said before this has the same 1.5mbps bitrate as all my BDs that use uncompressed 2.0 channel LPCM.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #29
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,575
The only Arrow that I own is Forbidden Zone which, as far as I know, has no US parallel on blu ray. It kicks all sorts of ass and is just as good as anything that Criterion produces.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #30
MorallySound
There is no magic.
 
MorallySound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,134
Looks like Arrow's Blu-ray of Black Sabbath easily out-trumps the Kino bare-bones release: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ck_sabbath.htm
__________________
"Things only seem to be magic. There is no real magic. There's no real magic ever." - Martin

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com