Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Should they have made Michael and Laurie related?
YES, family matters. 18 33.96%
NO, that shit was dumb. 35 66.04%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
deepred
Maniac

HALLOWEEN II: Should they have made Michael and Laurie related?

Curious to see how the results will turn out for this poll. I know a lot of fans of the original hated that they made them siblings in part 2.

I personally thought the idea of a family member that you were not even aware of, suddenly popping into your life and being determined to kill you pretty freaky.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Making them related does, in my opinion, take away from the randomness of his motives, or lack thereof. Being just an evil force with no explanation or motivation does make the events that much more discomforting and unsettling. The whole idea of the movie is that there is evil out there in the world and anyone and everyone is susceptible to it. No one is immune. The sequel takes that element away. Halloween, by itself, is a perfect horror film. Carpenter has admitted to sitting in front of the typewriter for days wondering where the hell he was going to take the story because he had zero intentions of doing a sequel, but money talks I guess.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 07-20-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Mikey Horror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I kinda liked the idea of making them related. Seems perfect IMO.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
deepred
Maniac

I just think it's scary to be related to the creep that is the unspeakable force of evil and he's coming after you. No one can save you and if you are in the way, you will be destroyed. I don't think him going after his sister changes how evil he is. What really is his motive to kill off his family? Especially when his family was normal. He really doesn't have a motive. It's still very random.

Obviously, the series would have been a lot different had it turned into Michael killing random people.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
rhett

I agree that it is scarier that this masked man just started killing everyone on your block, but I also think the sequels are stronger with that familial connection. How could you even bring Jamie Lee back for future movies if Myers has no real reason to follow her anywhere?

I think for the sequels, the brother-sister thing works, and is probably essential. I always just watch the first film forgetting they are related, since that's the way it was when it came out. Best of both worlds.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
deepred
Maniac

Good points, rhett!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
rhett

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
Good points, rhett!
Also, my favorite sequels are 5 & 4, and a big part of that is Danielle Harris and the anguish she has losing her mother (JLC) and being Michael's niece. You'd lose such a big emotional dynamic if that were removed.

If there's one thing the series should have been without, it is the whole Thorne/Man in Black thing. I'd have taken Michael in space before that.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
deepred
Maniac

Yeah, the Thorn/Man in Black stuff was pretty awful.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
maybrick
HackMaster

I think that it was a dumb move, and way too similar to the then recent release of Empire Strikes Back. If you watch the first film you really get the impression that this could happen to anybody, and at the end of the film when he escapes and you see the shots of city streets and hear his breath you could easily get the impression that you are next. But making Jamie Lee his sister creates too much rationale behind his motivation. (He'd never come after me when I leave the theater because he isn't my brother.)

But the Thorn Cult idea... it wasn't handled well but I still kind of like it. It creates a pagan link to Silver Shamrock from Season of the Witch.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #10
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
I agree that it is scarier that this masked man just started killing everyone on your block, but I also think the sequels are stronger with that familial connection. How could you even bring Jamie Lee back for future movies if Myers has no real reason to follow her anywhere?
The way I've always interpreted Micheal's motivation is that if he sees somebody, or if they see him, then he HAS to kill them. Laurie goes to the Myers house to drop off a key, Michael sees her and then proceeds to follow her. He meets other people along the way, like Tommy, but Laurie is the first person he sees and so he's always the first target on his list. The other people he sees he will come back to later after she is dead.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
ronnie21
HackMaster

naw. they totally bit off the empire strikes back with the luke father thing,,, just would have been more creepier if they were strangers. and he staked her cause she got away in the first one...
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Since Michael is re-enacting his first kill, it makes perfect sense. Even in the first one, Laurie seemed to be the primary target. The Curse of Thorn, on the other hand, doesn't work too well - a bit too retconned.

Last edited by Kim Bruun; 09-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post

I think for the sequels, the brother-sister thing works, and is probably essential. I always just watch the first film forgetting they are related, since that's the way it was when it came out. Best of both worlds.
I strongly disagree with all of this. Michael made a strong connection with Laurie because he spent so much time stalking her. Why? Who knows. Maybe she reminded him of his sister. Maybe it was the random act of her going to his house. Both of those reasons work just as well for me--without adding baggage that would paint the future of the franchise into a corner.

Myers has been the subject of a lot of graphic novels. I haven't read all of them. But the ones I've read all offered much better stories than Carpenter's HII script. Most of them revolve around Michael's impact on the town of Haddonfield--and the way he casts a shadow of fear over the town. I think this would have been a much better way to go with the sequels.

Carpenter himself has repeatedly admitted that the sister idea was born of writer's block and creative desperation. Pure evil doesn't need motivation or justification. I'm 100% against the family connection. It took away the feeling that you could wind up in Laurie's situation by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
I'm 100% against the family connection. It took away the feeling that you could wind up in Laurie's situation by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Of course it doesn't. Most of the victims in the series ARE in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also, with Michael coming after Laurie, there's a sins-of-the-father thing going on. Michael just pops up like some dark secret from her past that she herself had no knowledge of or active part in. That's pretty disturbing, I think.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I thought the family angle was pretty cool at the time...but I was 9 years old so there you have it. I've cooled to the notion since and agree that a random killer is much more frightening; it makes me crazy now when everyone tried to backtrack and pick apart a killer's origins. Leatherface, Dr. Lecter, Michael Myers...they totally lose their power when you try to give them a rational reason.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is online now   Reply With Quote