Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
spawningblue
Deadite

I haven't seen Curtains but have wanted to and have heard very good things. Glad to see that my first viewing will be an excellent looking Blu, and not a crappy VHS transfer.

As for Prom Night, I never really liked it. But for our first episode of our podcast, my friend and I decided to give it another shot, along with the rest of the series for the first time. And I have to say, I loved it this time around. No, the gore and kills are nothing to talk about but the story, characters, ect. all make it something special! And of course that dance scene! Actually, other then the remake, I found a lot to like in all of the films in the series. Either way, I am pumped for this release and hopefully part 2 will follow soon after!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #32
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

From Facebook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse-Films
Today is the day we start scanning the negative for PROM NIGHT, after some test were done! I'm still worried about the splices and repairs that were performed but let's hope with PROM NIGHT that "everything IS alright!" (oooh, sorry for that horrible pun, but I just had my coffee)

zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #33
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Now, if they can only include the soundtrack...

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #34
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I officially LOVE Synapse Films

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #35
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

I feel stupid for not knowing this, but when a film is scanned from the camera negative for a restoration, how do they get titles, credits, and other post-production elements into the final product without redoing them?

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #36
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfuck View Post
I feel stupid for not knowing this, but when a film is scanned from the camera negative for a restoration, how do they get titles, credits, and other post-production elements into the final product without redoing them?
Curious about that too. Also how do they know how each scene is meant to be framed?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #37
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

I think "original camera negative" can be a little bit of a misnomer, depending on the film, because in some movies there will be quite a few parts where the negative will be made up of bits of film that are not necessarily straight out of the camera. I'm talking especially about special effects films. If you were to look at the negative of something like STAR WARS (what's left of it) where there are a ton of special effects shots created through optical processes, and it would be the master copy of those effects shots that gets spliced into the negative.

With credits I'm not entirely sure how the industry standard has developed so I don't want to speculate on it, but one of the big issues that you have with getting post-production elements into a transfer is the color. Because when a film comes out of the camera it can look very different than it ends up looking once it gets to theaters, lighting will be inconsistent, some shots will be too dark, some too bright, some too yellow or too red or too undersaturated. Oftentimes the look of a particular movie will be created in post through the process of color timing. But color timing cannot be applied to the negative itself, it is applied when intermediate elements are created, so if you scan a film's negative you can run into problems trying to recreate the original look. And a lot of controversies in recent years - I'm thinking especially of Twilight Time's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990) - have been caused by people who either didn't know what the original look of a title should be or who didn't care to recreate it.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #38
startide
Stalker

My god that grain is heavy! Jeesus. Just WTF do you do to that without stripping it all away (assuming that is even possible!)?

I have a response to my FB post from Synapse in my inbox. I can't quite bring myself to open it though. The thing is, to offer up my collection is one thing. It's quite another to find it though!!! (I just moved a few weeks ago and it wasn't organised to start with... And now is the time to tell you that I am a serious hoarder. Not quite TV worthy - I'm not a level 5, waist level filth and dead animals "hoarder", more a level 2 "stuff" hoarder.)

Impetus much?
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #39
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Smallish update from Facebook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse Films
Quote:
When can we purchase Prom Night?
When it's done, would be the simple answer, I guess. The extras/supplements aren't due until January from Red Shirt Pictures, and we haven't even finished the transfer or mix yet, as I haven't been able to get out to LA to finish the work.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...al_comments=17

I have a feeling the same is more or less true of Curtains.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #40
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Look, Synapse likes to take their time with their stuff, which is cool. Personally, I would rather them not announce street dates (or even an approximate time frame) because, well, they're never on target. Nothing annoys me more than missed street dates, especially prolonged ones. Curtains/Prom Night is coming sometime in 2014. There, isn't that better?
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #41
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Yes, it is good Synapse takes time with their projects. I can't wait, though. Thing is - PROM NIGHT was a really "foggy" looking film when I saw it at the cinema. CURTAINS was also very fuzzy looking film at the theaters. I'm hoping the transfers stay true to that look without coming under fire from buyers thinking they have an inferior product.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #42
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I can't wait

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #43
Christy
Victim

I guess I will echo what has already been said I can't wait.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #44
Stige
HackMaster

bonus features for Prom Night, who would have thought, I'll just give synapse my card number and let them charge whatever it takes
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:10 AM   #45
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse Films
Found some outtakes from PROM NIGHT in the vault. We'll have to see what's all in there!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Quote:
Annnnnd.... ACTION!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater