Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #106
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Very disappointing that it won't have the original commentary or the 87 minute "Halloween: A Cut Above the Rest" documentary from the 25th anniversary DVD. Should've expected it after Anchor Bay couldn't be bothered to move all the bonus material from their H4 & 5 DVDs onto the Blus that came out last year. I remember when the Anchor Bay logo on the spine of a disc in my collection meant quality. Now it just means, look to the right to see all the other editions you need to have a full set of extras.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #107
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
This should be an alternate audio track : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ1M3P1isHA& (spoilers if you haven't seen Halloween)

Unfortunately that cuts off RIGHT when...
Thanks for posting that X-human. It really is a bummer that we don't get 30 more seconds.

Regarding all the griping about this release, would you guys agree it has a lot more to do with past sloppy releases of this film than the actual 35th Anniversary package we're getting? Personally I'm thrilled that Anchor Bay is spending money to ensure a faithful transfer instead of licensing stuff that's readily available on prior editions of the film.

It's highly unlikely that any studio would release an HD version of the TV cut. And is there a point to including a DVD copy of it (like Shout! did with H2)? Don't those of you who want it already have one of the old DVDs? It got a stand-alone DVD release in addition to its inclusion with the '99 limited edition. And you can still pick it up used at Amazon for less than $15.

Personally I'd prefer a reasonably priced new release with a fantastic transfer to a pricey "ultimate" edition that repackages a lot of stuff I already have. Sure, the Bio channel Inside Story documentary would be a nice inclusion. But since it hasn't gotten a release I made sure to rip it when it was televised last year. And would I like to see the "B" roll footage? Hell yeah. But aside from that all of the existing supplements are out there and relatively inexpensive if you really want them.

I'm not defending Anchor Bay's business practices in any way. And I certainly am not asking anyone to stop bitching. I enjoy that too much myself. I'm just having trouble understanding why Shout's H2 release caused so much joy and this release is agitating so many of you. The new supplements are just as substantial as Shout's H2 supplements. And Dean Cundey's involvement ensures a faithful video presentation. Hell, they're even redoing the audio mix--which could mean the elimination of some of the replacement thunder effects (and a more accurate experience there too).

The previous Blu-ray transfer of this film was terribly botched. Isn't the fact that this release is going to give us an exemplary presentation of a landmark film GOOD news? Isn't the film itself more important than the bells and whistles?

Just my two cents.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #108
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I agree but if people would stop buying the 12th edition of the same movie AB might get the picture and try some updated releases!
That's also true.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #109
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I agree but if people would stop buying the 12th edition of the same movie AB might get the picture and try some updated releases!
I wonder how many times people on here have bought Halloween.

I only officially bought 2 of AB's releases for Halloween.
Once on DVD and once on blu-ray but I will be picking up the new blu-ray because of Cundey's involvement. I also bought a copy of the TV version used on Amazon (so technically AB saw no profit) last year.

I also had Blockbuster's release on VHS way back when.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #110
RickMoe
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I wonder how many times people on here have bought Halloween.

I only officially bought 2 of AB's releases for Halloween.
Once on DVD and once on blu-ray but I will be picking up the new blu-ray because of Cundey's involvement. I also bought a copy of the TV version used on Amazon (so technically AB saw no profit) last year.

I also had Blockbuster's release on VHS way back when.
I've bought too many times, but never regret it...

-Blockbusters's VHS release
-Anchor Bay's widescreen VHS clamshell
-Anchor Bay's 1st DVD release
-Anchor Bay's Bluray

I'll be getting the new Blu too... but seriously hate the cover art. Each purchase has been an "update" so I'm more than happy to get a Dean Cundey approved master.

Last edited by RickMoe; 07-23-2013 at 04:30 PM.
RickMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #111
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Regarding all the griping about this release, would you guys agree it has a lot more to do with past sloppy releases of this film than the actual 35th Anniversary package we're getting? Personally I'm thrilled that Anchor Bay is spending money to ensure a faithful transfer instead of licensing stuff that's readily available on prior editions of the film.
As I've gotten older, and now that we've moved into the HD-era, I've begun to value picture and sound quality over extras. Uncompressed soundtracks especially have had a great impact on the way I experience films.

I think the desire for ALL available extra features is a holdover from the early days of DVD and also a matter of principle. We as consumers expect the companies we patronize to give us the best value possible. When AB chooses not to include legacy features, it's like going to McDonalds, ordering a cheeseburger, and an employee saying, "Oh, by the way, we no longer serve our cheeseburgers on buns." We know it's there, we know it's available, there's no reason not to include it.

That said, the novelty, or perhaps quality, of extra features has since worn off. Rarely do you get any type of information that isn't readily available elsewhere and mostly consists of:

-So-and-so was great to work with
-The director had such a vision
-The makeup process took so long
-Shooting primarily nights was difficult

I'll be purchasing this edition SOLELY based on the Cundey-approved transfer. Were it a matter of new features, I'd be ignoring it. Similarly, I WON'T be purchasing the new Exorcist Blu because there is no new transfer and I'm none too thrilled with the one currently out there.

I may be alone, but I sorta like the 35th cover art.

-Paff

Last edited by Fistfuck; 07-23-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #112
bachmann
Stalker

Theres a steelbook release of this in the UK
Good Price on amazon.

Hopefully it uses the original theatrical poster.
bachmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #113
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachmann View Post
Theres a steelbook release of this in the UK
Good Price on amazon.
Thanks for the heads up. I'd go this route if not for the different release date. I'm not sure this would reach the states prior to the big day. And that's a risk I can't take. This will be a big part of my October this year.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #114
Stige
HackMaster

hmmm the U.K. release states two discs instead of 1 disc on amazon.... typo or what?
From what I read the final list of specs aren't finally revealed yet
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #115
bachmann
Stalker

http://www.hidefninja.com/forums/att...1&d=1376378418

Last edited by bachmann; 08-13-2013 at 10:16 AM.
bachmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #116
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

UK Steelbook:

PRE-ORDERED!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #117
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
UK Steelbook:

PRE-ORDERED!!!

Awesome! When is this coming out? Looks really nice, certainly better than that Anchor Bay thing.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #118
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Awesome! When is this coming out?
October 21th:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halloween-St...elbook+blu-ray
Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #119
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'd go this route if not for the different release date. I'm not sure this would reach the states prior to the big day. And that's a risk I can't take. This will be a big part of my October this year.
I have often found amazon.uk to be just as fast, or even faster, than the US one in getting orders to my mail box. If the release date is the 21st, then you will be able to receive it within 10 days, definitely. And the price difference winds up being negligible, too. You have to pay for shipping, but not VAT (so that brings the list price down by a pound or two), and you get a better cover. The only question I have is if the movies and extras are region locked or not.

Last edited by maybrick; 08-13-2013 at 02:19 PM.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #120
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Is the UK steel book region free?
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote