Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #151
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I thought Dean Cundey's transfer was more orange-y in the day and had more intense blue in the evenings. I am not sure as I never had that DVD but that's what I had read. These daytime shots don't look orange-y at all but have a "slight cold, gray feel" like the reviewer describes. Is this different from the look of the previous Cunday-approved transfer?
Deepred, after looking at the daytime screenshots you're 100% right. I was on the phone with a long-winded client when I initially looked at the review. And after seeing the deep blue tint in the shot of Michael holding the phone I assumed all was well. But the daytime scenes are much more neutral in color than they are on the THX DVD--where they definitely have an orangey autumn-like glow.

Here are a couple comparisons (DVD screenshots are my own):

The 2nd shot really drives home how different the trees look. On the DVD the leaves appear to be turning colors. On the new Blu-ray they look absolutely green.

Screenshots can be misleading. So I'll reserve judgment. But it looks entirely possible that the new release fixed the night issues without addressing the color timing errors in the daytime scenes.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #152
Matt89
HackMaster

But that's the thing....autumn never "glows" or looks orangey. I think the almost drab color timing on this release is more true to what fall look like. I like the look of it! Can't wait!

I can only imagine what's going on over at the blu-ray.com forums about this transfer...

~Matt
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #153
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
But that's the thing....autumn never "glows" or looks orangey. I think the almost drab color timing on this release is more true to what fall look like. I like the look of it! Can't wait!

I can only imagine what's going on over at the blu-ray.com forums about this transfer...

~Matt
Hardly any meaningful discussion and anyone who disagrees with the other is a troll.

I am use to the more glowy appearance, even though that doesn't look like true autumn, much like the intense blues at night don't look like true evening. I thought it was a stylistic choice and one I always liked but maybe it wasn't.

Last edited by deepred; 09-17-2013 at 08:41 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #154
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I'm good with the previous blu-ray. Much like Code Red's Madman DVD, I actually prefer the unfiltered look, even if it wasn't the intention of the director / DP.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #155
Katatonia
Master of Doom

So, it looks like it's confirmed now that the US Blu-ray is just a single disc.

Does anybody know if the UK Blu-ray is definitely supposed to be a 2-disc release? It's still listed that way most places.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #156
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

GodDAMNIT! I was hoping for some scathing reviews to keep me from buying this film for the 8th (I think) time. Fuckity-fuck!!!

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #157
ronnie21
HackMaster

Yep , me too iam sold. I will be ordering this and psycho II next week...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #158
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Hardly any meaningful discussion and anyone who disagrees with the other is a troll.

I am use to the more glowy appearance, even though that doesn't look like true autumn, much like the intense blues at night don't look like true evening. I thought it was a stylistic choice and one I always liked but maybe it wasn't.
I agree. I like the look of the THX DVD and suspect it's the most accurate presentation we'll ever get in terms of color timing. It's discouraging that Cundey has now approved two vastly different transfers. I have a feeling his memory was a lot better in 1999. I know mine was.

That said, the night scenes on the first Blu-ray were more troubling to me than the daytime scenes. And they appear to be a lot more accurate compared to the THX edition.

I'm tempering my disappointment until I actually get the disc in my hands. But I'm starting to think we have a white whale situation here. Unless the posted screenshots of the new Blu-ray are misleading we still don't have a definitive presentation of this film. And considering how historically important it is that's both ridiculous and incredibly irksome.

And it probably means I'll be buying YET ANOTHER version in the future.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #159
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
So, it looks like it's confirmed now that the US Blu-ray is just a single disc.

Does anybody know if the UK Blu-ray is definitely supposed to be a 2-disc release? It's still listed that way most places.
No official word yet but my bet is it would be a dvd of the movie.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #160
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
I agree. I like the look of the THX DVD and suspect it's the most accurate presentation we'll ever get in terms of color timing. It's discouraging that Cundey has now approved two vastly different transfers. I have a feeling his memory was a lot better in 1999. I know mine was.

That said, the night scenes on the first Blu-ray were more troubling to me than the daytime scenes. And they appear to be a lot more accurate compared to the THX edition.

I'm tempering my disappointment until I actually get the disc in my hands. But I'm starting to think we have a white whale situation here. Unless the posted screenshots of the new Blu-ray are misleading we still don't have a definitive presentation of this film. And considering how historically important it is that's both ridiculous and incredibly irksome.

And it probably means I'll be buying YET ANOTHER version in the future.
I look forward to your review. I am still on the fence myself as money is tight.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #161
ronnie21
HackMaster

Trust me people, this is defiantly not the last time this movie will be released on Blu-ray.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #162
deepred
Maniac

Here's another comparison between the 2 Cundey transfers where you can really see the difference. I personally think the THX version looks more like autumn, especially when the sun goes down and hits the yellow and orange leaves just so that time of year.

The new version is way too green. I wish Cundey had looked at his original approved transfer first.

Maybe the 40th anniversary will be definitive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	halloweencomparison.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	6526  
Old 09-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #163
ronnie21
HackMaster

Yeah I have to actually watch this new version and decide how it looks to my eyes in person.. I do think the THX dvd is the best transfer so far, its really more true to what was show in theater in 1978 and 79.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #164
ronnie21
HackMaster

I have to judge this new version with the naked eyes and decide. But the THX DVD version is by far the truest transfer that comes closet to what was shown in theaters in 1978 and 79.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #165
shape22
HackMaster

I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth. But the daytime scenes on the older Blu-ray might actually be closer to the THX version:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2948