Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
BloodMan
Kill Time B4 It Kills You

It was pretty good... a tiny bit cheesy, but damn well better than what most "horror" films can pull off nowadays! Farmiga rules, as does Wilson!!!

If I Don't Have The Right To Torture You, Why Then Do You Have The Right To Torture Me By Taking Away The Pleasure That I Could Get From Torturing You?

Remember, one cannot make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on their butt, and who wants to leave butt prints in the sands of time?
BloodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
soxfan666
Maniac

Just got back and I loved it. I am a huge fan of Insidious and I put this right there with it. My hair was on end for much of the movie. James Wan did a great job with the pacing and filming of the story. The camera follow shot during move in day was spectacular as was his framing during the tense haunting scenes. He has put together a hell of a resume and may be the premiere horror director going right now!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Great poster design - very creepy. Will definitely check this out.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #19
Ash28M
HackMaster

Just got back from seeing it and I'm afraid after all the hype I've been hearing, it was just OK to good. I thought maybe it was just because I started getting tired half way through but the 3 people I went with all came away with the same reaction. No where near as good or as fun as Insidious. Upon first Viewing, I would rank it a notch below Sinister.

Last edited by Ash28M; 07-22-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Ash28M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Uh-oh. Considering how much I disliked INSIDIOUS, I should probably just wait for video.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Just came back from a screening - it was very good. Slow-burn and scary, reminiscent of Amityville Horror. Might sleep with the lights on tonight :-)
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I really want to see it, but I think I'll wait until the crowds die down. Or I'll wait for blu-ray, and watch it home alone in the middle of the night for maximum effect.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #23
othervoice1
HackMaster

Appears it had a very solid weekend:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...debut_of_2013/
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #24
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
Uh-oh. Considering how much I disliked INSIDIOUS
You too? I thought I was the only one who hated that film

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Anaestheus
HackMaster

I really liked this. It's not a classic film and I can easily think of a lot of films that I thought were scarier. But, it is really well made. Really really well made. The story is solid and well handled. The characters are written and performed really well. They are all very unique and fleshed out and there's really not a single one that wasn't likeable and that really helps to build the sense of menace. Violence may be kept to a minimum, but there is still a good sense of brutality and threat. And in the end, the whole thing was just really classy. In tone, it came across as a modern version of The Changeling. Not similar in the story, but very similar in the approach or in the guiding sensibility.

I found the first half hour a bit annoying. There were a lot of jump scares with suddenly shocking music stings and it started to wear on me. But, once the film settled down and shifted its gears to really get into the story, the filmmakers let the atmosphere and tension build up and work in some really solid image based scares and I really appreciated that.

I think the only complaint that I can muster is that the film lacked depth. For all the good work that went into it, it ends up being an extremely fun thrill ride, but there's not a lot of meat underneath it. And for all the thrills and shocks, it didn't really get under my skin the way some of the best horror films do.

And, while I will say again that I didn't find it that scary, I also have to add that I have never heard any audience scream as much or as loud as I heard during this film. I could even hear some guys crying out at times. It was pretty impressive and it made me really glad that I saw it in the theater.

My final note of appreciation is a bit of a spoiler so
Spoiler:
Other than in back stories, no one dies in the film. And, I have to say that I thought it was pretty impressive that the film could maintain all that intensity and still have everyone live

And I'll add that I certainly liked it a lot more than Insidious. I enjoyed the first half of that one, but felt that it really fell apart in the latter half. Conjuring goes the opposite for me. Didn't care much for the beginning, but they really piled on the intensity for the final act.

Last edited by Anaestheus; 07-22-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #26
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Well the first twenty minutes had me wondering what the heck all the hype was about but then it quickly turned into a classic haunting/possession film that harkens back to the films I love such as The Haunting, Amityville I&II and many others.
By classic I mean I'd certainly seen this all before in other films but this one was executed with style and panache absent from most contemporary horror offerings. Most importantly it's gimmick free-no effort made to shove a new horror icon down our throats, I'm looking at you Darth Maul/Insidious dude and what I appreciated equally was the total absence of humor.
Compelling characters, great acting and thankfully no CGI overload in the vein of Mama, though I did like that film as well.
I was impressed by the level of psychological horror and the eschewing of cheap gags and effects. The last twenty minutes were incredibly harrowing.
This is easily the film of the year for me, not that it's perfect by any means, but it is the most fun I've had at a horror film in many years.
'Haunting' films are my favorite horror sub-genre, so this one is definitely in my top 10 list now rubbing shoulders with Burnt Offerings, The Amityville Horror, Sinister and many others.

Last edited by Anthropophagus; 07-26-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #27
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
You too? I thought I was the only one who hated that film
It was awful, right? I thought I was alone on this as well.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #28
cjg
Maniac

Just got back from seeing it, not that impressed.
cjg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #29
Mattapooh
Maniac

Loved it, it was very scary and well-made from top to bottom.

Not only that, how awesome is it to see a new horror movie that features ADULTS as the main characters?
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #30
shape22
HackMaster

I found this to be a step down from Insidious. It's so similar that I felt a serious sense of deja vu--and not in a good way.

Both films really fall off the cliff in the third act. Wan just doesn't know when to stop. I thought Insidious got off to a great start before it went off the rails with the goofy tonal shift. But I found the last third of The Conjuring even less appealing. It completely disintegrates into noisy special effects overdrive. The best ghost stories don't over-do it. The end of The Conjuring is like a WWF version of The Legend of Hell House or The Changeling. It was way too manic and overwrought for my liking.

In the end I don't think either film is very good. But Insidious has the better boo scares--which seem to be Wan's specialty. Nothing in The Conjuring is as effective as that face in the window. And Insidious seems to unfold a little more naturally. The Conjuring ultimately tries a little too hard for my liking. There's no doubt that it's a more tonally consistent work than Insidious. But it seems like an extension of the same material, themes, and techniques. I found them all less effective the 2nd time around. And although I didn't think it was possible The Conjuring offers up an ending that's even more hokey and unsatisfying.

Maybe Ti West can teach this guy some restraint.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote