Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 09-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
buck135
The Duke of New York

4K Blu-ray 2015

I'm very curious about what you guys think about this. I need to see some buy-in from Warner, Universal and Paramount before I make up my mind.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14923#comments
Old 09-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #2
maybrick
HackMaster

It's obvious that discs with progressively higher and higher resolutions will continue to be put out until the extinction of the human race, but unless we're talking about TVs on the scale of 80" to 120" 4K is pretty much a waste of money. Heck, even regular blu-ray as it stands is already considered a waste of money by Joe Consumer. You have to basically shove your nose onto the panel before you see any real difference between that and 1080p.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
Dave
Pimp

It'll be a niche. Not necessarily a bad thing. I have been pretty good with my bluray buying and the same will continue for 4K blu, assuming I get a TV at some point.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
buck135
The Duke of New York

The thing in the article that stood out to me was the mention of larger disc capacity benefiting the medium because bit rates would be higher. I might be mistaken, but it seems to me that studios generally utilize BD-25's causing bit rates to suffer. I need to do some more research in the coming year.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
killit
Maniac

Lol bring back LD as a 12inch 4k disc
killit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #6
X-human
I ate my keys

Higher frame rates and higher resolution 3D would be the true benefits. Since they have to accommodate a frame for each eye with 3D transfers are effectively half the resolution of any given format. So 4k 3D will give you the equivalent of 2k 2D.

I'm not buying anything next gen until they figure out glassesless 3D. That's the real next step to my mind.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Katatonia
Master of Doom

It'll be a few years before anything much worthwhile comes out on the format. It'll certainly be a niche market for many years.

By then I might need a new TV, and they'll surely be more advanced by then... but you're going to need a 60"+ screen to really benefit all that much from watching stuff at native 4K.

...and of course by then, they'll inevitably start to reissue all the early 4K discs again.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Christy
Stalker

I'm not that crazy when it comes to blu rays too expensive. Too many are 25GB and nothing more then upscaled DVD. Allot of blu rays are burned on very cheap BD-25 discs. When you flip the disc you can tell by the low grade silvery color it's a cheap BD disc. So I do not own any allot of blu rays just don't impress me. Don't get me wrong I know there is some amazing blu rays like shout factory etc. You can still always get the remastered duel layered DVD version. Also to get the full effect of 4K blu rays wouldn't you need a 4K TV? Wouldn't 4K also make already grainy blu rays even more grainy?
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Is there such a thing as a premium Blu-ray disc in terms of manufacturing quality? Whenever someone mentions "cheap" discs I always think of a "one size fits all" scenario. Even the BD-Rs that are sold at places like Staples for people to burn their own are essentially the same as commercial ones, are they not?
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
X-human
I ate my keys

BD-R's are not the same at all as standard Blu-ray's.

A manufactured BD is literally punched out metal with grooves marking all the 0's and 1's that make up the digital information. I'm sure you've seen metal punch presses, this is just a more sophisticated version of that.

BD-R's are blank slates that when inserted into a BD player are read just like a pressed disc would be. Think of printing out a counterfeit dollar and putting it into a vending machine. A BD-R works much like those toys where you take a magnet and move metal shavings around to make a bald man have hair and/or a beard. A BD-R is the picture of the bald guy and the BD-R burner is the pen that magnetizes where on the bald head the metal shavings should stick. So basically if you shake a BD-R hard enough you'll knock all the shavings off the bald guy's head. Admittedly these BD-R discs are a lot harder to shake in such an effective way as they're designed to last, but jimmy and shake them in just the right way and they loose their data just the same.

DVD vs DVD-R is very much the same way.

But yes, a Blu-ray can be cheaply made. It's actually layers of aluminum glued to plastic. Any air bubbles, or impure glue, or poorly minted aluminum, etc, can cause issues known as "disc rot." This widely happened in laserdiscs and some early CD's, has been known to happen with DVD's and may happen with Blu-ray's. However there isn't really a go to manufacturer to trust. Basically any off the shelf BD-R's is made by different manufacturers regardless of the label. Even a Sony labeled container can be manufactured by the same company that the Memorex container sitting right next to it used. Then the next batch another manufacturer entirely. A few manufacturers make these but none actually sell the discs at consumer levels, everything you see on the shelf is middle men; even Sony/Toshiba/Memorex/Whathaveyou. So Warner may do one batch of The Dark Knight with one manufacturer, and the next batch with another. It's mostly based on each plant's scheduling. It's hard to tell the differences unless a batch really really sucks.

It's hard to think of any recent batches that were really bad. Basic QA processes easily rule these issues out.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?

Last edited by X-human; 09-06-2014 at 07:42 PM.
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
BD-R's are not the same at all as standard Blu-ray's.

A manufactured BD is literally punched out metal with grooves marking all the 0's and 1's that make up the digital information. I'm sure you've seen metal punch presses, this is just a more sophisticated version of that.

BD-R's are blank slates that when inserted into a BD player are read just like a pressed disc would be. Think of printing out a counterfeit dollar and putting it into a vending machine. A BD-R works much like those toys where you take a magnet and move metal shavings around to make a bald man have hair and/or a beard. A BD-R is the picture of the bald guy and the BD-R burner is the pen that magnetizes where on the bald head the metal shavings should stick. So basically if you shake a BD-R hard enough you'll knock all the shavings off the bald guy's head. Admittedly these BD-R discs are a lot harder to shake in such an effective way as they're designed to last, but jimmy and shake them in just the right way and they loose their data just the same.

DVD vs DVD-R is very much the same way.

But yes, a Blu-ray can be cheaply made. It's actually layers of aluminum glued to plastic. Any air bubbles, or impure glue, or poorly minted aluminum, etc, can cause issues known as "disc rot." This widely happened in laserdiscs and some early CD's, has been known to happen with DVD's and may happen with Blu-ray's. However there isn't really a go to manufacturer to trust. Basically any off the shelf BD-R's is made by different manufacturers regardless of the label. Even a Sony labeled container can be manufactured by the same company that the Memorex container sitting right next to it used. Then the next batch another manufacturer entirely. A few manufacturers make these but none actually sell the discs at consumer levels, everything you see on the shelf is middle men; even Sony/Toshiba/Memorex/Whathaveyou. So Warner may do one batch of The Dark Knight with one manufacturer, and the next batch with another. It's mostly based on each plant's scheduling. It's hard to tell the differences unless a batch really really sucks.

It's hard to think of any recent batches that were really bad. Basic QA processes easily rule these issues out.
Thank you for that. I never knew any of the information you just provided.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Thanks for the clarification, X-human. I don't want to further derail this thread but I just wanted to also point out that dvd-r discs, like the ones that Warner uses for their MOD releases, seem to be of better quality than standard DVD discs. I do quick periodic spot checks of random discs and have noticed that the MOD discs have remained pretty much pristine despite getting repeat use. No scratches, hairline marks, not so much as a faint scuff. Many of my regular DVDs, on the other hand, are riddled with surface marks of all kinds. This is good news for me since I started selling on Amazon. I've sold a couple of MODs and both were in perfect condition. Are BDRs also purple-colored?
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post
Also to get the full effect of 4K blu rays wouldn't you need a 4K TV? Wouldn't 4K also make already grainy blu rays even more grainy?
Yes. New discs, new TV's. The Ultra HD format has to become available from all of the cable providers soon, and it needs to be affordable. The 4 major sports must embrace the technology as well. Unfortunately, I only enjoy hockey, and my cable company only offers the Center Ice package and the NHL Network in standard definition. It sucks.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Grim
HackMaster

I'm excited about this new format and I hope it catches on, but I myself will not be upgrading until either I have the space to put a 4K screen whose size actually warrants the increased resolution or blu-ray is simply discontinued in favor of the new format, which I'm not going to be butthurt about. Technology is always changing and as the years go on it changes even faster.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I am not interested at this point--I haven't even crossed over to 3D yet! I am tired of upgrading my collection, which is still thousands of titles strong. I just can't see me playing follow-the-leader yet.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote