Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

How many you want to get rid of? I thought I saw you say 15... I'm going to take you at your word.

1: Good Will Hunting. Why? Because Robin Williams is actually more insufferable in dramatic roles than he is in comedic roles. Man did he ruin The Birdcage for me. (And I didn't even like Matt Damon in 30 Rock or Talented Mr. Ripley...and he did a good job.)

2: Dodgeball. Why.

3: Tommy Boy. For so many reasons. (I'm not kidding.) First what bothered me the most about the movie is that Tommy never actually does any work convincing people; of his salesmanship abilities- which he doesn't have, he just has his father's name. The movie just has him talk gibberish and scribble-in that the person listening gives him what he wants instead of having a genuine, intelligent human reaction to his gibberish. Which would involve rolling their eyes like David Spade does. You see... David Spade is fucking right!! He went to college, studied, learned, worked, and earned his chance to help the company. But Tommy's Got the Name. (And everything else just served to him on a silver platter, in fact.) Spade is completely right about how stupid and lazy Tommy is. But don't you dare call him on it! What pisses me off now is that everytime a character calls him out on his stupidity, the movie punishes them for it. Which is the movie's way of saying "give Tommy a break." But... he hasn't earned one! You don't get to be treated like royalty because of what your parents achieved. Nor just "being a nice person." This movie actually thinks otherwise. In the meantime, Tommy is a complete retard (don't do anything to damage the car, Spade could not have made this more clear). Literally baiting people to point out how stupid and lazy he is. If you do, someone rushes to his rescue even though there is no basis to defend his idiocy or karmatically, he breaks something of yours.

4: Bad/der Santa. See Dodgeball.

5: The Girl Next Door. The subject matter and execution are pretentious enough (typical of Jack Ketchum adaptations), but visually it looks like crap and most of the performances are made-for-TV movie at best.

6: Dead Snow. I know it's not deep. But the actors are sure as hell taking it pretty seriously. In the meantime... you may remember a scene where a boyfriend smothers his girlfriend with a pillow and thinks it's funny. It's a very good sign of just how bullshit this movie is. It's tossed aside immediately, then the makers expect you to remember it later. Meanwhile, again, there's nothing good about the movie.

7: Porky's. It's not a classic. It's just old.

8: Black Hawk Down. It's not a good movie.

9: The Shawshank Redemption. A film much better in memory than in reality. As a kid, this got off on the wrong foot right away with that courtroom scene. As an adult, the implications of the film's romanticization of prison life is even more disturbing.

10: Cannibal Holocaust. I'll grant the filmmakers that they had every reason to make it (look at the praise they've gotten) but there is literally no point in watching it. The defenders of the film prove that beyond a doubt: almost no one says it should be seen because it's offensive and disgusting and extreme. Even though that's why they watched it. They say it needs to be seen because it's socially redeeming. But a film that slaughters live animals has no right to preach "who are the real cannibals?" No matter what you think, you can't overlook that basic fact.

11: Cannibal Ferox. Pulled the same fucking stunts but with women not in the jungle being slapped around for a cheap laugh.

12: Anything associated with Rob Zombie. Speaking of hypocrisy, for all the time he was spouting off about how bad the teen horror trends of the 90's were, I never found 1 of his hairy, moronic, personality-challenged hillbilly antagonists (which are just about every character in his movies to varying degrees - even the suburbanites, come to think of it) never felt authentic to me. I think Bill Mosely is a terrible actor anyway but his performances in Zombie's flicks felt as genuine throwback-retro 70's grindhouse as The Cheetah Girls!

13: The House Bunny. Not sure why this was made exactly. I think someone remembered that scene from Legally Blonde and subconsciously decided to make a movie based on it. Of all the excuses to make a movie, this is about as bad as they get.

14: Smiley Face. You saw it once, right? I'm sure that's enough to keep. You'll always have the memories.

15: American Beauty. The only reason I had the impulse to want to re-watch this was to talk about it. Turns out it's not that interesting of a conversation topic. Replace with Election asap.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
Dobby
HackMaster

As far as stuff to get rid of here it goes hope you agree. Some of this stuff I either don't like or wouldn't want to re-watch.

Goodwill Hunting
Wild Things
Slither
There is something about Mary
Austin Powers
Office Space
SpaceBalls
Tommy Boy
Dodgeball
Zooolander
Super Troopers
Paradise
Rush Hour 1 & 2
Mean Girls
Smiley Face
House Bunny
Zohan
Both SNL DVDs
My cousin Vinnie
The dreamers
American Beauty

The rest of your movies rock my world keep em!!!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #18
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Well if you both want to get rid of some of your movies. Then at least try to get some cash for your stuff IMO. As far as what to get rid of I'm sure we could debate that for a while.
In a way it's almost a bigger problem to try to sell them. If they're selling for a few cents on amazon or ebay, it's hard to find a buyer who will pay more, and even if one sells for a dollar, suddenly that's a lot of work for basically still nothing. But, maybe it's worth a little effort to see if I can get lucky.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #19
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
In a way it's almost a bigger problem to try to sell them. If they're selling for a few cents on amazon or ebay, it's hard to find a buyer who will pay more, and even if one sells for a dollar, suddenly that's a lot of work for basically still nothing. But, maybe it's worth a little effort to see if I can get lucky.
Most of your movies I really like allot keep them please. As far as what I don't like I made you a list. You can always offer some movies for sale to our forum members also.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Don't even think of putting My Cousin Vinny in the junk pile.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
I wouldn't and didn't

Your post above was really entertaining to read - I can't say I agree with much of it, but some. (Dodgeball and Badder Santa are two of my favorite comedies ever, but I think you hit the nail on the head with Smiley Face). Your analysis of Tommy Boy, much like the movie, cracked me up - I don't think you're wrong with anything you said, mind you, but for such a dumb movie it always makes me laugh. Just like a fat guy in a little coat, it's somehow funny

Quote:
Most of your movies I really like allot keep them please. As far as what I don't like I made you a list. You can always offer some movies for sale to our forum members also.
thanks for the list. I don't agree with everything on it, but I do with some. It's interesting to weigh how much I enjoyed a movie in the past vs how much I think I'll want to watch it again. I really loved A Knight's Tale the first 5 times I saw it, but now have no need/desire to ever see it again. So even some of my favorites I could probably live without.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #23
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
thanks for the list. I don't agree with everything on it, but I do with some. It's interesting to weigh how much I enjoyed a movie in the past vs how much I think I'll want to watch it again. I really loved A Knight's Tale the first 5 times I saw it, but now have no need/desire to ever see it again. So even some of my favorites I could probably live without.
Would be cool if you make a list of what your getting rid. So we can all weigh in on what you agreed with and didn't.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Some of the guidelines I use for stuff like this are:

How special is the packaging to me? Discs are small, but cases take up a lot of space. So, is the case something that I would want to keep hold of?

Could I just rip this and be happy? Not all of the films in my collection need to have the most sterling presentation as a lot are either blind buys that I picked up for curiosity or nostalgic buys that I know aren't that good, but hold a place close to my heart. In most of those cases, a quality rip would work just fine.

How good are the extras? The main reason for me to hold onto a disc is the quality of the image. But the second reason is a really good set of extras. Since most of those would be lost without the disc, I'll hold onto it just for those. But, in cases where it's just a barebones release or a film that merely has a crappy 10 minute EPK on it, I'm comfortable ripping it.

How likely is it that the film will be released in a high quality format? Granted, this is a bit of a gamble, but I have run into a number of movies that I bought but never got around to watching before a newer, better version was released. So, if you have some films that you know you'd end up buying on BluRay, as long as it's something that's not likely to go OOP, get rid of it for now.

Lastly, how often do you really watch it?

Last edited by Anaestheus; 06-26-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #25
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Would be cool if you make a list of what your getting rid. So we can all weigh in on what you agreed with and didn't.
Will do. It might be a few more days, before decisions are final - well, realistically a month or two until I actually get rid of the ones I decide to get rid of, then it'll be final, but I'll post a list before that.

So far I seem to be keeping -
movies that I think are great and want to watch again
movies that I have only seen once or twice (good or bad) and want to see again
movies that might be hard to find if I want to rewatch them.

and ditching -
movies that I think are great but don't need to see again
movies that I might have liked but don't really remember and don't want to re-watch.
movies that I just don't care if I see them again or not

edit: related to Anaestheus' point about high quality re-releases. It's a good point. I traded in a ton of DVDs in January when I heard about blu-ray releases (e.g., Lifeforce and a few others) - I traded DVD copies of those movies plus others to upgrade a few. I actually don't remember what I got rid of, which is a good sign, since I certainly don't miss them.

Last edited by msw7; 06-26-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #26
Body Boy
HackMaster

Don't you EVER get rid of Mean Girls.

Keep Cann. Holo and Ferox for completist sake.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #27
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Ditch Cann. Holo and Ferox.

For pete's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Don't you EVER get rid of Mean Girls.
I almost added that to my list.

The only reason I didn't? Tim Meadows in a tanktop.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #28
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I can totally relate. I want to get rid of my stuff as well. It gets to the point when how many is too many? I've purged about 40-50 discs in the past few months and I still don't feel as if I've made a dent in my collection. It's become obvious that I own waaayyy more than I need.
I sold about 50 movies just a week ago at Vintage Stock, which they were all DVDs, and some of them were duplicate's and most of them I now own on Blu-Ray, and I still have almost 100 more to sell, which are DVDs that I have duplictes of and Blu-Ray's of currently or purchasing in the future. I ended up just getting store credit, and used the store credit to purchase 3 Blu-Rays: The Howling, Lifeforce, and Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except. I will probably sell the rest of the ones that I'm selling to Vintage Stock and do store credit. There are a few Blu-Ray's coming up that I'm wanting to purchase, that will be one's that I have on DVD that I'm selling. The next 3 1/2 months is going to be busy for Blu-Ray's.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #29
dave13
HackMaster

I find comedies have very little rewatchability, personally. in my collection of over 1000 titles, I'd be surprised if I own 10. I love when people come over to watch movies, but when I ask them what they want to see and they say "Oh, I dunno...something funny!" I'm always forced to just stare blankly back at them.

so yeah, i'd probably ditch the comedies. minus My Cousin Vinny, The Naked Gun, and Airplane!, of course.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #30
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

I might be making a big move pretty soon so I too am faced with the idea of ditching a good portion of my collection. The first ones to go are ones I double dipped on and no longer use the older edition. The second ones are movies that somehow ended up in my collection that shouldn't have (like Not Another Teen Movie.... yeah).

The thing is that it is a "collection" and I feel bad about ditching them.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote