Friday the 13th the original 11 32.35%
Halloween original 0 0%
Saw 2 5.88%
Your chose 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #61
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Ash's stump superconducts to any nearby chainsaw. This is established in the alternate timeline between 200 BC and Dracula A.D. 1972.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #62
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Ash's stump superconducts to any nearby chainsaw. This is established in the alternate timeline between 200 BC and Dracula A.D. 1972.

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #63
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisEvilBastard View Post
So your insulting the Friday the 13th fanbase their.

Sure Friday the 13th series is full of gore and nudity but the 1-4 are the one's who have the best characters & story's with a shitload of scares.
Part 5 is the worst of the franchise and is pure trash.
Part 6 is the best IMHO(conderductive yes but not really) it has scares
Part 7 is bad
Part 8 can be better
Part 9 had poitential
Part 10 was stupid fun
Part 11 was a dream filled mis-opturinty
The remake is not good
I have an image from the series tattooed on my arm, so no, it wasn't an insult, but I do recognize what the series is, for the most part. 12 films full of tits and gore whose sole purpose in being made was to make money. I love the films dearly, but come on, let's be honest about the depth of the story in these films.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #64
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfuck View Post
Like, you know, Ash superconducts Jesus through the Dracula 2000 timeline. Or something. I'm no physician, dude.
Hey man, it's your fan timeline. Physics and history be damned.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #65
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Hey man, it's your fan timeline. Physics and history be damned.
It's plausable to me
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #66
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

Quote:
I have an image from the series tattooed on my arm, so no, it wasn't an insult, but I do recognize what the series is, for the most part. 12 films full of tits and gore whose sole purpose in being made was to make money. I love the films dearly, but come on, let's be honest about the depth of the story in these films.
Their's more to them.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #67
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Their's more to them.
Please, fill me in on the depth of the series and the moral dilemmas and decisions the characters face, other than "should I smoke this weed and drink this beer, and then have sex?" or "should I go out into the woods alone after hearing that curious noise?"

Part 6 is really the only one that attempted to do anything particularly creative and most of that is wink-wink Scream-esque stuff that only horror fans would get. Part 4 stands out for the shear brutality present in the film and the purveying sense of dread that never really leaves, but again, this has little to do with the characters or plot of the film and more to do with the director's skill to elevate a rather mediocre script into a good film through visuals, sound, and music.

I think most of the films in the series are decent horror films and I would even consider three of them favorites of mine, but the reason they are good is not for their characters or plot.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #68
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Please, fill me in on the depth of the series and the moral dilemmas and decisions the characters face, other than "should I smoke this weed and drink this beer, and then have sex?" or "should I go out into the woods alone after hearing that curious noise?"

Part 6 is really the only one that attempted to do anything particularly creative and most of that is wink-wink Scream-esque stuff that only horror fans would get. Part 4 stands out for the shear brutality present in the film and the purveying sense of dread that never really leaves, but again, this has little to do with the characters or plot of the film and more to do with the director's skill to elevate a rather mediocre script into a good film through visuals, sound, and music.

I think most of the films in the series are decent horror films and I would even consider three of them favorites of mine, but the reason they are good is not for their characters or plot.
Part 1 has more to it. The characters are secondary to the setting, which along with Jason is the catalyst to what people consider the curse. It's not really a curse but the deranged minds of Pamela and in turn the townspeople and teenagers create it. Jason isn't alive but Alice succumbs to his existence like his mother before. It's about repression and ignorance of past events in a new generation. Seeing and knowing things are two separate actions, where both Pamela and Alice know what reality is, but fall victim to delusions just the same. "Steve should never have opened this place again, there's been too much trouble here." "Then he's still there..."

As for the sequels... I can't think of anything intelligent that they're saying tbh. I still love most of the earlier ones though.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #69
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Part 1 has more to it. The characters are secondary to the setting, which along with Jason is the catalyst to what people consider the curse. It's not really a curse but the deranged minds of Pamela and in turn the townspeople and teenagers create it. Jason isn't alive but Alice succumbs to his existence like his mother before. It's about repression and ignorance of past events in a new generation. Seeing and knowing things are two separate actions, where both Pamela and Alice know what reality is, but fall victim to delusions just the same. "Steve should never have opened this place again, there's been too much trouble here." "Then he's still there..."

As for the sequels... I can't think of anything intelligent that they're saying tbh. I still love most of the earlier ones though.

Yeah but their's still character's and plot with scares in them.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #70
Grim
HackMaster

Quote:
Yeah but their's still character's and plot with scares in them.
There are characters, but they are weak, one dimensional characters. The plots aren't exactly strong either. Not to mention the original film has one of the cheapest killer reveals ever. The audience has absolutely no way of surmising who the killer is. Hell, Pamela Voorhees' name isn't even mentioned until she introduces herself. I agree with Body Boy's assertion about the setting being catalyst for the events, but the events it causes aren't anything new or original, even in 1980.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #71
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
There are characters, but they are weak, one dimensional characters. The plots aren't exactly strong either. Not to mention the original film has one of the cheapest killer reveals ever. The audience has absolutely no way of surmising who the killer is. Hell, Pamela Voorhees' name isn't even mentioned until she introduces herself. I agree with Body Boy's assertion about the setting being catalyst for the events, but the events it causes aren't anything new or original, even in 1980.
I think that the characters are pretty strong actually. I've always identified with most of them, like Jack, Marcie, Brenda and Bill. The killer reveal is definitely cheap, but at the same time we had a road toward it. It didn't hit me until I watched it again recently and Enos mentions the boy drowning in 57, the murders in 58. We've seen the prologue with the two murders in 1958, but what was the purpose of mentioning something before what we saw? Unless... it was important. Because it didn't affect us/we didn't see it, like how the murders were no-news to the 1979 teenagers, we passed it off. But the 1957 event was the important part we skipped over, because we assumed that it was filler talk when we shouldn't have. The killer being "randomly thrown in" at the end does seem like a cheat, and in most other films I would think it was silly, but by a stroke of coincidence (I don't think a lot of what makes F13 work in depth is intentional, so lucky for you Cunningham ) the sudden appearance of an unknown killer shows how beyond understanding the situation is to the new counselors. Lightning in a bottle for sure. I could write an entire paper on the underlying themes and purpose of Friday the 13th. Lightning in a bottle. But it's a lucky accident. As much as I like the sequels (not nearly as much as Part I) I can't find any level of depth to work with. Part V has its possibilities with the town being crazier than those in the looney bin. I could try to work on that. But the first one is the only one I'd classify as genius, even if by fluke.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #72
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
As much as I like the sequels (not nearly as much as Part I) I can't find any level of depth to work with.
Part 3 gets very deep with Chris almost being raped by Jason. I found her character and experiences very real - especially how she feels haunted by her past and cannot let it go. I don't think a character was as well rounded as Chris till Claire in Silence of the Lambs.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #73
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
I haven't seen Sleepaway Camp III in years. I don't recall a line similar. Perhaps I should revisit. Maybe it stayed in my mind longer than I had originally thought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ONk88Xln4 (35:29)

I was pretty close.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #74
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Part 3 gets very deep with Chris almost being raped by Jason. I found her character and experiences very real - especially how she feels haunted by her past and cannot let it go. I don't think a character was as well rounded as Chris till Claire in Silence of the Lambs.
Yeah they all have some depth not just death to them.

Part 1 is a who done it film
Part 2 ginny uses her child psychology on Jason
Part 3 is the nightmares we keep inside us can destroy us
Part 4 is Tommy's world get's used against him
Part 5 is a rip off of Part 1
Part 6 is a Killing the demon's may not be the best option
Part 7 is that your mind can help you do anything
Part 8 is that you will always be around monsters of all kinds
Part 9 is that you need some horror to get back your love
Part 10 is space is a good ride
Part 11 is nothng
Old 06-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #75
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ONk88Xln4 (35:29)

I was pretty close.
Oh, I was expecting something completely verbatim, since tits and blood is a generic phrase for stereotyping horror films. Thanks for the clip though.

Quote:
Yeah they all have some depth not just death to them.

Part 1 is a who done it film
Part 2 ginny uses her child psychology on Jason
Part 3 is the nightmares we keep inside us can destroy us
Part 4 is Tommy's world get's used against him
Part 5 is a rip off of Part 1
Part 6 is a Killing the demon's may not be the best option
Part 7 is that your mind can help you do anything
Part 8 is that you will always be around monsters of all kinds
Part 9 is that you need some horror to get back your love
Part 10 is space is a good ride
Part 11 is nothng
Ummm...

Part 2 and the psychology of a killer with a childlike mind could be one.

Part 3, as mentioned before, was good with the rape scene. I totally forgot about that. There may be some stretching that can be done for that one as well.

Part 4... I think the Tommy's world thing is interesting, and his transformation may be taking back his world. But this is probably pushing it.

Part 5 is more than a copycat. It has a warped direction and as I've already said, the people outside the loony bin are more fucked than inside. People are victims within and outside of it. Jason is dead, but his evil can't really be contained with a label. The spirit of Jason (not literal!) lives on in others. You can label something a halfway house but say that crazies live there, but as with Roy and some of the nutjobs elsewhere, maybe evil isn't so clearly subdued or pointed out. Tommy is supposed to be the survivor, but by the end even he is disturbed.

Part 6 may have something to do returning to the root of the problem. Tommy's journey to take Jason back to the lake where it all began. This actually fits in nicely with the Part 1 theory that I've posted in that remembering the past may save the outcome. But other than that opening line there's little else to support it beyond Hollywood-ized entertainment.

Part 7 has a childhood trauma too. Yay! Too bad it's hack-directed. The telekinesis dialogue is ripe with interpretation. Like Parts 4 and 6 though, it may not have enough to make it work.

Part 8 is a film I give more credit for than most people. It's not nearly as terrible as people say. I can't think of something to fit it at this time though.

Part 9 ... I don't know guys, it feels like a quick fan production, and it looks it. I'd state a theory but I don't think it would be anything more than stupid.

Part 10... well Evil Bastard said it best, "good ride", aka, nothing beyond its script. That's not depth, that's entertainment. And not my idea of it either.

Part 11 has evil vs evil. The bad can sometimes counter the bad. Thing is the series has been made by fans since Jason Lives, whereas the first five are made by signed on directors. As it goes on I see less and less underlying structure, or even potential therein.

Part 12 ... it took elements from 1-4 without understanding the context. It's a mess and I can't make sense of it this way.