Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #376
Zollman
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Vixen View Post
I don't mind the 'book' packaging, since while the disc was tough to get out the first time. It's pretty simple after that, and the disc isn't scuffed up so far. I did have issues with the audio however, and wasn't a fan of the 7.1 mix, and preferred the mono mix(once the volume was cranked to the max), except for the first 10 minutes or so where it sounds awful in the dialogue department. After that, it was tolerable and the music packed more punch for example over the 7.1 mix. I wish it was the original mono though and uncompressed, which would sound more awesome.

The mono mix is certainly not a 'down-mix' of the 7.1 track despite what some people claim. Their are some obvious differences between the tracks, and the music is just one example. If the way the music sounds in the 7.1 mix was down-mixed to mono. It certainly would not sound like it does in this mono mix.
Sorry, it's a down mix with automated dynamic range compession.
Thats why the music sounds weird. But yeah, it's the 1999 Chance mix forced into one channel.
Zollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #377
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Vixen View Post
I did have issues with the audio however, and wasn't a fan of the 7.1 mix, and preferred the mono mix(once the volume was cranked to the max), except for the first 10 minutes or so where it sounds awful in the dialogue department. After that, it was tolerable and the music packed more punch for example over the 7.1 mix. I wish it was the original mono though and uncompressed, which would sound more awesome.

The mono mix is certainly not a 'down-mix' of the 7.1 track despite what some people claim. Their are some obvious differences between the tracks, and the music is just one example. If the way the music sounds in the 7.1 mix was down-mixed to mono. It certainly would not sound like it does in this mono mix.
It's definitely a down-mix of either the 5.1 or 7.1 remixes. The extra thunder strikes are present in the night-time Smith's Grove scene. And the stinger sound in Annie's death scene is the incorrect one that was introduced with the 1999 5.1 remix. These elements were never part of the original mono mix. The fact that they're part of the new "mono" mix is proof that the track was derived from one of the two DVD-era remixes.

And at the risk of sounding like a calibration Nazi, I have to question your setup if the "mono" track sounds better than the 7.1 mix. The "mono" mix is presented with a much lower bit-rate and much weaker LFE activity. Do you have a 5.1 or better speaker configuration? Is your receiver capable of outputting true lossless sound? And are you sure your BLu-ray player or receiver doesn't have dynamic range compression enabled? The 7.1 soundtrack is far more dynamic across the board. But it's especially superior when it comes to the music and the thunderstorm scene. You should hear a huge difference in subwoofer activity during those moments.

Last edited by shape22; 10-19-2013 at 05:52 PM.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #378
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

The UK steelbook has been confirmed to be locked to Region B.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=6275
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #379
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

One day we'll get a big box set of all the Halloween movies. They usually release stuff like that in Japan, Germany, and France.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #380
Zollman
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
It's definitely a down-mix of either the 5.1 or 7.1 remixes. The extra thunder strikes are present in the night-time Smith's Grove scene. And the stinger sound in Annie's death scene is the incorrect one that was introduced with the 1999 5.1 remix. These elements were never part of the original mono mix. The fact that they're part of the new "mono" mix is proof that the track was derived from one of the two DVD-era remixes.

And at the risk of sounding like a calibration Nazi, I have to question your setup if the "mono" track sounds better than the 7.1 mix. The "mono" mix is presented with a much lower bit-rate and much weaker LFE activity. Do you have a 5.1 or better speaker configuration? Is your receiver capable of outputting true lossless sound? And are you sure your BLu-ray player or receiver doesn't have dynamic range compression enabled? The 7.1 soundtrack is far more dynamic across the board. But it's especially superior when it comes to the music and the thunderstorm scene. You should hear a huge difference in subwoofer activity during those moments.
the 5.1 mix and 7.1 mix are fundamentally the same.
The only difference being that the back left and right channels split the same info with the left and right surround channels.

I did some A/B tests and you'd never know there was a difference from the seating position.
Zollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #381
Zillamon51
Maniac

To answer my own questions: I picked up two more copies as gifts for my brother and parents. I got my bro the digibook, as he's a collector like me (at least when it comes to Myers). For my parents, I got the amaray case. It does include a reprint of the digibook content, in smaller booklet form. The mono track has not been fixed.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #382
ronnie21
HackMaster

Only way we might know how original the color timing is, is look at the very first video incarnation of Halloween. and compare, doubt they would mess with the color timing back in 1980. they would just release it as is , at that given time. then we would have a better idea of what it looked like...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #383
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
Only way we might know how original the color timing is, is look at the very first video incarnation of Halloween. and compare, doubt they would mess with the color timing back in 1980. they would just release it as is , at that given time. then we would have a better idea of what it looked like...
This is unfortunately not true. VHS masters from that era are notorious for massive contrast boosting and other anomalies. And they were often transferred from inferior elements. Even film prints from this era are largely unreliable. Dye-transfer prints are renowned for their ability to retain their colors over extended periods of time. But apparently no dye-transfer prints of Halloween exist. And per American Cinematographer magazine (cited here in Wikipedia), "improperly stored monopack color film from before 1983 can incur a 30% image loss in as little as 25 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_m...lor_film_works

Different film stocks are also very prevalent to color shifting over time. See the "glossary of film stock types" here:

http://www.afana.org/preservation.htm

Since no dye elements are said to exist the original look of Halloween will always be subject to debate. And Cundey's shifting stance has definitely muddied the waters even more.

I don't know what odds I have of getting a response. But I contacted Bill Lustig through his Facebook page to see if he'd like to weigh in personally on the level of Cundey's participation in the 1999 THX color timing. I'll let you guys know if I get a response.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #384
ronnie21
HackMaster

and since Halloween last showed in theaters around October of 1980, theres no way anyone can really remember the color timing, unless we get a time machine. wouldn't that be nice...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #385
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
and since Halloween last showed in theaters around October of 1980, theres no way anyone can really remember the color timing, unless we get a time machine. wouldn't that be nice...
I'm starting to remember movies I saw in theaters and I didn't even know what color timing meant back then. Nor enough to really notice. I wasn't lucky enough to see Halloween but I saw Predator.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #386
Matt89
HackMaster

Yeah sorry nobody remembers exactly what a movie looked like in theaters 35 years ago. That's such a load of bs and not at all credible when discussing how a film should "look".

~Matt
Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #387
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

And yet the debate rages on.....

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #388
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Yeah sorry nobody remembers exactly what a movie looked like in theaters 35 years ago. That's such a load of bs and not at all credible when discussing how a film should "look".

~Matt
And even if you could get the blu ray to look precisely as it did in the theaters 35 years ago, it would NEVER look precisely as it did in theaters 35 years ago because there are a variety of factors that have nothing to do with the print itself because every theater is different. A rough approximation is all anybody should ever expect.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #389
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Where are Doc and McFly when you need them? Why wasn't I keeping color notes about the films I saw when young? It's just so obvious looking back that this would happen!

I've avoided all discussions on color-timing for this (besides some old bitch about no blue posts for the 25th). Watched the other night and it looks the best I have ever seen. If that makes me stupid, then I'm blissful. I will point out that I have owned this on every format from VHS to BD, and the 25th is the one I never did get. I got a dub of the bonus features disc from the library, but couldn't stand the colors [or lack thereof] of that transfer, so I watched it and went back to the THX dvd until now.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #390
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
I've avoided all discussions on color-timing for this (besides some old bitch about no blue posts for the 25th). Watched the other night and it looks the best I have ever seen. If that makes me stupid, then I'm blissful. I will point out that I have owned this on every format from VHS to BD, and the 25th is the one I never did get. I got a dub of the bonus features disc from the library, but couldn't stand the colors [or lack thereof] of that transfer, so I watched it and went back to the THX dvd until now.
Hell, I'm probably the biggest nitpicker of all when it comes to this film. But I concur. I still prefer the colors of the THX DVD. But the bulk of the film looks similar on the 35th Blu--with an enormous improvement in resolution. The pluses of the THX edition no longer outweigh the minuses.

I have a feeling I'll eventually rip the 35th transfer and re-time the day scenes myself. But I don't feel up to that project right now.