Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Mario Bava's THE WHIP AND THE BODY (1963) from Kino 12/17/13

Didn't see a thread for this one, but since reviews are starting to surface I figured we should start one!

The specs from Kino:

Steeped in sadomasochism and lushly photographed in the vivid hues for which the director is known, Mario Bava's The Whip and the Body is a Gothic thriller that far surpasses the AIP Edgar Allan Poe films that it was intended to emulate. Christopher Lee (Dracula: Prince of Darkness) stars as Kurt Menliff, the sadistic son of a wealthy Count, who returns to the family castle, much to the dismay of his family, their servants, and the beautiful woman with whom he shares a fondness for the lash (Daliah Lavi). When Kurt is found murdered, it brings no peace to those who had feared him, as his vengeful spirit cannot be contained by the grave, and he returns to torment those unfortunate enough to remain within Menliff Manor.

Special Features:
* Mastered in HD from an original 35mm print
* Italian with optional English subtitles
* English dubbed
* French with optional English subtitles
* Audio commentary by Tim Lucas, author of Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark
* Theatrical trailer
* Original trailers of other Bava films

Italian trailer:
http://youtu.be/qnikPuOojwk

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Reviews up at Mondo Digital
http://www.mondo-digital.com/whipbody.html

and DVD Drive-In
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/t...ebody63blu.htm

Old 11-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
X-human
I ate my keys

Hrm, Kino started off so well on Blu-ray but now they're slipping back into their old selves with easily avoidable transfer mistakes. I'm guessing their best teams were the only ones on Blu-ray at first and now we're getting the good with the bad.

Reviews look good but with the new and improved Arrow a simple comparison might bring out some glaring errors. So with no Arrow release in sight I'm still going to have to pass for now.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Mondo Digital's review is very positive of this disc -- so I'm not sure what transfer mistakes you're referring to?

This is from a different licensing deal than the Alfredo Leone Bava's, so I'm unsure if Arrow even have it.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
cjg
Maniac

Anybody know if they are going to release more Bava in the future ?
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Mondo Digital's review is very positive of this disc -- so I'm not sure what transfer mistakes you're referring to?
In general all of the Kino Bava releases have fallen short of the Arrow releases in one way or another, and even recently Kino's Nosferatu fell shot of MoC's. Kino just doesn't have an eye for video.

It's a trend you can set your watch to; if there's competing editions the Kino falls short. So while there is no competing edition at the moment, there's reason to believe one is in the works and therefore statistically better. One forewarned can't blindly trust Kino to do it "right."

If eventually this turns out not to be the case with Whip I will gladly buy it. The fact that you said Whip is with another owner could mean another international distributor could get it and do worse. But I'm willing to wait that out.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

DVDBeaver Review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdre...d_the_body.htm
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
X-human
I ate my keys

Looks to be color graded to blue which is the modern trend now. DVD Beaver even spells it out, "skin tones gravitate all over the place from cool to warm depending on the lighting." VCI and EMS seem to confirm the rich color tapestry Bava is well known for (originally a cinematographer, he knows to keep flesh tones consistent). I think the sixth picture set tells the tale quite clearly:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdre..._ems_03058.jpg
A well balance color pallet that uses color to frame the foreground from the background, uses soft blue to create the feel of night, uses an X pattern of contrasting color lighting that it breaks with the actress's face which is text book photography drawing your eyes to the focal point using lines.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...5_blu-ray_.jpg
A big blue mess with the delicate cross pattern lost. Without she appears miss framed. The blue of night is almost cartoonish it's so blue and flattens the image. The added blue also mixes with the yellow creating an unnatural green. Her makeup suffers from the tinting; the last thing a photographer is going to do is ruin the leading lady's makeup.

Overall the narrative's theme of S&M is represented in the contrast of warm and cool balanced expertly by Bava in every frame on both the EMS and VCI releases. Honestly I'd rather watch the EMS (which I do own). Some of my best friends are colorists, photographers and cinematographers. If I wanted to break out some Bava to show 'em how it's done I would not want to put in Kino's disc here that's for sure.

Last edited by X-human; 12-05-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Ash28M
HackMaster

Those DVD beaver screen shots are disappointing. I've been holding out for the Blu-ray and like the Nosferatu release, this just makes me want to hold out some more and see what the UK or another country does with it.

Last edited by Ash28M; 12-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Review up at Blu-Ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wh.../50849/#Review

Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

It's been reported that Arrow don't have this one, so I guess the controversial Kino is the only hi-def option for the forseeable future. (Thankfully it's not among my favorite Bavas!)

DVD Savant weighs in on the very blue blu.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4366frus.html

Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
It's been reported that Arrow don't have this one, so I guess the controversial Kino is the only hi-def option for the forseeable future. (Thankfully it's not among my favorite Bavas!)

DVD Savant weighs in on the very blue blu.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4366frus.html
So sad to hear about this. This is one of my favorite Bava films and I was really looking forward to upgrading from my old VCI DVD. Particularly sad to read Savant's comments about the scene where Nevenka gets up from the bed as I tend to hold that as one of Bava's greatest sequences.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote