Rumpelstiltskin 1 2.56%
Embrace of the Vampire 6 15.38%
The Mangler 5 12.82%
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #16
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Now... this was a terrible year. My full agreement on that.

But Tales from the Hood was a good film. That's at least 1. And better than any of the "best" horror films I've seen in 2004, 2005, and 2006. And 2008 and 2009.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Terrible tittles.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
rhett

A lot of blind spots this year for me, and there is no way I'm voting for Halloween or Vampire in Brooklyn.

Village of the Damned (probably Carpenter's most underrated, I've never known anyone else to like this flick, but it's classic Carpenter to me. Love the score, some awesome compositions, great menace throughout. Okay, the brick wall shit at the end was a bit too literal, but still classic)
Children of the Corn III (probably the most fun of the series, what a wild ride Screaming Mad George takes us on in the last act)
Species (Always loved those horror flicks that explored temptation, this one's the best. Pretty amazing cast for a movie about a naked alien. Wish Henstridge had more of a career, between this and Ghosts of Mars she's a god to me)
Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 AM   #19
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I literally have a copy of Species sitting right across from me I borrowed from a roommate. Haven't stuck it in yet.

And I still say Urban Harvest is the worst film in the franchise until Isaac's Return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Regardless, I remember not caring for Bordello as much as Demon Knight when I first saw it.
Same.

Quote:
I rewatched it in university to see if my feelings had changed, and they hadn't. My limited memory is that it was trying to be funnier than Demon Knight was, but that the jokes weren't particularly successful. That Dennis Miller wasn't particularly funny or likable.
No, you're right there. He was underwhelming at best.

Quote:
And that Erica Eleniak and Corey Feldman just weren't that entertaining or compelling to watch.
Agreed here as well.

Quote:
Angie Everhart, on the other hand, I recall liking. It's not that I think the movie is terrible, just a disappointment after Demon Knight.

Quote:
Also, beyond what the title conveys, I can recall precious little about what the story was in Bordello.
Part of it was Eleniak worked for Christian minister Chris Sarandon who knew about Phil Fondacaro and evil Angie Everhart running the bordello and they were using it as a team to dispense of sinners. But Sarandon had a change of heart and tried to stop them. So...he actually believed in what they were doing while the others were just killing for fun.

Quote:
Demon Knight, on the other hand, had a story that I really enjoyed. The plot was structured well, there were plenty of surprises built into it, and I loved how it progressively escalated the stakes. First it was one guy chasing the other, then it was a siege on a hotel full of people, and then it became a battle for the future of the human race. I also liked the scope of the story, how it tied in references to the first world war, and the whole revisionist Christianity angle (before The Davinci code put that in vogue). It also had great actors playing great characters - William Sadler, Jada Pinkett, Billy Zane, Thomas Haden Church, CCH Pounder. And Dick Miller, for Christ's sake! That's a fantastic cast. And there were really well-established relationships between the characters as well. Allegiances, old grudges, double-crosses, fatal flaws, corruption, betrayal...it just had a lot of interesting dynamics going on. It had a great soundtrack, too (one of the first CDs I ever bought, and one of the few I've still held on to). It's just a really enjoyable movie. From 1995.
Well, you've definitely convinced me to try it again sometime.

Netflix has it on Watch Instant and I'm already having a little horrorfest later this week. I'll be sure to check it out again.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 07-29-2013 at 02:30 AM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote