Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #31
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I saw the status on their website, so I messaged them on facebook and asked them about it directly. they got back to me the next day, and confirmed it. their rights for those films do not extend to Canada.
That's disappointing. I guess it makes sense, but hopefully we don't run into more problems like this with future titles.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #32
dave13
HackMaster

am i right in assuming that these two scanners sequels have some canadian ties? perhaps something to do with the fact that the first was canadian? if thats the case, it might explain why whatever rights Shout! was able to get, they didn't apply to canada.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #33
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I don't think I've ever seen the Scanners sequels, but David Hewlett is in one of them, so it's probably Canadian.

The first film definitely is.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #34
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I don't think I've ever seen the Scanners sequels, but David Hewlett is in one of them, so it's probably Canadian.

The first film definitely is.
IMDB shows that the Scanners 2 was a 100% Canadian production and filmed in Canada. Scanners 3 was apparently a Canada/USA co-production and filmed in Canada & Thailand.

IMDB are often inaccurate about things, but the country of origin is usually spot on. I would imagine it's just a license stipulation that the Shout releases can't be sold to Canada...for whatever reason. Perhaps a studio up north is also planning on releasing them.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #35
thing
HackMaster

Psycho 2 and 3 are not available locally and have never played on tv here, I have always been curious about them.
thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #36
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Psycho 2 and 3 are not available locally and have never played on tv here, I have always been curious about them.
psycho II is an honest-to-goodness very good movie. good direction, strong story, respectful of the original without being derivative. about the worst that could be said of it is that it's a little slow in spots. if you're a fan of the original, i think most people on here would recommend it. the third one is a bit of a different beast. its much more campy, but not without its charm. part II is a serious sequel, part III is trying to take it into franchise territory.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #37
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

DAY OF THE DEAD supplement details from Fearnet:

* New HD transfer
* New Documentary - World’s End: The Legacy of Day of the Dead
* Underground: A Look into the Day Of The Dead mines
* Audio Commentary with writer/director George A. Romero, Special Make-up Effects artist Tom Savini, Production Designer Cletus Anderson and actress Lori Cardille
* Audio Commentary with filmmaker Roger Avary
* Behind-The-Scenes Footage from Special Make-up Effects Creator Tom Savini’s archives
* Photo Galleries
* Theatrical Trailers
* TV Spots
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #38
ronnie21
HackMaster

dave13, I agree totally on psycho II, it was a tad slow in certain spots. but better than III, and it was a big hit in the summer of 83 when it came out... I just hope shout doesn't mess with the transfer by darking it or changing the color scheme.
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #39
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
dave13, I agree totally on psycho II, it was a tad slow in certain spots. but better than III, and it was a big hit in the summer of 83 when it came out... I just hope shout doesn't mess with the transfer by darking it or changing the color scheme.

I actually prefer part III. II's script was too convoluted. Also, Perkins was a pretty good director and I liked the religious motif he used throughout. As an actor Perkins worked under some of the very best. Welles, Hitchcock, Huston. Not a bad training ground for an aspiring director.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #40
ronnie21
HackMaster

at least III had duke, just call him duke and don't touch the guitar!!!!!!!!!!!
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #41
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
DAY OF THE DEAD supplement details from Fearnet:

* New HD transfer
* New Documentary - World’s End: The Legacy of Day of the Dead
* Underground: A Look into the Day Of The Dead mines
* Audio Commentary with writer/director George A. Romero, Special Make-up Effects artist Tom Savini, Production Designer Cletus Anderson and actress Lori Cardille
* Audio Commentary with filmmaker Roger Avary
* Behind-The-Scenes Footage from Special Make-up Effects Creator Tom Savini’s archives
* Photo Galleries
* Theatrical Trailers
* TV Spots

Will buy this, but seeing is how not some of the AB extras aren't being ported over, I'll be keeping my AB DVD/Blu.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #42
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Will buy this, but seeing is how not some of the AB extras aren't being ported over, I'll be keeping my AB DVD/Blu.
Very pleased with this. Looks like the ultimate version of the film.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:29 AM   #43
thing
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
psycho II is an honest-to-goodness very good movie. good direction, strong story, respectful of the original without being derivative. about the worst that could be said of it is that it's a little slow in spots. if you're a fan of the original, i think most people on here would recommend it. the third one is a bit of a different beast. its much more campy, but not without its charm. part II is a serious sequel, part III is trying to take it into franchise territory.
cheers
thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #44
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Not too excited for the Day of the Dead release. Really the first Scream Factory Collector's Edition that doesn't feel like much of an upgrade. If you want to have all the features for Day, you'll have to grab the Arrow Blu (for the AB features as well as the Arrow exclusive FX crew commentary and documentary on Joe Pilato) and the Scream Blu (for the new doc that will presumably be full of people already interviewed on the AB doc and the tour of the mines). I'll still grab it because I'm a completist, but I could see why people might not be interested in double dipping.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #45
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
Not too excited for the Day of the Dead release. Really the first Scream Factory Collector's Edition that doesn't feel like much of an upgrade. If you want to have all the features for Day, you'll have to grab the Arrow Blu (for the AB features as well as the Arrow exclusive FX crew commentary and documentary on Joe Pilato) and the Scream Blu (for the new doc that will presumably be full of people already interviewed on the AB doc and the tour of the mines). I'll still grab it because I'm a completist, but I could see why people might not be interested in double dipping.
its not one that i'm particularly interested in either. i enjoy day of the dead, but its not one that i really watch. in fact, i don't think i've watched it since i bought the anchor bay special edition. which was what, 10 years ago?

i'm not planning on getting Q, either (which is a movie i like, but not enough to upgrade), or swamp thing (which i didn't really like, and will like even less if adrienne barbeau's swimming scene isn't included). then they're releasing all these collections like amityville and the vincent price set, which sound great, but will just be damn expensive. so if i want to get those, i'm going to have to sacrifice others, because i just don't feel comfortable spending that much money on movies anymore.

at this point my scream factory collection includes nearly all of their releases. the only ones i've skipped have been dead souls (for obvious reasons) and the funhouse (since i've already got the arrow blu ray). but this is going to change in the next few months...