bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide View Post
2 came out from Olive back in February, it's kind of expensive though:
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Demons-B...f+the+demons+2
It's cheaper at ImportCDs. I expect they'll have their SAVE10 special starting later this week.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #34
j tea
Stalker

Y'all will probably shit on me, but I watched this for the first time this weekend it didn't work for me. For the people that love it, was it something you watched when you were younger and have more of a connection to? I have plenty of movies like that. I just felt like this was 90 minutes of people following each other around a house. I know lots of movies could be described that way, but this lacked much else for me. Defenders?
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #35
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by j tea View Post
Y'all will probably shit on me, but I watched this for the first time this weekend it didn't work for me. For the people that love it, was it something you watched when you were younger and have more of a connection to? I have plenty of movies like that. I just felt like this was 90 minutes of people following each other around a house. I know lots of movies could be described that way, but this lacked much else for me. Defenders?
I think for a lot of folks it came out around the time the horror genre was mostly on its way out. A lot of people look at it as one of the 80s last big films that carried on outside of the decade as a hit.

It also was a lot better than the standard slasher fare even though those were the characters to which the film utilized. Instead of simply being knocked off by a masked killer, they were knocked off by each other to return as killers.

The characters all also represent a good portion of what made the 80s fun. I mean really would any of those people hang out in real life? Probably not. Today's horror, well most, features groups of friends who look alike, act alike, hell in some cases sound alike. It's almost as if audiences now can't bend into that a diverse group would be friends, in the 80s - it seemed more acceptable.

I love this movie for a plethora of reasons; the make up, the cast, the atmosphere, writing, music, etc. I did see it when I was a kid but even as I've grown, I've enjoyed it while other childhood favorites haven't fared so well.

The film has flaws sure but I don't think many films achieve "perfect" status for me sans a small few so I can overlook them.

To me it's not anything worse than a majority of the hit films to rise out of the 80s, I'm always surprised when I hear someone doesn't like it but keep an open ear to find out as to why. I have a friend who didn't like it because he felt like it was a 90 minute after school special - his words, not mine - but loved the second one. Maybe you should check that one out as well?

The third's pretty much cannon fodder, while it does have its fans - it pales in comparison to the first two films. Hrm. Perhaps you should watch the third one, it'll put the first one in a whole new light!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #36
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
I watched it for the first time a few years ago and loved it. It's one of my favorite horror films.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #37
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Nostalgia is certainly part of the ongoing love affair with many of these movies - I think you have to have watched them at a young age to fully appreciate the vast majority of them. NIGHT OF THE COMET is a movie that may seem silly to a lot of folks watching it for the first time today and the film is, unquestionably, cheesy and dumb but it is at the same time, arguably, rather appealing and "familiar", which is a good thing. Same thing with NOTD. If you go into them for the 90 or so minutes of escapist entertainment then you should be OK.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
j tea
Stalker

I really liked everything until people started turning into demons. Jeez, maybe I am just getting old. The little brother should have played a bigger role. He stole the show.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #39
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
I haven't watched this in years, mainly because I had a similar reaction. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't think it was very entertaining. It joins my short list of similar movies (HELL NIGHT, MADMAN, THE BURNING) that I only saw much later and did not resonate with me as it obviously has for people who saw them closer to their release time.

There are plenty of shitty 70s and 80s movies that I love even though I know they're shitty movies (KRULL anyone?) but remind me of "simpler times."

But I remember seeing NOTD 2 and enjoying it more. You may want to look into it.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #40
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
I really liked everything until people started turning into demons. Jeez, maybe I am just getting old. The little brother should have played a bigger role. He stole the show.
He was actually supposed to, but child labor laws and budget prevented it.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #41
spawningblue
Deadite

I didn't love this one too much on my first viewing about 5 years ago either, but it has really grown on me. I still think it's slightly overrated, and prefer the second film more as well, but it is a lot of fun. The wraparound is almost better than the movie.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #42
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

The limited poster on the Shout Factory website is already sold out!

Glad I got my order in. This is easily my most anticipated blu-ray release since Night Of The Demons 2.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #43
myhorror
Victim

Seems like it took a while to sell out.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #44
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorror View Post
Seems like it took a while to sell out.
I think in most cases, the extra items have still been available around the release date. The poster for Cat People is still available and that streets before Night Of The Demons.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #45
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Is anyone ordering the Blu-ray from Dark Delicacies? They'll have Kevin Tenney (and others to be announced) signing them on 2/8.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
night of the demons