Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Reviews

Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
thing
HackMaster

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015) non-spoiler Review

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

Directed by Matthew Vaughn

I never cared too much for Vaughn's directorial debut 'Layercake' although admittedly I did not see it under ideal conditions. His next film 'Stardust' had some of the most dreadful marketing but when I finally happened upon it the film turned out to be a pretty entertaining fantasy yarn. He then followed it up with the one two punch of super-hero movies 'Kick-ass' and 'X-Men: first Class:. The former becoming a cult hit that spawned a crappy Vaughn-less sequel and the latter reinvigorating the X-Men franchise that had been tarnished by Brett Ratner. Next their were the rumours that he was being lined up to take on Star Wars Episode VI to the glee of many but eventually it was made known that his next project was to be this film then titled simply 'Kingsman' and the Star Wars job went on to the un-remarkable JJ Abrams instead.

So here we have Kingsman which reunited Vaughn with his long-time writing partner Jane Goldman to adapt another comic from Kick-ass scribe Mark Millar. The story centers around a spy organization's agent (Colin Firth) who recruits an unrefined, but promising street kid (Taron Egerton) into the agency's ultra-competitive training program just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius (Samuel L. Jackson). The film was made outside the studio system and then sold as a finished product to a studio just the way they did with Kick-ass and it is probably the reason why the young lead character is actually surprisingly likable throughout instead of an overly street cool annoying fool that you find at the centre of most Hollywood productions. All the other characters are well written and performed too and the film has a lot of satire about the changing nature of spy films and seems to take a deserved swipe at the over-seriousness of Skyfall.

On the downside, even though the film is set clearly outside of the real world, I found many of the combat scenes to be too sped up and cartoony which made the tone just shift a little too far into the ridiculous at times but was happy to see them make the most of their intended R rating. This is a small gripe as most of the film is fun and it does have some good tense set pieces and plot lines. On the whole I do not think this will be a big hit in all countries and it does not seem to have been marketed very well or been able to capture the spirit of the film but I recommend checking it out.

7/10
Old 02-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
dayglo
Maniac

Saw this yesterday, and I found it to be a ton of fun and well worth watching in the theatre. The trailers from last year made it look interesting as it seemed to embrace things more recent spy thrillers have abandoned, and that just added to the whole fun of it.

It's also one of the most elegantly violent movies I've seen in quite some time.

dayglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
thing
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayglo View Post
Saw this yesterday, and I found it to be a ton of fun and well worth watching in the theatre. The trailers from last year made it look interesting as it seemed to embrace things more recent spy thrillers have abandoned, and that just added to the whole fun of it.

It's also one of the most elegantly violent movies I've seen in quite some time.
It did better at the American box office than I thought it might considering its a very english film.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Erick H.
HackMaster

I felt KICK ASS was hit and miss but overall I quite enjoyed this. Despite a high violence quotient (albeit very stylized and surreal) it has much of the feel of old school spy fare like early Bond, THE AVENGERS, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E and Matt Helm with none other than "Harry Palmer" himself, Michael Caine, along for the ride. Firth is first rate , the young Egerton make a great impression and Jackson has a ball as the over the top baddie. Great score and loads of action. Has the occasional crude moment (this is after all the same guy who did KICK ASS, so it's gonna have a bit of raunchiness) and is occasionally weird for weird's sake, but overall a lot of fun.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
thing
HackMaster

I preferred kickass overall