Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
I bought some DVDs off Ebay years ago which i am sure must gave been bootlegs. They were Asian but actually looked really good. The DVDs were silver backed with with real printed DVD faces and the cover art. They also had slip covers. There was just something about them that said bootleg. They said region 1 on the back but played on region 2 machines no problem despite obviously being sourced from a region 1 disc(FBI warning at the start). I also got the movies before they were released on disc in the UK. I must say of they were bootlegs they were very good and would fool a vast amount of buyers.
I remember a couple of internet places that specialized in asian movies (HKFlix, and one other that I can't remember the name of) often said how difficult it was for them sometimes to make sure that a new re-release was legit and that they had to work hard with their suppliers to make sure bootlegs didn't slip through. And they were experts.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
I remember a couple of internet places that specialized in asian movies (HKFlix, and one other that I can't remember the name of) often said how difficult it was for them sometimes to make sure that a new re-release was legit and that they had to work hard with their suppliers to make sure bootlegs didn't slip through. And they were experts.
Yes they are a hell of alot better than the purple backed DVDrs you can get and the picture quality, 5.1 audio and extras were as good as a disc bought in my own region. I believe my Asian bootleg(if it was one)of TCM The Beginning had a DTS-ES 6.1 soundtrack too. Ive pretty much got rid of all the.bootlegs i had with the exception of a few Spaghetti Westerns that you still cant get on legit DVDs and the uncut Europran version of Corruption starring Peter Cushing. The latter is coming to BD this year though if im not mistaken.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
buck135
The Duke of New York

I know the long OOP Batman: Animated Series DVD collection has a huge bootleg problem. It can be challenging to tell the difference with those being sold on eBay. Of course if Warner would just restore each episode and release them on blu-ray, that problem will be solved.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
Grim
HackMaster

The last bootleg I bought was a DVD of Return of the Living Dead back in 2000. (I think) I do think, at a time, these guys served a vital purpose at conventions. Regardless of what their motivations were, they were giving a voice to films and directors that would have otherwise been lost and forgotten. But now with the prevalence of torrents, file-sharing, and the amount indie distributors putting a lot of time, effort, and money into restoring cult films, I think these dealers' time has past. They really have no other purpose for hawking their shit other than to make a buck and take advantage of unknowing fans.

I don't get how the bootleg business thrives anymore anyway (at least in the US and other developed countries), for any genre or medium. Yeah, obtaining unauthorized copies of a film, album, etc. is illegal in any capacity, but why pay some guy for a subpar disc when you can obtain it relatively easily for free on your own?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
delicreep
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I know the long OOP Batman: Animated Series DVD collection has a huge bootleg problem. It can be challenging to tell the difference with those being sold on eBay. Of course if Warner would just restore each episode and release them on blu-ray, that problem will be solved.
For my birthday, my sister bought this set from an Amazon seller. The contents were sealed and brand-new, but the packaging was flimsy and the text was a mixture of English and Chinese: a knock-off.

Too bad, because I still want that set!
delicreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #21
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicreep View Post
For my birthday, my sister bought this set from an Amazon seller. The contents were sealed and brand-new, but the packaging was flimsy and the text was a mixture of English and Chinese: a knock-off.

Too bad, because I still want that set!
Exactly. Warner doesn't realize how brilliant this show is. I wonder if they ever did.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I have this set, it's my favourite animated series of all time, and one of my favourites shows in general.

If you want it, can't you just grab the seperate Season sets? I know I have seen some of them for cheap. The only difference the complete collection has is an extra bonus disc that is has two short featurettes on it, and a booklet that is just cool images.

I'm with you though in that I would love to see it on Blu-ray! Unfortunately I have a feeling they tested the waters with the Justice League and I doubt they sold too well, considering many like myself have been holding off for the complete series. I don't want to buy two of the seasons with no guarantee the rest will follow on Blu, when I can get the complete series with a bonus disc of extras on DVD for $70.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
buck135
The Duke of New York

Yeah the collection has an extra disc and a decent, albeit short book. Warner always had a hard time marketing the show (a cartoon that was too dark for kids). I have seen all of the animated Batman movies since TAS, and they all pale in comparison.