Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
thing
Maniac

The Wolverine (2013)

The Wolverine (2013)

Directed by James Mangold

5.5/10

Hugh Jackman returns as Wolverine in another stand alone film for the character and this time much less connected to the ongoing saga in the X-Men universe. This film, mostly set in Japan will be unlikely to get the anger that the previous Wolverine film received for taking liberties with the source material, though this one did take many liberties also. This time around the effects are much better and it has a more singular focus and is not such a cluster of ideas, however it may have ended up making a worst mistake than being bad and insulting like last time, this time it's forgettable.
I do like the direction the X-Men universe films are going in like with the excellent First Class where it is moving away from the Blockbuster spectacle and more into story telling and characters. In this case they have gone even further in that direction but the problem is execution.
It is all well and good to have a drama based superhero film with little action but when the drama's impact is only so-so and the action scenes are poorly put together, combined with uninventive set design and direction, you have a problem. The Japanese setting was ripe for some wonderous images but this was rarely taken advantage of.
All in all, the film is not bad, it just isn'y anything special and totally skippable. It gets the tone right but doesn't add any excitement to the equation. The much talked about post credit sequence was a let down also and could only be exciting to those who live under a rock and were unaware that Days of Future Past is coming out next year.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
The much talked about post credit sequence was a let down also and could only be exciting to those who live under a rock and were unaware that Days of Future Past is coming out next year.
I may have to get out from under this rock of mine. I had to google Days of Future Past, because I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about. Cool that Bryan Singer is directing it...
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
russweiss
Maniac

I found the film entertaining but nowhere near as good as my expectations. Personally I love it when there are post credit scenes. Partially because so many people have left the theater before they air.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I actually liked the first, but have no inclination to see this one. Weird.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
spawningblue
Deadite

I really liked this film. It's a little more intimate and character driven then some of the other big budget summer fare this year, but that's what I liked about it. Hugh Jackman was great as always, and it was cool to finally seem him kick ass, ninja ass! Apparently the Blu will be even better as the Director had to cut out a lot of the blood and kills. I love Wolverine, so I'm obviously a little biased, but I gave this a 8 out of 10. It definitely makes up for the previous Origins film.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
russweiss
Maniac

That's interesting as I preferred Origins to this one. Honestly of the five Jackman Wolverine films this one is my least favorite. I've seen all the others at least twice so I'm not just going by an old memory.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
thing
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
That's interesting as I preferred Origins to this one. Honestly of the five Jackman Wolverine films this one is my least favorite. I've seen all the others at least twice so I'm not just going by an old memory.
to be honest, I think id rather rewatch origins than rewatch this one.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
to be honest, I think id rather rewatch origins than rewatch this one.
Just curious but are you guys comic book fans, or just fans of the films? I wonder if that has anything to do with it, as Origins was for the most part widely hated, especially by comic book fans. I didn't hate Origins as much as others did, but it definitely had a lot of issues, the main one being the need to throw in a mutant every 5 min., and totally bastardizing Deadpool.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
thing
Maniac

I'm a comic book fan
Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
russweiss
Maniac

I am not a comic book fan. Haven't read them since the 70's when I was young.