Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #286
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Don't mind maybrick, I'm pretty sure he's going through Menopause or his estrogen is low or something,... I'm still trying to figure out what his problem is.

I for one find this thread extremely interesting and informative...its a fantastic read. I think the drive for the perfect viewing experience is not only warranted, but it is essential for a film such as HalloweeN. I mean, its one of the elite horror masterpieces. It's not fucking Killdozer or The Video Dead....this is the one, the only, the classic...HalloweeN for crying out loud!
Much appreciated Chomp. Maybrick is good with me. He just lacks the endurance to properly obsess about Carpenter's masterpiece like us. Maybe a vitamin deficiency?
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #287
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Don't mind maybrick, I'm pretty sure he's going through Menopause or his estrogen is low or something,... I'm still trying to figure out what his problem is.
honestly, my problem comes with advanced age. The older that I get, the less I care about such trivialities. I love Halloween to death, but even if the color isn't quite right, any of the releases of the last 15 years likely look way better than any print you could have seen in a 70s movie theater after opening night once they've been damaged by dirty projectors and passed from theater to theater after theater. If the day shots are not as orange as expected, it is certainly a mild disappointment, but it isn't quite the catastrophe a lot of folks are making it out to be.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #288
Katatonia
Master of Doom

DVD Talk reviews it: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/61716...rsary-edition/

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:53 AM   #289
RickMoe
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
What version did you watch for years that looks more like the 2007 Blu? The 25th Anniversary Divimax DVD?
I'm most familiar with the Media VHS, which I soon put out to pasture when Anchor Bay's letterbox cassette came out. Then of course the 1999 DVD was my most common playing presentation (I skipped over the 25th anniversary release at the time). As with practically everyone on these boards, I'm quite aware of all the slight and substantial color emphasis changes between various releases, but the 2007 blu (IMO) tends to be the best of both worlds between the 1999 and 25th anniversary releases. The greens and daylight scenes in particular are spectacular on 2007 bluray... But this new 35th edition saps that right out. It's almost like watching SUSPIRIA in B&W.

Maybe the heightened blues, oranges and yellows weren't origionally timed into the transfer... They're still somewhat present on the new 35th... But just now feel deminished like its lacking something. Maybe it's just personal preference, but I should have listened to my original feelings when I first saw the 35ths screenshots... They're drab and boring. HALLOWEEN now looks like a modern film which is rediculous.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #290
ImmortalSlasher
Victim

Maybe someone should just start a poll. Halloween THX vs New Blu-ray. Seems like these are the two best versions. I guess the site will have a review soon. The new Blu-ray looks good to me except for the outdoor scenes. But I'm not sure of those. Many are saying that too bright and colorful is too much like California.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #291
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
honestly, my problem comes with advanced age.
That's not it. The problem is being a fellow New Englander. We haven't even had Halloween the last two years due to the weather.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #292
ronnie21
HackMaster

iam fine with the new one. its all I need...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #293
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
That's not it. The problem is being a fellow New Englander. We haven't even had Halloween the last two years due to the weather.
YOU'RE RIGHT!!

Well, actually, I don't remember last Halloween being too bad, but maybe that is because I was just happy that we didn't have snow like we did the year before. That was just bullshit.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #294
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMoe View Post
As with practically everyone on these boards, I'm quite aware of all the slight and substantial color emphasis changes between various releases, but the 2007 blu (IMO) tends to be the best of both worlds between the 1999 and 25th anniversary releases. The greens and daylight scenes in particular are spectacular on 2007 bluray... But this new 35th edition saps that right out. It's almost like watching SUSPIRIA in B&W.
I had a feeling you were up on all of this stuff, which I was I asked. Your perspective is completely different than mine, which I find very interesting. I can't even watch the 2007 Blu-ray due to the lack of night-time blues. That's where the atmosphere is crippled for me. My main focus has always been the hue of the visible colors. But it certainly appears that the AMOUNT of color saturation is having a bigger effect on you.

There's no doubt that the 2007 Blu has more color overall than the new one. But the bulk of those colors are vastly different from the THX release. It didn't occur to me that some might prefer more color, even if it's completely different, as opposed to more muted colors in line with the THX edition. Thanks for your thorough explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Maybe someone should just start a poll. Halloween THX vs New Blu-ray. Seems like these are the two best versions. I guess the site will have a review soon. The new Blu-ray looks good to me except for the outdoor scenes. But I'm not sure of those. Many are saying that too bright and colorful is too much like California.
Truthfully I think a poll would skew strongly to the 35th Anniversary Blu. Even as a THX fundamentalist I can't justify choosing a DVD authored in 1999 over the new Blu-ray. During most of the film the colors are similar enough to the THX DVD that I can't imagine the majority of people going with the THX DVD anymore.

But if the demand is there I'll put up another poll: THX DVD, 2007 Blu, or 35th Anniversary Blu.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 AM   #295
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

This whole thing is kind of ridiculous. I'm not sure if anyone will be happy with any edition. The first time I bought Halloween was the 2 disc Anchor Bay DVD and I LOVE that edition. Before that, I had a VHS dub. I didn't buy the first Blu-Ray because of all the complaining on color, even when it dropped down to $10, but the first time I read a positive review on the new Blu-Ray, I ran out and grabbed it. I can't wait to watch it!! It'll be my 13 year old son's first time seeing it with me this Halloween!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #296
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
I can't wait to watch it!! It'll be my 13 year old son's first time seeing it with me this Halloween!
How cool is that???

Of course, when he's your age and they are still tinkering with the picture, he'll refer back to this edition as the Real Deal. Ha! I hope it's a good one!

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #297
thing
Maniac

DVD verdict review

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/halloween35bluray.php
Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #298
spawningblue
Deadite

Great read shape! I am excited to dive into this Blu, as I held off grabbing the last one even though it is one of my favourite films, when I saw the blues were for the most part removed. Having the trees look more green than yellow I can deal with, but the blues removed are too much. As hard as it has been, I am waiting until it's a little closer to Halloween to check this disc out, and seeing as how I never grabbed the last disc I'm sure I will be stunned by all the detail. I can't wait!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #299
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Great read shape! I am excited to dive into this Blu, as I held off grabbing the last one even though it is one of my favourite films, when I saw the blues were for the most part removed. Having the trees look more green than yellow I can deal with, but the blues removed are too much. As hard as it has been, I am waiting until it's a little closer to Halloween to check this disc out, and seeing as how I never grabbed the last disc I'm sure I will be stunned by all the detail. I can't wait!
My pleasure! And your thinking mirrors mine on both the transfer and the time line. I watched the scenes I described but didn't watch the bulk of the film. It's too early.

I'll be very interested in your thoughts on the transfer. I think you'll enjoy it overall.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #300
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Exclusive: Dean Cundey Reflects on Halloween and His Career, Talks New Transfer and More

Quote:
Daily Dead: Were you approached to take a look at this new transfer or had you heard about it and reached out to Anchor Bay to be part of the process?

Dean Cundey: I was approached actually; John had looked at this new version and thought it looked really good, but suggested that I go in to oversee some final work on it so that fans would finally have the version they deserve. See, a lot of the previous editions were made from a print or a previous digital version and the people working on those versions were just doing what they thought was right. When you have a Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox though, that just doesn’t translate; things get skewed.

So I was very impressed by the fact that, for this release, they used the original camera material because they wanted to make this the definitive version. For me, it’s the most accurate portrayal of how John and I wanted Halloween to be seen. Most fans have never seen Halloween the right way either between all the TV, VHS and DVD versions over the years so this Blu-ray is really something special.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote