Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #31
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it. One of my favorite movies I've seen this year. If it's not my favorite James Wan film then it's tied with Insidious. Hard for me to choose. I'd be down for a series of "Warren Files" films, which considering how great this did at the box office is a no-brainer. Makes more sense story-wise than a sequel to Insidious (which I will see, just not very excited about it).
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
I found this to be a step down from Insidious. It's so similar that I felt a serious sense of deja vu--and not in a good way.

Both films really fall off the cliff in the third act. Wan just doesn't know when to stop. I thought Insidious got off to a great start before it went off the rails with the goofy tonal shift. But I found the last third of The Conjuring even less appealing. It completely disintegrates into noisy special effects overdrive. The best ghost stories don't over-do it. The end of The Conjuring is like a WWF version of The Legend of Hell House or The Changeling. It was way too manic and overwrought for my liking.

In the end I don't think either film is very good. But Insidious has the better boo scares--which seem to be Wan's specialty. Nothing in The Conjuring is as effective as that face in the window. And Insidious seems to unfold a little more naturally. The Conjuring ultimately tries a little too hard for my liking. There's no doubt that it's a more tonally consistent work than Insidious. But it seems like an extension of the same material, themes, and techniques. I found them all less effective the 2nd time around. And although I didn't think it was possible The Conjuring offers up an ending that's even more hokey and unsatisfying.

Maybe Ti West can teach this guy some restraint.
I agree with you 100%. I don't get all the love Wan's movies are getting. He seems to combine elements of older horror films (The Changeling, Amityville Horror) and then mix them with more recent horror films (The Sixth Sense, Stir of Echoes).
Spoiler:
For instance, when Lorraine is doing the laundry and the one bedsheet catches wind, looks like a spector is beneath it and then flies up to a window to show a woman --- I thought this scene was great. However, when we see the dead maid pointing her wrists out at the screen saying "she made me do it" it just feels like a bad modern horror film.
The two styles just don't jive for my tastes and it releases all the good tension he builds up. He shows the ghosts way too much - quick glimpses are always far more effective imo if you have to show them at all.
Spoiler:
The hands that came out of the closet and clapped - didn't seem scary to me but just looked silly. When the girl's leg was being grabbed and she was dragged down was pretty creepy but then when her sister is being drug around by her hair it just seemed funny since it was so over the top. All the birds that flocked at the car in the end really made me roll my eyes.
For a ghost story or haunted house film, less for me is always more. The only time I think over the top worked really well was Poltergeist and even in that movie, you don't really see ghosts hanging around whining that Kane made them do it or standing around in The Further () with twitchy blinking eyes. Or Wan should make his ghosts like in The Shining when they seem like normal people but they really are not. But putting them in bad Halloween make-up and having them play to the camera is just not very effective imo and takes me out of the movie.

If he learned restraint and really built on his old-school style till the climax, I think I would love a movie by him. But until then, it just feels like a bad clash of styles.

Last edited by deepred; 08-06-2013 at 04:13 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #33
shape22
HackMaster

We are completely on the same page about this one deepred. At one point there's so much stuff flying around that I expected to see Leslie Nielsen float through the frame sideways and give us a big wink. It seemed like a parody of Poltergeist at that point.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #34
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

DVD and Blu-Ray out on October 22.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #35
hellraiser40
Maniac

just came back from the theatres to see this, it felt like the weaker brother of Insidious, a couple of "BOO" scares were effective and again they try to creat suspense but too many scenes felt phoned in, too many scenes were overscored too and, like in Insidious, the main bad guy felt overdone and not scary at all
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #36
Mok
HackMaster

I think this one is Wan's best (I'd have to re-watch the original SAW to be sure, but I'm pretty sure). Far better than Insidious. Vera Farmiga is highly underrated and is the best part of this movie. There was also some great cinematography going on. However I have to agree with the comments about the third act. A little too much shit going on. But not enough to ruin it.

By the way, here is the original Anabelle doll
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #37
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Blu-ray.com reviews The Conjuring: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Co.../71219/#Review
satans-sadists is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #38
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Great film, that cover art is terrible though.

Last edited by Anthropophagus; 10-17-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Great film, that covert art is terrible though.
Agreed. It's even worse than the cover for Insidious. The dvd of The Conjuring has a different cover that is certainly better.
satans-sadists is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #40
Matt89
HackMaster

The Canadian cover is much better than the US one.

~Matt
Old 10-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #41
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I saw a really creepy looking one of the house with a noose in the foreground a while back, they should have used that one.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #42
Ash28M
HackMaster

Checked this out for the second time tonight and my opinion on it remains the same. It's just OK. Nothing about it really elevates it above its safe and derivative story line. A bunch of predictable jump scares, forgettable characters and a ho hum story. Insidious just felt way much more fresh and fun to me.

I think i'm starting to see a pattern with me and modern horror. The more the Main stream seems to like it, the less I seem to.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #43
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I too rewatched it yesterday.

It's still fantastic to me, still packs a punch. The acting was a great as I remembered, as was the direction/cinematography AND the music score & sound design is excellent.
Damn I just love this movie.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition

Last edited by vampyr789; 10-28-2013 at 03:16 AM.
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #44
buck135
The Duke of New York

I really likes this film. It scared the hell out of my wife which was entertaining in and of itself. Looking forward to the eventual sequel.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #45
othervoice1
HackMaster

The UK Steelbook edition looks great - just do not know what region it will be (although it is listed as region B)

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-con.../10837105.html
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote