Maniac

just this year
Texas Chainsaw
Hansel And Gretel Witch Hunters
The Purge
Come And Get Me
Cherry Tree Lane
Presidents Day

Last edited by cjg; 06-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Prom Night (2008)
The Fog (2005)
Notorious stinker: Children of the Living Dead (2001) is not even fun on a so-bad so-good level.
I was also underwhelmed by Chillerama. This could've been so much better without the juvenile gross-out humor.
Spiders 3D (2013) - Tibor Takacs return to the big screen was a lifeless, dull effort. Great production values, but how someone can make a movie about giant spiders from space boring is beyond me. Give me Takacs' Mansquito (2005) over this any time.
Certainly not bad, but I expected more from The Innkeepers. Ti West needs to dump the slow burner genre, unless he's making a sequel to House of the Devil.
I also thought Stakeland was overrated. It's good for what it is, but there's also lots of unintentional humor.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
russweiss
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
just this year
Texas Chainsaw
The Purge
Come And Get Me
Cherry Tree Lane
Presidents Day
I'm glad to see someone else hated the Purge also. I won't put it on my top list of crap but the characters definitely made me angry. Some recent stinkers I sat through:

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Magdalena: Possessed by the Devil
Zombie Apocalypse: Redemption
Helldriver
The Shrine

and one of my top all time crap titles:

Blair Witch Project
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Paff

Damn. I liked The Shrine...

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
dave13
HackMaster

I remember having serious animosity towards The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen Before, as it was originally called. I was so angry when I watched that for the first time. The fact that it's trying to work some revisionist history mindfuck on all of us by labelling itself now as The Director's Cut, which is now the apparent default version, since that's the one included in the single disc blu ray release just makes matters worse.

I was also incensed by The Butterfly Effect, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere. The fact that it was praised as being intelligent when it was released was what really got under my skin.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
crikan
HackMaster

ROT: Reunion of Terror (2008)
Don't Go in the Woods... Alone (1981)
Mother's Day (1980)
Scream (1981)
The Exorcist 2: Heretic (1977)
The Devil Within Her (Beyond the Door) (1974)
Midnight (1989)
Frogs (1972)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
Not a horror movie. It's an action movie with fantasy elements. But I like to put it the "fun as hell" genre.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I was also incensed by The Butterfly Effect, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere. The fact that it was praised as being intelligent when it was released was what really got under my skin.
Seen it many times, and I still don't get the appeal. To me its kind of like a poor man's "Donnie Darko". Why Butterfly Effect is so highly regarded I will never understand.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
Eddyw78
Stalker

The Nostril Picker uuuugh what a horrid cheap movie. Also Drive-in Massacre. I loved the cover art on the Vipco DVD(with the skull and the car) but the movie was dull, boring and had a crappy non related tacked on ending.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
Seen it many times, and I still don't get the appeal. To me its kind of like a poor man's "Donnie Darko". Why Butterfly Effect is so highly regarded I will never understand.
wait a minute, you're using the present tense. is it STILL highly regarded? I thought people had generally come around on that one, and that it had been swallowed up in the trail of refuse that Kutcher leaves in his wake. If the general public still thinks this was a quality piece of science fiction, well then...fuck! I'm angry all over again!
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
Mother's Day (1980)

NOES remake and Zombieween spring to mind.

Kinda surprised they haven't been mentioned yet...

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #26
crikan
HackMaster

Sometimes I get angry that Troma exists. You have to watch a dozen Troma flicks just to find one that isn't the worst thing your eyes have ever seen. Their success is dumbfounding. They make hundreds of films with the expertise and production values of backyard wrestling videos yet they continue to stay in business. Even if each film costs $1,000 to create and distribute, how the hell are they generating more than $1,000 in sales? Their movies are an insult to any life form with opposable thumbs.

In all seriousmess, with most Troma films I get the impression that there was no attempt at making something worthwhile. Their films often feel like souless cash grabs or at best, some idiot's home movie.

Last edited by crikan; 06-19-2013 at 10:48 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #27
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shithead View Post

NOES remake and Zombieween spring to mind.

Kinda surprised they haven't been mentioned yet...
I loathed the NOES remake! It was beyond bad and disheartening that it was made by a majority of people that had no passion for the material and really did not give a shit and it shows. NOES deserved better!

I also really did not like The Mist. I thought the acting was awful and the whole thing just annoyed me, especially the over the top downbeat ending which just made me laugh.

[Rec]3 irritated me. The Halloween remake. Hellraiser: Hellseeker - they brought back Ashley Laurence for that? Halloween 8. Malevolence. Can't think of anything else at the moment but I'm sure there is more.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
Paff

I've always viewed Troma as being intentional schlock, which never really works. With most bad directors like Ed Wood, they say "Let's take this fake octopus, have a stuntman (it wasn't Bela Lugosi, like depicted in Tim Burton's film) writhe around with it, and cut it with stock footage of a real octopus and it will totally look real!". Of course it doesn't, and we laugh at it.
Troma says "Let's make movies that obviously look fake and tongue-in-cheek, and we'll have a cult classic on our hands". And in the end, we know they're pulling one over on us and we feel insulted and used.

Then the horror fan equivalent of a hipster will watch these movies (the same way regular hipsters drink cheap swill like Pabst Blue Ribbon in order to be "ironic") and Lloyd Kaufman gets to make another mortgage payment on his NY condo.

Troma films are the equivalent of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. I guess that's what I'm saying here, in my usual rambling manner.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #29
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Mother's Day (1980)
The Exorcist 2: Heretic (1977)
The Devil Within Her (Beyond the Door) (1974)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
Magdalena: Possessed by the Devil
Guys, this is supposed to be worst of the worst. I'm not sure what that entails. I put it as things that have no value and are chores to sit through.
Mother's Day is annoying but I think it's one of the best Troma films.

Exorcist 2, Beyond the Door, Magdalena... cheesy yes, but the first two are art films with different intents. The Heretic is a great movie imo. Magdalena is too ridiculous to put so low. But I may need someone to clarify what they mean by worst of the worst.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #30
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

Quote:
Their films often feel like souless cash grabs
If you've seen the making of's on some of their DVD's, you probably wouldn't say this. Plenty of soul and hard work goes into these films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Then the horror fan equivalent of a hipster will watch these movies (the same way regular hipsters drink cheap swill like Pabst Blue Ribbon in order to be "ironic") and Lloyd Kaufman gets to make another mortgage payment on his NY condo.
Well...I'm not a hipster, and I don't watch Troma films to be ironic. I watch them (the good ones, anyways) for the gore, boobies, trashiness and laughs.

I'm not saying that Troma doesn't have it's fair share of stinkers, but there are quite a few that I find highly entertaining.

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote