Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
thing
Maniac

Pacific Rim (2013)

Pacific Rim(2013)

Directed by Guillermo del Toro

5/10

The first part of the film is clips set to narration that nicely gets us up to speed without taking us some overblown and un-needed origin story. The basic premise sees a war between humankind and monstrous sea creatures waging on when a former pilot and a trainee are paired up to drive a seemingly obsolete special weapon in a desperate effort to save the world from the apocalypse.

The film itself has a familiar story and structure, adequate acting of mostly paper thin characters in a tonally mixed effort that goes from serious to goofy often in the same scene. All that aside, what most will take from it are the special effects and action sequences which are often next level. The action sequences that have been constricted show Michael Bay what could and should be done with action and especially action with large robots. It keeps the action in longer takes with a lot of whats going on kept inside the frame. You get to see and feel the weight of what is happening with no confusion about what is taking place. The dull story and characters luckily have these segues to epic action and settings to keep it from being a total bust but the poor score and terrible creature design doesn't help proceedings and neither do the leaps in logic or science (but those are somewhat forgivable given the tone).

However, if you want to shut your brain off and enjoy some sweeping action with top notch effects in a film that won't morally insult you like a Michael Bay 'adventure' then this will give you a good enough time. A few hours after seeing it I can tell you it has not stayed with me much and have no desire to see it again but I had fun enough at the time I guess. Also despite what others may be saying, there is no real need to see this in 3D, there is plenty of money in the screen that 3D doesn't add anything and is nothing bit distracting.

Last edited by thing; 07-21-2014 at 05:38 AM.
thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I will go see it. I have not been to the picture show since I saw The King's Speech a few years ago.
There is a LOT of eye-rolling action in the trailer for me - stuff that I just get annoyed by:
the fist/palm let's-get-ready-to-rumble motion, that video game leap ending in a landing punch, "we're cancelling the apocalypse!!" (way too ID4) and the usual cgi-monster-roars-directly-into-the-camera shots.
Also sick of the "lost loved one" that gets the characters a real personal beef with the monsters - so overdone in movies!
Other than the busy-looking night battles I cannot wait to see it. I have seen NONE of the directors other films yet. Looking forward to it. Love giant monsters!
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
I have seen NONE of the directors other films yet.
Wow. You may be missing out on something there. The guy is quite a talent. Even if you don't like Pacific Rim, don't let it sway you from taking a look at the rest of his work, particularly his Spanish films.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Yeah - I took his vision for granted that I never got around to seeing anything by him yet. I kept telling everyone I'll have to see this or that. I have "Hellboy" saved on Netflix at the moment.
I can't wait to see Pacific Rim but gosh - the maketing is so...ordinary! Also - did they sneak in a shot from the Clash of the Titans remake or is that Kraken in the film also as an homage??????
Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I saw this last night and loved it. Such an awesome popcorn flick with very well done effects. It's not without its issues but hey, it's better than Transformers! I'm hoping they do another one sometime down the line.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Zillamon51
Maniac

I saw this last night. Both my GF and I enjoyed it a lot. The effects are very well done, with the CGI doing a good job of conveying the enormous weight and mass of the giant combatants. It's very well paced; the two hours flew by w/ plenty of action. We saw it in Imax 3-D, and it made good use of that format.

Kaiju fans will notice some familiar design elements in some of the monsters, and fittingly the film is dedicated to the memories of Ray Harryhausen and Ishiro Honda. There is also one short additional scene during the end credits.
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillamon51 View Post
The effects are very well done, with the CGI doing a good job of conveying the enormous weight and mass of the giant combatants.
That's cool - some shots in the trailers make them look kinda light and too agile for something that size.
Can't wait to see it - now the trouble is choosing a movie theater in San Francisco with the least amount of drama/baggage/annoying people...
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
X-human
I ate my keys

I went to the IMAX 3D showing dead center and it was pretty damn good. I like a lot of Del Torro's other stuff much better but from a list of summer blockbusters this would go high up there. The Charlie Day, Burn Gorman and Ron Perlman scenes were what really held this all together for me. It would have been taking itself a little bit too seriously without them in there.

The audience was really into it too with lots of cheers during the battles and Ron Perlman. Not sure how it'll play with other audiences but the opening night crowd was of course raring to go for this flix.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
thing
Maniac

The goofy stuff you liked is what annoyed me most
Old 07-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
russweiss
Maniac

I really enjoyed all the kaiju fights but just couldn't care about any of the human characters. I didn't watch it in 3D but can't imagine that would have made my experience much better.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #11
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
I really enjoyed all the kaiju fights but just couldn't care about any of the human characters. I didn't watch it in 3D but can't imagine that would have made my experience much better.
I agree. I thought most of the character stuff could have been shortened. All I wanted to see were the monsters and robots. There was at least one point in the film where I felt I was waiting too long to see some more action. Loved the scenes with the scientist though, they kept the tone fun.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Anaestheus
HackMaster

It was pretty much what I expected and I'm all the happier for that. My only real complaint is that I felt the the fight in the middle was far more exciting than anything that happened in the climax.

Yeah, it's not high art. The characters are weak. The dialogue is cliche. But, the action is excellent and more importantly, it had that sense of "fun" that has been lacking in most of the other summer movies that I have seen.

This is one of those rare movies that I really think could benefit from a sequel that is allowed to spend less time explaining the world and more time being bigger.

But, of course, the greatest hope is that this one makes enough money to finally allow Del Toro to make Mountains of Madness.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
X-human
I ate my keys

If there's enough interest in a sequel hopefully it'll be like Hellboy 2 which is many magnitudes better then the first Hellboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
The goofy stuff you liked is what annoyed me most
Eh, I wouldn't say it was "goofy" so much as black humor. I'm not a fan of Charlie Day and dislike It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia but he played off Ron Perlman and Burn Gorman well enough. There were a lot of jokes about the grotesque and general mad science to keep a horror fan like me happy.

Without these scenes I think it would have gotten very monotonous after awhile since none of the leads were anything worth writing home about (besides the flashbacks to Mako's traumatic childhood).

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
If there's enough interest in a sequel hopefully it'll be like Hellboy 2 which is many magnitudes better then the first Hellboy.

Eh, I wouldn't say it was "goofy" so much as black humor. I'm not a fan of Charlie Day and dislike It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia but he played off Ron Perlman and Burn Gorman well enough. There were a lot of jokes about the grotesque and general mad science to keep a horror fan like me happy.

Without these scenes I think it would have gotten very monotonous after awhile since none of the leads were anything worth writing home about (besides the flashbacks to Mako's traumatic childhood).
I didnt see any black humour with the scientists, they were just straight up goofy, especially when they first turned up, they seemed so out of place in the film. They were ramped up to 10.
The little girl did the best acting in the film indeed.

edit
WOAH, just saw the box office, Pac Rim bombed

Last edited by thing; 07-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.
thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 AM   #15
msw7
Morso a morte

I saw this last night and just couldn't like it at all.

I think my biggest problem though was with the apparent military strategy: Earth is being invaded by giant monsters, and the best strategy is to use cutting edge, mind-bending (literally) advanced technology to build a giant robot so you can punch the monsters right in their fucking faces. Yeah! What?

I couldn't turn my brain off quite that much. The narration also bothered me, and I didn't really like any of the characters. And for what it was, most of the fights went by too quickly. I mean, if you're going to the WWF for military advice, at least drag out the fights a bit longer.

I agree with the point about the scientists being goofy, even rising to the level of an offensive stereotype, but it was nice to see Charlie Day still working (that was maybe the only positive thing about this movie for me, other than the effects being generally pretty well done).
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote