Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
msw7
Morso a morte

Which of these would you get rid of?

I'm in the process of purging my DVD collection, with quite deep cuts. Currently I'm faced with this problem - I have seven shelves on each face of my storage units (they rotate), and I'd like to empty one to make space for DVDs from another storage unit, which is almost empty by now.

I'm not interested in selling any on the forum, but I'm curious as to how people would solve this problem - which of these would you get rid of if they were your movies?

I have some ideas of what I'd do (and I'm probably not going to get rid of a favorite, even if everyone else here would choose that title), but I'm curious as to what other people here like, what you dislike, etc.

So, if you had to get rid of 15-20 of these, which ones would go?

The picture is a composite, so the size is a bit funky, but it was hard to get into focus in one shot. The titles on the left edge are (vertically, going down, some are nearly hidden and are hard to see):
Suspiria
Ghostbusters
Hausu
The Thing
Night of the Living Dead
Flesh for Frankenstein
Dark Waters (1994; Mariano Baino).

(edit: picture removed; see comment below for larger, clearer pics)

(if any titles aren't clear enough to make out, let me know, I just didn't want to type all of them in...)

Last edited by msw7; 06-26-2013 at 02:52 AM.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
msw7
Morso a morte

Ok, that picture is ridiculous - here are three better ones that cover all the shelves.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

It's hard to say without knowing your personal tastes. I can only tell you based on my own preferences.

I thought Doghouse was awful and couldn't make it past the first half, so that'd definitely be on the chopping block. Don't like the Rush Hour films, so I'd get rid of those. I actually have them too, and they're in my pile of movies to get rid of, but they're only selling for pennies on eBay and Amazon.

Black Hawk Down was a really good movie, but I don't see a lot of replay value in it. I saw it while it was in theaters and that was enough for me. Also, not a fan of the Takashi Miike stuff, so I'd probably get rid of those. Might hang onto Audition though.

Centurion and Zohan would probably have to go. Maybe Men In Black.

I'm not a Hammer fan either, but for those that are, that looks like a great set.

Why do you have Ginger Snaps 2, but not the first one? I know you're supposed to be getting rid of movies, but that's one you'll need to add.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
Body Boy
HackMaster

Row 3 please. Thank you.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
othervoice1
HackMaster

Quote:
Row 3 please. Thank you.
Well except it has one of my favorite movies of all time "Audition" and 13 Assassins I liked a lot as well. Im Gonna Git U Sucka Ive always liked as far as comedies go also.
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
It's hard to say without knowing your personal tastes. I can only tell you based on my own preferences.

I thought Doghouse was awful and couldn't make it past the first half, so that'd definitely be on the chopping block. Don't like the Rush Hour films, so I'd get rid of those. I actually have them too, and they're in my pile of movies to get rid of, but they're only selling for pennies on eBay and Amazon.

Black Hawk Down was a really good movie, but I don't see a lot of replay value in it. I saw it while it was in theaters and that was enough for me. Also, not a fan of the Takashi Miike stuff, so I'd probably get rid of those. Might hang onto Audition though.

Centurion and Zohan would probably have to go. Maybe Men In Black.

I'm not a Hammer fan either, but for those that are, that looks like a great set.

Why do you have Ginger Snaps 2, but not the first one? I know you're supposed to be getting rid of movies, but that's one you'll need to add.

Feel free - this is exactly what I'm looking for (I'm curious about other people's preferences and their reasons for keeping vs chucking).

The Hammer set is great, and I haven't made it all the way through it yet (so I'd have to keep that one, I think).

Oddly, I've always like Ginger Snaps 2 more than the first one. I don't know why, just preference I guess, or maybe the first one hit me in the wrong mood the first time I saw it.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
maybrick
HackMaster

I saw some choices on row #1 that I'd drop then I saw #2 and that settled it. I'd remove the entire row. I've even removed some of those titles from my collection as well mainly because not a single one of them is hard to find. You ever want to watch them again? Pay the 15 cents for it the next time you see it at a flea market or yard sale and then chuck it in the trash afterwards. There's no sense wasting precious space for them.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
deepred
Maniac

Yeah, Species you can get dirt cheap on even blu-ray now. I actually saw that one in the theatres when I was like 12.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
maybrick
HackMaster

Easy rule of thumb: go through your collection. when you come across a title that can or could be easily found in the budget bin of any big box retailer... consider it safe to chuck.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Dobby
HackMaster

Why do you want to get rid of your stuff msw7?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
dave13
HackMaster

am i the only one not seeing these pictures?
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Why do you want to get rid of your stuff msw7?
I can totally relate. I want to get rid of my stuff as well. It gets to the point when how many is too many? I've purged about 40-50 discs in the past few months and I still don't feel as if I've made a dent in my collection. It's become obvious that I own waaayyy more than I need.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I can totally relate. I want to get rid of my stuff as well. It gets to the point when how many is too many? I've purged about 40-50 discs in the past few months and I still don't feel as if I've made a dent in my collection. It's become obvious that I own waaayyy more than I need.
Exactly. It's to the point that I can't enjoy what I have because there is just so much.

That, plus I just helped a family member who's a hoarder move (willingly, but not with an entirely realistic grasp of the new situation). So right now I'm a little more motivated than usual to be anti-stuff.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #14
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
am i the only one not seeing these pictures?
They're also in an album in my profile, if for some reason they're not loading in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Row 3 please. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I saw some choices on row #1 that I'd drop then I saw #2 and that settled it. I'd remove the entire row.
I had a feeling the comedies would be among the first choices. Makes me wonder if the results would be different on a comedy-oriented forum.

(though I get your larger point maybrick)
Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Dobby
HackMaster

Well if you both want to get rid of some of your movies. Then at least try to get some cash for your stuff IMO. As far as what to get rid of I'm sure we could debate that for a while.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote