Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #166
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth. But the daytime scenes on the older Blu-ray might actually be closer to the THX version:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2948
That is very interesting. I'm confused as to why they've made the colours look even less Autumn-y? The detail on the new disc looks like it's better than the last release but I'm surprised there's pretty much no orange to be seen.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #167
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Yeah I'm a little confused too. I like the orange/browns myself.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #168
Mr. Eddy
Stalker

Can we just get a correct version of this fuckin movie once and for all!!!
Mr. Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #169
thing
Maniac

The reviewer on amazon uk who has one confirmed in the comments on his review that it does have the tv clips as extras on the UK steelbook
Old 09-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #170
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Chicken or the egg?

Even though I saw Halloween at the theater when I was a small kid I don't remember if the trees/leafs looked orange or green (though I vividly remember the blue hue night shots),
but when the movie was shot (in spring) everything was green indeed.

If the original intention was to make the film look more like autumn, and they turned on color filters especially for that, then it should be shown that way. But in a technical sense leaving the leafs green is also correct, because that's the color they were when shooting the movie.

In other words, I might/might not skip this release and wait/not wait for the next one.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #171
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Deepred, after looking at the daytime screenshots you're 100% right. I was on the phone with a long-winded client when I initially looked at the review. And after seeing the deep blue tint in the shot of Michael holding the phone I assumed all was well. But the daytime scenes are much more neutral in color than they are on the THX DVD--where they definitely have an orangey autumn-like glow.

Here are a couple comparisons (DVD screenshots are my own):

The 2nd shot really drives home how different the trees look. On the DVD the leaves appear to be turning colors. On the new Blu-ray they look absolutely green.

Screenshots can be misleading. So I'll reserve judgment. But it looks entirely possible that the new release fixed the night issues without addressing the color timing errors in the daytime scenes.
It may not have the same orange hue, but it at least it looks like the green has been a bit desaturated to my eyes. But color aside, I can't help but notice that the DVD is a murky mess in comparison to this new edition. Considering most of the film takes place at night I can overlook the lack of orange, but I'll probably hold off until it goes down in price. It feels like I just barely bought the last blu ray edition (which I did, last year).
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #172
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth. But the daytime scenes on the older Blu-ray might actually be closer to the THX version:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2948
Yeah, I'm sticking with the original Blu. Pass.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #173
Matt89
HackMaster

Picked this up yesterday and after skimming through the opening daytime scenes and the blue-tinted nighttime scenes...this is honestly one of the best-looking blu-rays I've ever seen. The amount of detail is absolutely astounding. I'm not even kidding, Halloween has never ever looked this good. I couldn't stop staring at the screen. I was totally blown away! Those screencaps DO NOT do it justice. Yes, the opening scenes look kind of drab and pale in tone, but I do like the look of it. It has that gloomy fall feeling and it adds a different feel to the film but I don't takes away from it at all. If anything it compliments the darker scenes later in the film. I dunno, the new color timing "works". There's a beautiful amount of natural film grain throughout the entire movie. The new timing also makes it more shadowy and atmospheric. I'm loving it. It blows the old blu-ray out of the water.

If you don't wanna buy it, that's fine. But you're seriously missing out.

~Matt

Last edited by Matt89; 09-20-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Matt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #174
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I think I might have to upgrade my double disc DVD with the greyish night scenes. Does anyone know if the UK steelbook is region free?
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #175
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
Does anyone know if the UK steelbook is region free?
It depends, they lock some and others are region-free. I'm guessing it will probably be region-free, since the specs seem almost the same as the US release.

The UK Blu-ray from 2007 was region-free. That was pretty much an exact clone of the US Anchor Bay Blu-ray, which was also region-free.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #176
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Picked this up yesterday and after skimming through the opening daytime scenes and the blue-tinted nighttime scenes...this is honestly one of the best-looking blu-rays I've ever seen. The amount of detail is absolutely astounding. I'm not even kidding, Halloween has never ever looked this good. I couldn't stop staring at the screen. I was totally blown away! Those screencaps DO NOT do it justice. Yes, the opening scenes look kind of drab and pale in tone, but I do like the look of it. It has that gloomy fall feeling and it adds a different feel to the film but I don't takes away from it at all. If anything it compliments the darker scenes later in the film. I dunno, the new color timing "works". There's a beautiful amount of natural film grain throughout the entire movie. The new timing also makes it more shadowy and atmospheric. I'm loving it. It blows the old blu-ray out of the water.

If you don't wanna buy it, that's fine. But you're seriously missing out.

~Matt
Thanks for posting this Matt. I'm looking forward to checking out the disc myself.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #177
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Back cover:

http://www.dvdempire.com/backcover/1...n-blu-ray.html
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #178
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Kind of weird that of all of the supplemental material that Anchor Bay has put on the Halloween discs over the years that they could have chosen from, the decide to put the "On Location: 25 Years Later" on their 35th anniversary disc.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #179
Dobby
HackMaster

Is it just me or do the blu-ray pictures posted look like DNR hell?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #180
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Is it just me or do the blu-ray pictures posted look like DNR hell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
The blu-ray of Body Double to me looks like an upconverted DVD. There is allot of grain and nothing looks HD to me.
It is just you.