Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 07-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Shawn Francis
Maniac

Upcoming Friday The 13th Blu-Rays, DVDs & Boxset From Paramount

FRIDAYTHE13THFILMS.COM: So we know a bastard cropped reissue of the reboot is coming from New Line’s home division but over in Paramount land plans are afoot to drop a stack of Friday the 13th releases onto the market on October 4. Now obviously you know that Paramount will almost always disappoint you, so no never-on-blu-ray releases. Let’s take a look at what they are pooping out, then.

Friday the 13th DVD Collection
Amazon have no information on this – but DVD Empire have more, including a fair price of $37. The proper name is Friday The 13th: 2011 DVD Collection – Limited Edition Gift Set and the product item page gives a description. Neither site list a number of discs, presently.

Return to Crystal Lake like never before with Friday the 13th Kill. . .Kill. . . Kill. . . Collection Limited Edition DVD box set. They’re all here: from the first Friday the 13th: Uncut to Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan. Re-experience the terror and the gore from the exhaulted executioner who never dies in this definitive collection of all 8 of the Friday the 13th films.

Okay, that’s not too shabby. The From Crystal Lake To Manhattan boxset from 2004 is out of print so this would collect the Deluxe Editions into one set. And that will be handy for those that don’t have ‘em, especially considering some of the later entries are now scarce themselves.

Friday the 13th Blu-ray & Friday the 13th DVD
The 1980 original will be back on the market in what is presumably a reissue. Can we get some better cover art then the Deluxe Edition, Paramount? Although it looked certifiably badass, the killer on the cover looked like they were wearing black leather. And I don’t know about you but the thought of Mrs Voorhees all leathered up makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Oh okay, and a little turned on.

Friday the 13th Part 3 Blu-ray & Friday the 13th Part 3 DVD
Hopefully it’s just Amazon’s lazy, inaccurate placeholder details but they are listing the ratio for these as 1.85:1 when the previous releases were 2.35:1 which was what the film was shot in. If it carries through with a cropped 1.85:1 ratio, I don’t have to tell you why that’s a bad thing for purists. In an ideal world Paramount would use these re-releases to offer up a better 3D print. The existing one was lambasted.

Friday the 13th Deluxe Edition Four-Pack
Coming earlier than the others on September 20, this will contain the first four Deluxe Edition DVDs. It’s a simple enough dumping of old stock. Of minor note, DVD Empire already stock a blu-ray version of that upcoming set, calledFriday the 13th: 4 Movie Collection. It’s part of a Paramount Blu-ray sale and is listed as having only 1 Disc. While I would love to report that Paramount just discreetly dropped Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter onto the Blu-ray format, there’s evidence on that page to suggest it is a glitch on DVD Empire’s part and the release is actually just the first film with an incorrect product title.

When will Paramount learn? Maybe after they’re done whoring Star Trek, their “respectable” genre franchise. Anyhow, someone must have fucked up by letting some of those Deluxe Editions turn out so good! Think we’ll get parts 4-8 on Blu-ray before there’s another format jump? Let us pray.
Shawn Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I never bought the Deluxe Editions since I'd already bought the singles and then the box set...but if they collect all of the DEs in one cheap set, I'll probably cave. Then again, I haven't gone hi-def yet either so I'll have to buy the whole series AGAIN at that point.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
DVDBone
Stalker

Here are the details on the new boxset that I posted in another thread earlier in the week ...

Speaking of Friday the 13th, Paramount just announced a new boxset of the 8 DVD special editions due out on 10/4. Each boxset is individually numbered (out of 50,000 units) and includes a replica mask and 8 page booklet. If only it were a Blu-Ray set ...
DVDBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
Matt89
HackMaster

I got all excited for a second, now I'm just pissed.

~Matt
Old 07-23-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
tropical marsh
Stalker

Regarding a reissue of the 2009 F13: I cannot imagine New Line/WB putting out another version of F13 with a fucked up aspect ratio--it makes no sense at all. More than likely, it's a reissue of the same disc, but without the digital copy.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Where's the bluray box set?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Horrorphilly
Maniac

Just keep rehashing the disc's we have already.Why not put 4 through JTM on BD??? That doesnt make any sense to them.

Sean

Last edited by Horrorphilly; 07-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Horrorphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorphilly View Post
Just keep rehashing the disc's we have already.Why not put 4 and JTM on BD??? That doesnt make any sense to them.

Sean
Why not release a blu box set. I'd buy that straight away.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
dickieduvet
Maniac

More Paramount bullshit, Yeah I appreciate that they released 1-3 on BD but come on...Where the fuck is part IV..It's been over 2 years since Part III was put out.
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
Zillamon51
Maniac

I bought the original DVD releases (some w/ original cover art!) of parts 1 - 4 as they were released.

Then I bought the CLTM box set.

I skipped the DE DVDs, and picked up parts 1 - 3 Blu-rays ON SALE FOR CHEAP this past Halloween.

I have no intention of buying any more Paramount F13 movies until either a Blu-ray box set comes out, or I can get parts 4 - 8 on Blu individually ON SALE FOR CHEAP.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
buck135
The Duke of New York

Well, here is the box set we all have been looking for. Except it's not being released on Blu-ray. Paramount strikes again.

http://www.horrorbid.com/forum/viewt...?f=257&t=15642
Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
dave13
HackMaster

and it's only $40 CAD? that's a pretty sweet price, even if the very concept of this box is insulting. i won't bite, though. i swore i'd wait for the blu rays (fuck a box set, i just want individual discs), and im gonna stick to that. if this had come out 5 years ago, though...
dave13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I really like the packaging featuring the ORIGINAL title font. I'll bite.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Fuckin Paramount. They're not getting another dime from me until they release 4-8 on blu-ray.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Grim
HackMaster

Would it cost THAT much more to release these on blu-ray? I'm sure some fans will buy the DVD set, but 50,000? Probably not. They could have done half on DVD and half on blu-ray and they might sell them all. As it stands, I doubt they will sell them all and they will probably use this as an excuse not to release these on blu-ray because there isn't enough "demand", when they consistently ignore what the fans want and would gladly drop the cash down for.