Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
X-human
I ate my keys

Curse of Frankenstein 10/15 + Devil Rides Out, Mummy's Shroud & Rasputin 10/22

I must have assumed we talked about it here but I just realized we hadn't so here it is:
Quote:

Hammer, Icon Film Distribution and Lionsgate are proud to present Terence Fisher's Gothic classic The Curse of Frankenstein fully restored in High Definition and for the first time in its original Academy ratio of 1.37:1.

Available 15th October in the UK & Ireland on 3-disc Double Play, the pack includes 1 x Blu-ray and 2 x DVD packed full of brand new content. Featuring new documentaries and bonus extras, and including the infamous "eyeball" scene, which was originally banned but has now been fully restored.

The Curse of Frankenstein
Double Play: 1 x BD & 2 x DVD
Cert: 15 (TBC)
Released: 15th October 2012
Region B/2

Single Blu-ray 50 disc

HD Main Feature – Never before released “Academy” ratio 1.37:1 – 83 mins – DTS MA 2.0
HD The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) – alternate aspect ratio – 83mins – DTS MA 2.0
New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
The Tale of Tales of Frankenstein (new & exclusive Ted Newsom documentary)
World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
Stills show
English HOH subtitles for Main Feature

Double DVD

DISC #1:
Main Feature – Never before released “Academy” ratio 1.37:1 – 83 mins – DD 2.0 – English HOH subtitles
The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) – alternate aspect ratio – 83mins - DD 2.0
New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby

DISC #2:
Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
The Tale of Tales of Frankenstein (new & exclusive Ted Newsom documentary)
World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
Stills show
PDF Original shooting script
PDF all-new booklet “The Creator’s Spark: Hammer’s Frankenstein Begins” with text by Hammer archivist Robert J. E. Simpson

Synopsis:
Baron Victor Frankenstein is the archetypal aristocrat: well-read, cultured and arrogant. Beyond the sophisticated veneer exists a cruel, utterly unscrupulous man, obsessed with ambition. Determined to realise his greatest dream, to create life, he assembles a creature from organs gathered from various unwilling donors. The creature is successful brought to life but the instability of the brain, irretrievably damaged, causes uncontrollable and violent spasms that result in indiscriminate murder... and it is the Baron to whom the blame is laid, with fatal consequences.

History:
The Curse of Frankenstein is a classic 1957 British horror film by Hammer Film Productions, based on the novel Frankenstein (1816) by Mary Shelley. It was Hammer's first colour horror film, and the first of their Frankenstein series. Its worldwide success led to several sequels as well as the studio's versions of Dracula (1958) and The Mummy (1959) and established "Hammer Horror" as a distinctive and uniquely British brand of Gothic cinema. The film was directed by Terence Fisher and starred Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in two of their most iconic roles.

Cast:
• Peter Cushing as Baron Victor von Frankenstein
• Christopher Lee as The Creature
• Hazel Court as Elizabeth
• Robert Urquhart as Dr. Paul Krempe
• Valerie Gaunt as Justine
• Noel Hood as Aunt Sophia
• Melvyn Hayes as Young Victor
• Paul Hardtmuth as Professor Bernstein
• Fred Johnson as Grandpa

Catalogue number: LGD94955
Barcode: 5060223768168
http://www.hammerfilms.com/news/arti...n-release-date

Hammer originally announced the 1.37:1 framing for a preview screening:
Quote:
Yes, it’s full frame, but matted just off the edges for sharp mask. We also always thought the film was intended for 1.66:1 exhibition till we reviewed the entire film (4k open gate scan of I/P) open matte in a screening room. It is crystal clear, upon viewing, that the film was intended to be screened at 1.37:1. The framing is perfectly composed throughout at full frame and there are zero production artefacts in the frame at any point. Although 1.66:1 had mostly became the widescreen standard by the end of the 50s, many films in that decade were still shot with the intention that they would be exhibited at the Academy ratio. DRACULA was definitely shot to be exhibited at 1.66:1. Same with all the subsequent Hammer Gothics. THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN appears to be a transitional film — shot in colour, but intended to be screened at 1.37:1.
http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=135#comments

It'll be interesting to see it full frame. So long as they include the 1.66:1 that'll be just find.

Also there's Amazon.co.uk listings for The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin: The Mad Monk and The Mummy's Shroud from Studio Canal on Oct. 22nd. Rasputin will reportedly include both a 2.35:1 and 2.55:1 transfer as well.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
dave13
HackMaster

Region B? fuck. c'mon region A!
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Region B? fuck. c'mon region A!
I know .I'm going region free eventually just to get these Hammer blus.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Drinkinstein
Stalker

Damn! Someone needs to get on the region A releases of these now! It's killing me knowing they're out overseas! It's too tempting to go all regions, and that'll bankrupt me...
Drinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
dave13
HackMaster

i've never gone region free for dvd. its always something i thought vaguely about, but never got around to doing - too many region 1 dvds that i still wanted. but stuff like this...this could make me make the switch. it really could. if, as some people say, physical media becomes more of a niche thing, then i'm not gonna see any alternative. do i see warner bros. really pulling out all the stops for these films? as much as i love them (and i do, they're one of my favorite major studios), i just don't see that happening.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
X-human
I ate my keys

Considering Warner Bros. are pulling out all the stops to put the 1953 House of Wax on Blu-ray in 3D I don't doubt that they would release Hammer Horror on Blu-ray too. In fact Hammer mentions that some parts of the new transfer came from a print held by Warner so they are involved in some way with this Frankenstein release.

I suspect, and hope, that Warner is waiting for the restoration of Horror of Dracula to be completed and maybe then release Dracula along with Frankenstein and who knows maybe even The Mummy.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

The title of this thread should reflect the fact that these are foreign/non-region 1 releases
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
russweiss
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
The title of this thread should reflect the fact that these are foreign/non-region 1 releases
Why? It is digital horror media regardless of region and lots of people are region free already.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
X-human
I ate my keys

The Devil Rides Out has digital enhancements added to the special effects:
Quote:
In one scene, Christopher Lee’s occult expert and his friends face a series of magical attacks as they shelter inside a chalk circle. It’s a classic sequence, but one slightly undermined by some shoddy optical effects. For example, when the “Angel Of Death” canters in on horseback, bits of his steed’s legs blink out of existence. One effects shot is notorious amongst Hammer fans for having made its way into the film in an unfinished state. When the camera zooms in on the Angel Of Death’s helmeted bonce, and his face-guard drops down to reveal a grinning skeleton, the background is all bluescreen – they never got round to putting something in. In the newly enhanced version, blue flames are licking about behind him. These tweaks are just two of a handful of changes.
http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/09/28/blog...r-desecration/

You can see some screenshots here: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/09/28/blog...desecration/2/

Hammer has confirmed on twitter that the original SFX will not be preserved on the Blu-ray release:
https://twitter.com/hammerfilms/stat...10833068544000
https://twitter.com/hammerfilms/stat...22783953481728

So that's disappointing and will be one less Blu-ray on my shelf. I don't mind a little polish if the SFX are rough around the edges but when you're redoing them like that it's just as distracting as the "dated" originals so you might as well leave well enough alone and put the money to better use.

I've been hopeful that another distributor in the US would pick these up and now I pray that they have the good sense to go back to the original footage if they do.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Katatonia
Master of Doom

UGH, you gotta be friggin' kidding me?? George Lucas-ified Hammer?

I don't mind a "minor" tweak here and there, or even if they still include the original versions, but those screenshots just look abominable.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Fucking A....
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Us Brits use this site also. Yes im looking forward to these especially Frankenstein. I have also sold my DVD of The Mummys Shroud in anticipation of this Blu release Heres to more Hammer on Blu!!!
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
Us Brits use this site also. Yes im looking forward to these especially Frankenstein. I have also sold my DVD of The Mummys Shroud in anticipation of this Blu release Heres to more Hammer on Blu!!!
Amen brother. I am still waiting for "Dracula Prince of Darkness." One of my absolute favorites.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Eddyw78
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Amen brother. I am still waiting for "Dracula Prince of Darkness." One of my absolute favorites.
Already out. Has been for ages. Make.sure if you buy third party you get the newer pressing with the correct lip sync. Maybe better to buy from Amazon directly.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post
Already out. Has been for ages. Make.sure if you buy third party you get the newer pressing with the correct lip sync. Maybe better to buy from Amazon directly.
Sorry, my post didn't make sense. I just ordered it a few weeks ago along with Bond 50. It just shipped. I meant that I can't wait to receive it.

Last edited by buck135; 09-30-2012 at 05:42 AM.
buck135 is offline   Reply With Quote