House of the Dead 3 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #16
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Come on you have to admit '95 was weak.

...Demon Knight? ...Lord of Illusions? ...Demon fucking Knight!?!?
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

High Tension
A Tale Of Two Sisters
Beyond Re-Animator
Freddy Vs Jason
House Of 1000 Corpses

You know it's a shitty year when you're forced to pick a Rob Zombie movie...

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
I know many hate the ending of Haute Tension but how could anyone hate the entire film.
The movie dies the minute the girls show up. They are airheads. I watched the full-length, uncut, French version in French with English subtitles and there isn't a single thing to like about these characters. They are idiots. Somehow, we're supposed to keep watching this movie with these stupid girls. While waiting for the film to tell me why, we see one watch the other shower and then go masturbate. This is childish self-service by a bad filmmaker. And I'm still waiting for that reason we're watching this film. Because it might not matter how pointlessly stupid the characters are except the film is set very starkly, trying to get you to pay attention and I detected no real style, no visual flair, no great atmosphere, no great music. Which means Aja is playing it straight so he can call it a mindfuck when it's over and a thriller while it's going. Then we watch a guy come in and start killing a bunch of people we don't know while the camera shakes and we keep cutting to the butch lesbian who isn't fooling anyone jumping around like she's doing the worst exercise routine on the planet in another room. If there was any tension during this sequence, it was killed by the bad acting. And the unbelievably clichéd look of the killer. And the lack of giving a single fuck about anything.

You cannot just set-up a stark look and expect people to sit still and take it seriously when you put nothing into it. But a little gore. I am frankly flabbergasted so many people thought it wasn't crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post

...Demon Knight? ...Lord of Illusions? ...Demon fucking Knight!?!?
Bordello of Blood was better.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #19
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Bordello of Blood was better.
i can only conclude that you watched a different pair of films than i did.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I could conclude a lot of things. (Maybe you saw them only once. Maybe it's been a decade since you revisited them. Maybe you're more forgiving of lame special effects than I am.)

But Bordello of Blood is still better.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
I could conclude a lot of things. (Maybe you saw them only once. Maybe it's been a decade since you revisited them. Maybe you're more forgiving of lame special effects than I am.)

But Bordello of Blood is still better.
You're more or less correct. I've seen Demon Knight many times, but Bordello only...twice? I think. It may very well have been a decade since I saw Bordello, and probably 5 or 6 years since I saw Demon Knight. And yes, I couldn't really care less if special effects are lame or not. The Transformers films have amazing special effects - the point being that it doesn't really say anything about a film's quality, one way or the other, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't go into a lengthy dissertation on what Bordello's strengths and weaknesses are. To be honest, considering the question was about the quality of horror films made in 1995 (despite this being the 2003 thread), I'm a little confused as to why you brought up Bordello in the first place. Unless it was just to be confrontational.

Regardless, I remember not caring for Bordello as much as Demon Knight when I first saw it. I rewatched it in university to see if my feelings had changed, and they hadn't. My limited memory is that it was trying to be funnier than Demon Knight was, but that the jokes weren't particularly successful. That Dennis Millar wasn't particularly funny or likable. And that Erica Eleniak and Corey Feldman just weren't that entertaining or compelling to watch. Angie Everhart, on the other hand, I recall liking. It's not that I think the movie is terrible, just a disappointment after Demon Knight.

Now again, I can't cite chapter and verse to give you concrete examples for any of this, but that's what I remember thinking. Also, beyond what the title conveys, I can recall precious little about what the story was in Bordello. Demon Knight, on the other hand, had a story that I really enjoyed. The plot was structured well, there were plenty of surprises built into it, and I loved how it progressively escalated the stakes. First it was one guy chasing the other, then it was a siege on a hotel full of people, and then it became a battle for the future of the human race. I also liked the scope of the story, how it tied in references to the first world war, and the whole revisionist Christianity angle (before The Davinci code put that in vogue). It also had great actors playing great characters - William Sadler, Jada Pinkett, Billy Zane, Thomas Haden Church, CCH Pounder. And Dick Miller, for Christ's sake! That's a fantastic cast. And there were really well-established relationships between the characters as well. Allegiances, old grudges, double-crosses, fatal flaws, corruption, betrayal...it just had a lot of interesting dynamics going on. It had a great soundtrack, too (one of the first CDs I ever bought, and one of the few I've still held on to). It's just a really enjoyable movie. From 1995.

Last edited by dave13; 07-26-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
rhett

A lot of good horror here, and from a lot of different sub-genres and countries, that's when you know the genre was thriving.

My picks:

High Tension (might be my favorite horror film this decade - just adore the style, gore, performances and throwback to the slashers of yore. Shame Aja hasn't really lived up to his debut)
Freddy vs. Jason (still seemed too good to be true when I sat down to watch this in theaters in 2003)
Final Destination 2 (Ellis stages some epic deaths, maybe it's mired in a bit too much plot, but still one of the series high-points)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (bringing the old DP back to shoot this was the best decision they could have made. Great visual style transcends what's often a wrote Hollywood remake)
Wrong Turn (RIP Stan Winston)
Old 07-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

A Tale of Two Sisters
House of 1,000 Corpses
High Tension
Ju-On: The Grudge 2
Wrong Turn
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:

- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (I liked this a lot the first few times I saw it, but tonally it has not aged well - it just seems boring now)
That's how I felt upon re-visiting.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #25
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
To be honest, considering the question was about the quality of horror films made in 1995 (despite this being the 2003 thread), I'm a little confused as to why you brought up Bordello in the first place. Unless it was just to be confrontational.
I must have took your quote from the 1995 thread and posted it here by mistake. If I have anything else to say, I'll post it in the '95 thread.