Saw

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 AM   #17
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I bet you're a ray of sunshine in the real world. Jesus, all you ever do is bitch and complain about EVERYTHING and state your opinions as fact. Sorry, normally I just ignore your negativity, but going though the last day or two of posts you are just a real downer sometimes. It's too bad, as you seem quite intelligent and can put together a great read when you are passionate about something, but it's very few and far between.
Well, if you're bothered by my view on the genre, I can't help but feel your opinion of me as a person is invalid. Because anyone can clearly see the genre has changed. Now, knowing this and hopefully remembering what my numerous beefs with that are, what do you think is really the motivation for my rants on the last 10 years in horror? Are you honestly so impressed by Saw, Haute Tension, The Devil's Rejects, Wrong Turn, The Descent, Wolf Creek, etc(.), that you believe my reaction to them was that of a little baby and they were too intense for me? Because if I have to, and I just might since I've actually once had a discussion in which the other person actually said "I hope Jigsaw sets one of his traps on you," I will say that I think fans of the new survival movement in horror have plain lost their discernment for the value and merit of onscreen violence or brutality. That they've relinquished their ability to see it for anything other than quantity and judge the perspective film accordingly.

Has 1 single other person on this board even bothered to point out how fucking ridiculous the clichés of the last 10 years are? How often it always comes down to the same formula?

1. Settings must look dirty, dingy, grimy, dusty, and abandoned.

2. Killers must be some combination of greasy, dirty, grimy, fat, hairy, 40's or older, sweaty, or impossibly super-intuitive, super-concentrated, super-educated masterminds who plan everything perfectly.

3. Victims must be kidnapped, dragged, drugged, raped, and tortured while bound to chair or bed in underground bunker, crusty abandoned bathroom or basement, or dimly lit room that looks like a hospital.

4. Chase scenes must get closeups of victims sweating, vocal panting that reads on the mics, breathing hot air into cold wind, snot dripping out of nose = focus on extreme anatomical variations in the running to compensate for unnuanced stories.

5. Music scores must sound like repetitive, ununique rehashes of Silence of the Lambs or Se7en during tranquil moments. During "creepy" moments, must emulate the clanging, swiping of industrial items in a factory.

6. Zombies / demons / "infected" will run like lightning and have the strength of football players.

7. Characters must be incredibly obnoxious, trivial, callow, and superficial.

8. Camera must shake somewhere on a scale set between forensic detective TV show and Saving Private Ryan.

You tell me, right here right now, about the wealth of films from 2003-2013 that actually break away from that EXACT list of clichés. I'll wait.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #18
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Well, if you're bothered by my view on the genre, I can't help but feel your opinion of me as a person is invalid. Because anyone can clearly see the genre has changed. Now, knowing this and hopefully remembering what my numerous beefs with that are, what do you think is really the motivation for my rants on the last 10 years in horror? Are you honestly so impressed by Saw, Haute Tension, The Devil's Rejects, Wrong Turn, The Descent, Wolf Creek, etc(.), that you believe my reaction to them was that of a little baby and they were too intense for me? Because if I have to, and I just might since I've actually once had a discussion in which the other person actually said "I hope Jigsaw sets one of his traps on you," I will say that I think fans of the new survival movement in horror have plain lost their discernment for the value and merit of onscreen violence or brutality. That they've relinquished their ability to see it for anything other than quantity and judge the perspective film accordingly.

Has 1 single other person on this board even bothered to point out how fucking ridiculous the clichés of the last 10 years are? How often it always comes down to the same formula?

2. Killers must be some combination of greasy, dirty, grimy, fat, hairy, 40's or older, sweaty, or impossibly super-intuitive, super-concentrated, super-educated masterminds who plan everything perfectly.

3. Victims must be kidnapped, dragged, drugged, raped, and tortured while bound to chair or bed in underground bunker, crusty abandoned bathroom or basement, or dimly lit room that looks like a hospital.

4. Chase scenes must get closeups of victims sweating, vocal panting that reads on the mics, breathing hot air into cold wind, snot dripping out of nose = focus on extreme anatomical variations in the running to compensate for unnuanced stories.

5. Music scores must sound like repetitive, ununique rehashes of Silence of the Lambs or Se7en during tranquil moments. During "creepy" moments, must emulate the clanging, swiping of industrial items in a factory.

6. Zombies / demons / "infected" will run like lightning and have the strength of football players.

8. Camera must shake somewhere on a scale set between forensic detective TV show and Saving Private Ryan.

You tell me, right here right now, about the wealth of films from 2003-2013 that actually break away from that EXACT list of clichés. I'll wait.
You can take any decade and list cliche's based on the most popular films of the day. You thought of a list as you were thinking about Hostal, Saw, 28 days later and Haute tension. Congratulations. That sort of 2 cent insight tells me nothing. Why don't you look deeper into maybe why the films of the decade took a more darker tone. The fact that you didn't like the 2000's isn't what spawningblue's or anyone else's problem is with you. It's the underlining tone of arrogance and condescension in which you spew your opinions.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I thought of this list as I was thinking about Saw, Haute Tension, Wrong Turn, The Devil's Rejects, Wolf Creek, Dawn of the Dead remake, Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, Hills Have Eyes remake, Black Christmas remake, Friday the 13th remake, Halloween remake, Nightmare on Elm Street remake, Evil Dead remake, Piranha remake, My Bloody Valentine remake, Amityville Horror remake, Mother's Day remake, Darkness Falls, Teeth, Tamara, Cry_Wolf, The Woods, Case 39, Orphan, Jeepers Creepers 2, Turistas, Cabin Fever, Cabin in the Woods, The House of the Devil, Trick 'R Treat, Hatchet, The Ruins, Quarantine, Frontier(s), Ills/Them, Calvaire, Marytrs, The Strangers, A Serbian Film, The Human Centipede, Dream Home, The Girl Next Door, Eden Lake, Smiley, Dead Snow, Splinter, Midnight Meat Train, Cabin Fever 2, 28 Weeks Later, The Descent, Plague Town, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Last Exorcism, The Possession, The Devil Inside, The Rite, 30 Days of Night, and sequels. To all.

And I'll wait right here for your well-organized list on the clichés of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, Ash. (Not that there weren't any. But you know as well as I do that filmmakers didn't share brains or feed off the same studio system to make their groundbreaking films then. Chiefly because they didn't just copy each other.)

I don't care what people think about me. Never did. Likely never will either.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post

Taking about two seconds to think which is all this response is worth and Shaun of the Dead comes to my mind. Doesn't have any of those so called cliches that you listed above. I'm sure you will find a reason why it's terrible though. And it's not just the 2000s that you seem to hate, you complain about many other movies from the other decades.

It seems like 90% of your posts are long rants on why you hate something and why everything sucks. And yes, I can just ignore your posts, which I'm sure many others do, but why not put that time and devotion into writing something you love, and tell us why you like it? It will make the read that much more interesting. You're not a dumb person, I know that, but you are so negative it's just too much sometimes.

Do you think anyone wants to reads pages and pages of why you hate something, especially if it's something they like or love. If you don't like something then move on and talk about something you like. Criticism is one thing, it is actually really helpful most of the time, but you are a hatemonger. And you always post like your opinions are facts, and then start an argument over why someones opinion is wrong and you are right, like yours is the only one that matters. Can't you just accept that people have different tastes? Movies are for the most part entertainment, if someone gets entertainment out of a movie then it succeeded to them. If it didn't work for you, well move on and watch something that you enjoy.

Anyways, I'm not going to argue any more, I've said what I've wanted to say. And I have no dislike towards you (I mean we are both just posters on a forum who will probably never meet in real life), and actually enjoy reading your posts when you are passionate about something, it's too bad that I have to read 99 negative posts for every positive one from you. That is all.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 07-26-2013 at 04:24 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote