Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #256
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
I'm sorry, but I just think the 2007 version looks better. While the new one is supposed to be more "natural" it looks actually more dull to me. I don't think I can bring myself to a Blu-Ray double dip.
Mah nigga, I think the same complaint was to be had with the recent release of The Fog. Screens of both look duller in comparison. This may just be a new kick Cundey is on, rewriting history with what his original visual intent was. But honestly, on screen, it doesn't make a difference. You can always boost the brightness and contrast on your TV. Resolution and seeing the patterns on sweaters is what matters to me these days.

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #257
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfuck View Post
Mah nigga, I think the same complaint was to be had with the recent release of The Fog. Screens of both look duller in comparison. This may just be a new kick Cundey is on, rewriting history with what his original visual intent was. But honestly, on screen, it doesn't make a difference. You can always boost the brightness and contrast on your TV. Resolution and seeing the patterns on sweaters is what matters to me these days.
Right, yeah I get the detail is supposed to be much better - that's cool. That would probably be my only reason to upgrade. I'm just a sucker for colors though - probably all that acid I've eaten over the years

As much as I love this movie, I'm not the type that has to own every reincarnation though. We'll see which way the wind blows me over time, but I'm sure there will be a 40th anniversary too

Thanks for the one-on-one!

Bon Anniversaire!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #258
Dobby
HackMaster

So am I to understand the new version is inferior to the old Blu?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #259
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
So am I to understand the new version is inferior to the old Blu?
That certainly doesn't appear to be the case. The overall impressions from our crew are very positive. And by all accounts the night scenes are much closer to the look of the THX DVD. And every reviewer has universally praised the additional sharpness and resolution of the 35th Anniversary edition.

If you're judging based on picture quality there's not much doubt that the new release is superior overall. It's just not the perfect grand slam that nitpickers like myself were hoping for.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #260
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

It's personal preference Dobby. I'm just looking at screen captures, and I know you can only judge so much from that. The colors seem to pop more on the old Blu and the new seems more "gray". However, sharpness and detail are apparently somewhat better on the newer version and it's the way the cinematographer intended it to be supposedly (sounds familiar - NOTLD '90). I can't really tell from the screen captures as far as detail goes, but if folks say it's so I believe them (not that I've really studied it). Then there's all this audio animosity which I don't personally care about, not to say it isn't important. As far as preference goes, I like the more "autumn" look in the older Blu rather than the Summertime lush greens in the new. Whatev's, there's no right or wrong answer.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #261
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Pre-ordered this from Amazon a few months ago and still haven't received a shipping confirmation. I ordered it along with another disc that doesn't come out until October, maybe they're waiting until then to ship them together? I don't know. In the past they just send things (even if they're on the same order as films with later release dates) as they are released.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #262
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Not to steer too far off topic, but as anyone seen this:

http://youtu.be/8vwQ_S4pFmY

Obviously it's something the guy made and not an official release as Anchor Bay's and Scream Factory's respective Halloween films would never be together in a box set, but Damn! I WANT ONE!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #263
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
Not to steer too far off topic, but as anyone seen this:

http://youtu.be/8vwQ_S4pFmY

Obviously it's something the guy made and not an official release as Anchor Bay's and Scream Factory's respective Halloween films would never be together in a box set, but Damn! I WANT ONE!
What the hell? Dood's got some time on his hands. Can you imagine how much something like that would cost?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #264
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
Pre-ordered this from Amazon a few months ago and still haven't received a shipping confirmation. I ordered it along with another disc that doesn't come out until October, maybe they're waiting until then to ship them together? I don't know. In the past they just send things (even if they're on the same order as films with later release dates) as they are released.
If you chose to ship items in fewer deliveries that should probably be the case.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #265
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Picked this up from Walmart earlier and gave it a spin while listening to the audio commentary. The transfer looks really good. I was quite pleased with it, despite owning the earlier BD release. The audio commentary, while a fun listen, Jaime Lee came off as kind of annoying. Been a few years since I listened to their other commentary, but I don't recall her being this way on that one.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #266
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
Picked this up from Walmart earlier and gave it a spin while listening to the audio commentary. The transfer looks really good. I was quite pleased with it, despite owning the earlier BD release. The audio commentary, while a fun listen, Jaime Lee came off as kind of annoying. Been a few years since I listened to their other commentary, but I don't recall her being this way on that one.
I picked this up today as well. I haven't listened to the commentary yet. The picture to me has it's ups and downs. It's very sharp and some colors really jump while others...do not. All in all I cannot complain. I'm hanging on to my 1999 THX 2 DVD set and my 2007 bd as well. The only thing I didn't care for was the "Night She Came Home" documentary. For what it was, it seemed too long. Ms. Curtis is apprehensive about the whole convention process, and constantly mentions how she needs order in her life. The whole thing just seemed to be too much. I'd rather 60 minutes of footage of the cast reunion in the hotel room at the beginning of the doc.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #267
ronnie21
HackMaster

yeah. I do like the new one... cause i hated all those white specs in the 99 dvd, but keep em all, they all have ups and downs..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #268
shape22
HackMaster

All right. My painful, protracted wait for this disc is finally over. Here are my initial impressions of the new release.

In order to get the best possible handle on the differences between this transfer and the THX transfer I loaded the new disc into my Oppo BDP-83 and the THX DVD into my Oppo 971H player. That's obviously not as ideal a situation as being able to play both discs simultaneously in the same model player. But DVD playback is very similar on both units. So I think it's an acceptable basis for comparison.

I skipped around and watched numerous scenes, even comparing still frames by flipping back and forth between inputs. One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that the THX transfer was not used as the jump-off point for this new transfer. Some scenes show nearly identical color balances while others are completely divergent.

Before I get into specific scenes, let me confirm what we already know. The new transfer is radically different in terms of color timing--especially during the daytime scenes. But the degree of color desaturation is so high that it's not nearly as distracting as it appears to be in static screenshots. As you all know I tend to be a zealot about this film. But although this transfer is substantially different, it's NOT offensively disatisfying (like the prior Blu-ray transfer was to me). The THX transfer replicates a fall look through an orange push to the color timing. The new transfer goes in a completely different direction. It even appears that the nighttime blue cast has now been applied to the daytime scenes. I expected that to be extremely distracting. But the cooler, more muted colors produce a similar emotional effect to the orange cast. They look a lot different than they do on the THX release. But they don't destroy the illusion of fall or substantially change the mood and feel of the opening Haddonfield 1978 scenes.

And if you look past the color changes this transfer is an unmitigated triumph. Detail is spectacular and contrast is vastly improved. Despite being darker than the THX transfer almost across the board, the 35th transfer boasts tremendously improved shadow detail. It really is an impressive transfer in motion too.

Here are some scene specifics for those who are interested:

The 1963 opening scene looks very similar on both releases. The new transfer appears to be a little darker with more muted colors. But color balance is very similar between the two.

A bigger disconnect kicks in with the 1978 thunderstorm scene. The Blu-ray color desaturation becomes much more noticeable here. And the color balance shifts more to blue, with pinker fleshtones and an overall duller look to the colors. The trend toward a darker image on the Blu-ray continues too.

The sound upgrade is really apparent here. Dialogue is much warmer and fuller compared to the THX release. And the soundfield is MUCH wider, which gives a much more enveloping, immersive feel to this scene.

Moving to the opening daytime scene in Haddonfield with Laurie leaving her house, the blue-grey, starker look immediately becomes apparent. Although the grass and trees are actually greener compared to the THX release, it doesn't look like summer due to the substantial color desaturation. In fact, you don't really get the overwhelming greenish feeling that you get from the screenshots. I definitely believe that a blue filter was applied because flesh tones are noticeably pinkish instead of ruddy like they are on the THX DVD. And the sky now appears to be grey instead of yellowish. This scene looks VERY different than it does on the THX DVD. But it's not bad different. It's just more subdued, less stylized, and more naturalistic. I wouldn't choose the changes they made here. But they don't really bother me either.

Interestingly enough the sweeping changes don't apply to every scene. When Laurie spies Michael through the window while she's in class the color timing is virtually identical to the THX release. But when the action moves to Tommy being accosted by the bullies, the color timing is completely different again. The THX release is MUCH brighter and distinctly orange in cast. The new Blu is very desaturated with the same bluish push evident in the opening scene with Laurie.

This trend continues during the girls walk home. I specifically checked out the "speed kills" section. Again, the new Blu is darker, less orangey, and VERY desaturated, which gives the scene a much colder look.

The first night scene (after the much-discussed poor transition from daylight) is a revelation. The incredible difference in discernible detail is immediately apparent. Blacks are blacker than they are on the THX release. But many additional details are visible in the distance.

In general, the night scenes have similar blue tinting to the THX edition. But it's much more reserved on the new Blu. The laundry room scene with Annie and the "see anything you like?" section with Linda show more restrained colors in general. The shot of Michael holding the phone has a strong blue push to the color grade. But it's not as dazzling-looking as the tinting on the THX. So many of the night scenes are desaturated as well.

One shot appears to be missing the blue tint almost entirely. When Laurie arrives at the Wallace house before the start of the final chase, the THX image is extremely blue. But on the new release it's barely blue-ish at all. The front of the house appears almost white. So it's definitely clear that the THX transfer wasn't used as a frame of reference. For every scene that looks similar there's one that looks totally different.

The last scene I checked was Laurie's escape from the kitchen. This scene features the iconic blue tinting. But again it's dialed back and desaturated. The colors seem to be almost universally muted for the new transfer.

Here's the most important thing. I think I can finally retire the THX DVD. I still think it contains the most accurate color timing. And I sincerely hope we'll eventually get a Blu-ray that replicates its look completely. But the new release isn't botched to nearly the same degree that the first Blu-ray is. It's different. But it still looks like Halloween to me--with huge improvements in contrast, sharpness, and shadow detail. I don't think the benefits of the original Blu-ray warrant choosing it over the THX DVD. The night scenes just don't look right, which kills the mood for me. But I don't feel that way about the new release. It's negatives are definitely outweighed by the overall quality of the image. It's not perfect. But this one will most certainly due until the perfect release comes along.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #269
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
All right. My painful, protracted wait for this disc is finally over. Here are my initial impressions of the new release.

In order to get the best possible handle on the differences between this transfer and the THX transfer I loaded the new disc into my Oppo BDP-83 and the THX DVD into my Oppo 971H player. That's obviously not as ideal a situation as being able to play both discs simultaneously in the same model player. But DVD playback is very similar on both units. So I think it's an acceptable basis for comparison.

I skipped around and watched numerous scenes, even comparing still frames by flipping back and forth between inputs. One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that the THX transfer was not used as the jump-off point for this new transfer. Some scenes show nearly identical color balances while others are completely divergent.

Before I get into specific scenes, let me confirm what we already know. The new transfer is radically different in terms of color timing--especially during the daytime scenes. But the degree of color desaturation is so high that it's not nearly as distracting as it appears to be in static screenshots. As you all know I tend to be a zealot about this film. But although this transfer is substantially different, it's NOT offensively disatisfying (like the prior Blu-ray transfer was to me). The THX transfer replicates a fall look through an orange push to the color timing. The new transfer goes in a completely different direction. It even appears that the nighttime blue cast has now been applied to the daytime scenes. I expected that to be extremely distracting. But the cooler, more muted colors produce a similar emotional effect to the orange cast. They look a lot different than they do on the THX release. But they don't destroy the illusion of fall or substantially change the mood and feel of the opening Haddonfield 1978 scenes.

And if you look past the color changes this transfer is an unmitigated triumph. Detail is spectacular and contrast is vastly improved. Despite being darker than the THX transfer almost across the board, the 35th transfer boasts tremendously improved shadow detail. It really is an impressive transfer in motion too.

Here are some scene specifics for those who are interested:

The 1963 opening scene looks very similar on both releases. The new transfer appears to be a little darker with more muted colors. But color balance is very similar between the two.

A bigger disconnect kicks in with the 1978 thunderstorm scene. The Blu-ray color desaturation becomes much more noticeable here. And the color balance shifts more to blue, with pinker fleshtones and an overall duller look to the colors. The trend toward a darker image on the Blu-ray continues too.

The sound upgrade is really apparent here. Dialogue is much warmer and fuller compared to the THX release. And the soundfield is MUCH wider, which gives a much more enveloping, immersive feel to this scene.

Moving to the opening daytime scene in Haddonfield with Laurie leaving her house, the blue-grey, starker look immediately becomes apparent. Although the grass and trees are actually greener compared to the THX release, it doesn't look like summer due to the substantial color desaturation. In fact, you don't really get the overwhelming greenish feeling that you get from the screenshots. I definitely believe that a blue filter was applied because flesh tones are noticeably pinkish instead of ruddy like they are on the THX DVD. And the sky now appears to be grey instead of yellowish. This scene looks VERY different than it does on the THX DVD. But it's not bad different. It's just more subdued, less stylized, and more naturalistic. I wouldn't choose the changes they made here. But they don't really bother me either.

Interestingly enough the sweeping changes don't apply to every scene. When Laurie spies Michael through the window while she's in class the color timing is virtually identical to the THX release. But when the action moves to Tommy being accosted by the bullies, the color timing is completely different again. The THX release is MUCH brighter and distinctly orange in cast. The new Blu is very desaturated with the same bluish push evident in the opening scene with Laurie.

This trend continues during the girls walk home. I specifically checked out the "speed kills" section. Again, the new Blu is darker, less orangey, and VERY desaturated, which gives the scene a much colder look.

The first night scene (after the much-discussed poor transition from daylight) is a revelation. The incredible difference in discernible detail is immediately apparent. Blacks are blacker than they are on the THX release. But many additional details are visible in the distance.

In general, the night scenes have similar blue tinting to the THX edition. But it's much more reserved on the new Blu. The laundry room scene with Annie and the "see anything you like?" section with Linda show more restrained colors in general. The shot of Michael holding the phone has a strong blue push to the color grade. But it's not as dazzling-looking as the tinting on the THX. So many of the night scenes are desaturated as well.

One shot appears to be missing the blue tint almost entirely. When Laurie arrives at the Wallace house before the start of the final chase, the THX image is extremely blue. But on the new release it's barely blue-ish at all. The front of the house appears almost white. So it's definitely clear that the THX transfer wasn't used as a frame of reference. For every scene that looks similar there's one that looks totally different.

The last scene I checked was Laurie's escape from the kitchen. This scene features the iconic blue tinting. But again it's dialed back and desaturated. The colors seem to be almost universally muted for the new transfer.

Here's the most important thing. I think I can finally retire the THX DVD. I still think it contains the most accurate color timing. And I sincerely hope we'll eventually get a Blu-ray that replicates its look completely. But the new release isn't botched to nearly the same degree that the first Blu-ray is. It's different. But it still looks like Halloween to me--with huge improvements in contrast, sharpness, and shadow detail. I don't think the benefits of the original Blu-ray warrant choosing it over the THX DVD. The night scenes just don't look right, which kills the mood for me. But I don't feel that way about the new release. It's negatives are definitely outweighed by the overall quality of the image. It's not perfect. But this one will most certainly due until the perfect release comes along.
...in short "hopefully it gets another release".
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #270
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
...in short "hopefully it gets another release".
Ha. I certainly hope to see a THX-like transfer in the future. But this is a HUGE upgrade from the prior Blu-ray. No, I'm not getting rid of my THX DVD. But the new Blu is now my go-to version. And that's a significant endorsement from a THX fundamentalist like me.

My capsule summary would be "this is a worthwhile HD version of this film."