Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Which is the better film?
Evil Dead(2013) 14 37.84%
Cabin in the Woods 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I can't decide either. I would have to re-watch each of them. Find out which had better quotes and such and then make a call. I have a feeling Cabin in the Woods has the edge on characters but Evil Dead remake has the edge on gore/kills.

Have you seen it yet?
Yes I have and its the worst remake ive seen.
The film makes the Nightmare on Elm Street & Halloween remakes seem as the same qualty as their original
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Disrespectful. D-I-S-R-E-S-P-E-C-T-F-U-L. Disrespectful.

Use it in a sentence, please. "ThisEvilBastard is disrespectful towards the English language."
Paff, I'm quite certain disresecptull is simply an archaic word you and all others simply don't know the meaning of.

Mikey, I thought parts of Cabin were unsettling. Anyway, it was fun and different. Not what I expected going in, and I had a good time. They've been making light of the cliches in horror films for almost as long as they've been making horror films. If it's well made and smartly written I applaud the effort.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I can't decide either. I would have to re-watch each of them. Find out which had better quotes and such and then make a call. I have a feeling Cabin in the Woods has the edge on characters but Evil Dead remake has the edge on gore/kills.

Have you seen it yet?
He has... he even took the time to post a 6 hour rant about that on you tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisEvilBastard View Post
Yes I have and its the worst remake ive seen.
The film makes the Nightmare on Elm Street & Halloween remakes seem as the same qualty as their original
Clearly you don´t know your priorities or even the evaluation of the given subject.

First, Evil Dead is not a remake, it is a reboot planned to merge both franchises. Second, while I respect your disliking for the Evil Dead "reboot", I think it is absolutely distasteful and a great lack of respect to put the new Nightmare On Elm Street and the new Halloween on the same level of their originals.

Third, what is "qualty", do you mean "quality". There is no excuse for making so many mistakes because when you a writing a post, if you write something the wrong way the word will have a red line underneath it, at least my computer works this way.

Fourth, Busta still cannot act!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Paff

With RESPECT to the topic at hand, I didn't see The Evil Dead remake (or reboot, whatever you want to call it) so I can't vote. I did enjoy The Cabin in the Woods though, as I thought it was a biting indictment of many horror fans and filmmakers both. It was more than just pointing out cliches (which was all Scream did), it was a comment that with just a few alterations here and there, horror filmmakers are basically sticking to a pretty much established template. Worse than that, horror fans are ok with watching essentially the same film over and over again, and really only complaining when someone dares to do something different (see: the divisiveness of The Blair Witch Project).

I can't count how many times I'll see people on this very site gushing over a certain film, I'll rent it, and see it's just the same damn thing we've seen a million times before. Like I can't comprehend how people will discuss the endless sequels to Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, et al when for the most part these sequels are just the same films over and over again. What's the damn difference?

The Cabin in the Woods ridicules that repetitiveness, that's why I liked it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #20
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
First, Evil Dead is not a remake, it is a reboot planned to merge both franchises.
I don't think that distinction makes any difference at all.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #21
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I don't think that distinction makes any difference at all.
Well no thats just Bruce and the guys bullshiting you
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
spawningblue
Deadite

I went with Cabin in the Woods. Evil Dead was a fun gore soaked ride, but other then the gore there wasn't too much to it. Cabin in the Woods was a fresh comedic take on the genre with likeable characters and one of the coolest final 20 min. I have ever seen. I don't see how any horror fan can hate that part of the movie? I had a blast with both in the theatres but Cabin made me excited to watch it again right away, Evil Dead not so much. And I agree, I don't think Cabin is an Evil Dead remake at all.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
Ash28M
HackMaster

Not a big fan of Cabin in the woods. Thought Evil Dead was very good.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #24
othervoice1
HackMaster

I LOOOOOOVED Cabin in the Woods - but I am also a big Joss Whedon fan and love his humor and writing. I also enjoyed Evil Dead but not nearly as much.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #25
unclefred
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt hook View Post
cabin in the woods, no contest.

The evil dead remake was atrocious.
+1.
unclefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
allmessedup
It's beer time.

Cabin in the Woods all the way.

I liked the Evil Dead remake okay, but it was only an average movie.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
With RESPECT to the topic at hand, I didn't see The Evil Dead remake (or reboot, whatever you want to call it) so I can't vote. I did enjoy The Cabin in the Woods though, as I thought it was a biting indictment of many horror fans and filmmakers both. It was more than just pointing out cliches (which was all Scream did), it was a comment that with just a few alterations here and there, horror filmmakers are basically sticking to a pretty much established template. Worse than that, horror fans are ok with watching essentially the same film over and over again, and really only complaining when someone dares to do something different (see: the divisiveness of The Blair Witch Project).

I can't count how many times I'll see people on this very site gushing over a certain film, I'll rent it, and see it's just the same damn thing we've seen a million times before. Like I can't comprehend how people will discuss the endless sequels to Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, et al when for the most part these sequels are just the same films over and over again. What's the damn difference?

The Cabin in the Woods ridicules that repetitiveness, that's why I liked it.
It hardly did so without ripping off a few other important movies along the way. I mean, when you scrape off the "gee, we've seen an Asian schoolgirl film before" type stuff they did, you basically have The Truman Show and Network. I consider that to be a little lazy. Actually, a lot lazy. More proof of this can be found in the fact that they also ripped off the remake of 13 Ghosts to get their big Monsters in Class Cages subplot. Maybe even Hellraiser and Resident Evil too.

I was more than a little miffed when I read this the first time and you brought up Scream to brand it inferior. But the fact is that you're just way off. Not necessarily about CITW being superior. As much as I hated it, I can't really say your view isn't valid to you. But Scream was a 2 hour film, back when filmmakers actually used those 2 hours to do things, with a hell of a lot more going for it than naming off clichés. #1: It did so to characterize the teenagers as arrogant rather than hip (hipness being the charge so many of the people who hated try to hold against it when Craven and Williamson weren't doing a damn thing in the movie to - let's say - push Ghostface as a merchandisable figure, make smaller faces like Rose McGowan and Jamie Kennedy into stars, or manipulate audiences with anything phony to get the teens to like it), ignorant, naïve, and jaded. #2: The film was actually more about how the media affected the teen characters than clichés in horror. #3: It was in no small or hidden manner about how certain authority figures use the genre as a scapegoat to blame the bad behavior of teenagers. You really should go back and rewatch it.

The Cabin in the Woods may be the most clueless, blind, unperceptive horror film to come out since Slumber Party Massacre III. Literally, since Scream, every single year we've gotten an entirely self-aware horror film meditating on the clichés and trademarks of a certain sub-sect of the genre. Has anyone taken a look around lately? Wishmaster, Bride of Chucky, Urban Legend, Cherry Falls, The Dead Hate the Living, Disturbing Behavior, Halloween H20, Children of the Corn V, The Faculty: and these are just in the 3 years following Scream. Every single one of these movies were self-aware, from cameos to name drops to endless examples of areas where the filmmakers were expecting viewers to know what movie they were borrowing from. And not just a Jason mask here or Freddy sweater there. Entire situations were copied, and from movies as varied as The Stepford Wives and Westworld. Which weren't nearly as recognizable to young audiences as Children of the Corn was to the viewers who forked over money to see For Richer or Poorer in its theatrical run.

What happened after The Blair Witch Project? Not a thing. The self-aware trend kept on going. Only, it spawned careers: Rob Zombie, Eli Roth, Alexandre Aja, Ti West, Lucky McKee. Each and every one of these directors made their own Mr. Potatohead horror movie. But how did they get careers? Not because they ripped off other movies. At least... that's not how the fans look at it. For the love of GOD, just look at The Devil's Rejects! How was that movie received? As a subversive, substantial self-aware grindhouse survival flick. Playing with convention. Blahdy blahblahblah. Meanwhile, how did it evolve as a form of storytelling incorporating its influences? Artless regurgitation. The scene where Sheri Moon does her rendition of Krug from Last House on the Left (and, way to go Zombie making her more "threatening" than in Corpses: pattern her after male characters because fuck forbid women be intimidating by their own nature). Bill Mosely doing a version of Leatherface which involves wearing a face mask... and that's all. And that truck death scene was clearly a wink to Bride of Chucky. Which no one else is willing to recognize. (This is why that irritates me.)

CITW was already made 10 years ago. It was called: Cabin Fever. I'll be the first to say it wasn't a successful experiment. However, it was anything but a stupid movie. And, it was as genuine and dedicated to trying to be unique and original as The Return of the Living Dead. With which it shares some surprising, seemingly incidental, parallels. CITW recreates a scene from Cabin Fever, under the assumption they're borrowing from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. For their sake, they'd better be copying from the latter. Because one of the things Cabin Fever did beautifully was making the group of college teens self-righteously PC to a flaw. In a way that actually related to the way teens were starting to turn out in the era of Girls Gone Wild: if you offend their morals (that's not to say they're actually open-minded when it comes to everything), you're a dick. Which is exactly why CITW is so damn clueless: they did the same thing - in a much less nuanced and intelligent manner - without realizing Cabin Fever already did it. And without the payoff CF had at the end when we realize they were wrong about the store owner. The only novelty the film has with characterization is Whedon's doing: this group of "teens" would easily fit in in the Buffy TV universe. (Sorry, but much like with Rob Zombie's movies, I never bought that series as authentic in its' trying to be smart with believable teen characters.)

As for the continued fandom for Carbon Copy sequels of the 80's... it was a better time for entertaining-bad filmmaking. Are we too hard on movies like Cabin in the Woods? I don't think so. I think what's much worse is that the makers of CITW are getting credit for ideas they didn't have.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 07-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post

What happened after The Blair Witch Project? Not a thing.
Paranormal Activity, its sequels, and all of the "found footage" horror that was popularized by BWP disagree with you.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Did you read what Paff said in his original post?:

Quote:
Worse than that, horror fans are ok with watching essentially the same film over and over again, and really only complaining when someone dares to do something different (see: the divisiveness of The Blair Witch Project).
His point wasn't about Blair Witch Project spawning a trend that CITW identified. It was about the film and its success showing the industry that fans valued new and original concepts over Carbon Copy plots from franchise to the next wannabe franchise.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #30
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Love both but felt CITW was more entertaining.