Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

View Poll Results: Did you (finally) make the switch?
Yes 53 91.38%
No 5 8.62%
VHS 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Did you make the switch from DVD to Blu-ray yet?

I recall heated discussions regarding DVD vs Blu-ray years ago at this very forum. It's been a while, so I'm wondering if there are members still refusing to make the switch, and maybe explain why.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Made the switch as soon as I got a PS3 about 4 years ago and never looked back. I only buy the DVD when I'm fairly certain there will be no Blu upgrade.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Since 2008.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

I stopped buying DVD with very few exceptions about a year ago. I started in with Blu-ray around 2008, and have a sizable collection mostly thanks to lots of video stores closing over the past few years. I only get DVDs now if they're part of a BD combo pack. Oddly, I still buy the occasional VHS tape if it's cheap and a vintage cover (horror, action, sex comedies from the eighties/nineties).

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I'm still buying both formats. I'm afraid to switch fully to Blu cuz you never know if they'll pull the plug and you'll be left with a diminishing product. I just don't know. But I do re-buy great films that I had DVD's for (Godzilla, Bava, Argento, ect).
I don't buy any newly produced film. My library is strictly retro and loving it.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Do you see
Victim

I did about 5-6 years ago and like Mutilated Prey I still buy the occasional DVD. With the price of players nowadays I don’t see a reason not to upgrade (and I still have VCR’s hooked up to both of my systems).
Do you see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I did a few years ago and did a HD-DVD switch a year before that (I was nabbing up all the fire sales, so I knew it was a dead format but it was dirt cheap).
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
dave13
HackMaster

I'm amazed to realize that I have 4 blu ray players in my house:

- my PS3, which I bought as soon as the format "war" ended to specifically watch BDs (I eventually bought a game for it, and played for about a week, many years ago)
- my Seiki region free player, which I bought a few years back - primarily for Hammer titles and Arrow releases, but damn is it liberating to not have to care if a product is region locked or not
- the BD-ROM drive on my laptop, which I bought in 2010 - it wasn't something I sought out, the computer I wanted just happened to come with it. I very rarely use it.
- a portable Samsung player my wife got me for Xmas 2012, so that I can listen to commentaries while driving to and from work

I understand people who haven't bought a new player in the last 5 years not having made the jump, but players are so cheap these days, I can't imagine why anybody would buy a standalone dvd player...outside of obstinacy.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
msw7
Morso a morte

I switched a couple of years ago when I finally bought a new TV. I don't think the difference in quality would have been noticeable on my old analog monster, even anamorphic transfers weren't noticeably an improvement over non-anamorphic DVDs.

I prefer to buy blu-ray now unless there is no option, but even DVDs look amazing on the new set up.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

Started with Blu-Ray 3 years ago last month. I still buy DVD if that is the only way that a older movie is released and if there is a possibility of something not coming out on Blu-Ray

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
rhett

Made the switch in the summer of 2008, bought an LG combo HD-DVD/Blu-ray player. Still works, just takes about 30 seconds to boot up though, haha.

Oddly enough I seem to be going backwards - I was given a couple LD players from Chunkblower and Dave in the past 6 months and have been on a huge analog kick lately. I've amassed well over 100 LDs in that time...as if I really needed another copy of Terminator 2 on home video!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Steel76
Maniac

Jumped on HD-DVD back in 2006 and then to Blu-Ray in 2007.
Canīt believe itīs been 8 years since the HD formats came out on the market.
Feels like yesterday
DVD had been on the market for 9 years back in 2006, so it would be fitting for the 4K Blu-Ray format to pop up in 2015

Itīs kinda funny, I still got a magazine from 1997 about the DVD format, and it mentioned that you should jump on board as quickly as possible, because there was no chance in hell it would survive any way near as long as VHS did, as technology was moving faster and faster. Well itīs been around for 17 years now, just two years less than the VHS format had back in 1997

Iīll bet that DVD and Blu-Ray will live on together, for many years to come.

Still buy a few DVD from time to time, but only rare and obscure stuff.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
Marv Inc.
Stalker

Since 2008 when i got a ps3 and HD tv. Then i bought a multi region player in 2011.

Last edited by Marv Inc.; 06-04-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Marv Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
gobad2003
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadfan123 View Post
Started with Blu-Ray 3 years ago last month. I still buy DVD if that is the only way that a older movie is released and if there is a possibility of something not coming out on Blu-Ray
This
gobad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
Eddyw78
Stalker

I made the switch to BD Christmas 2009. Like everyone else I only buy DVD now of its a title that isn't going to get a BD release in the near future such as Nightmares in a Damaged Brain or obscure 80s stuff like A Breed Apart. Other than that I wouldn't consider DVD if a Blu was available. Its not just the image quality for me its also the sound. I bought my Panny BD80 primarily because it has lossless 7.1 analogue outputs which matched my old AV reciever.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote