Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 10-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
buck135
The Duke of New York

Dawn of the Dead Happinet 3-Disc Blu-ray 12/20/13

This has been mentioned in the Day of the Dead Scream Factory thread, but since the release date has been pushed back to 12/20/13, I thought I'd create a thread. This box set from Japan is currently available for preorder with shipping for just over $120. You can buy the discs individually (however buying all three individual discs is currently more expensive than the box set). As with the other two Happinet films in this trilogy, I'm sure the price will plummet after a year or two. As far as what is included? Looks like a brand new remaster of the Theatrical Cut as well as the Argento and Director's Cut's in 1080p. Doesn't look like much in terms of extras (new or old). With Rubenstein's 3D conversion set for release next year, I'd say it's a safe bet these three cuts will see the light of day on blu-ray in the future. I however am an impatient man who wants them in two months.

Here's an article about it:

http://exploderbutton.com/exploder/d...-december-3rd/
Old 10-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Dave
Pimp

Yummy. I might have to bite, too. I have really fallen in love with the movie over the past few years. I haven't really explored the alternate cuts too much and this might be a good way to start doing it. The Japanese know how to treat Dawn. There were some great LD sets of it, too.

As for the 3D release, I can't wait!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I hope the 3D release hits theaters. While I'm not a fan of creating 3d versions of older films, I would love to see the original in a theater. Hopefully Anchor Bay puts together a BD set next year.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiend View Post
I hope the 3D release hits theaters. While I'm not a fan of creating 3d versions of older films, I would love to see the original in a theater. Hopefully Anchor Bay puts together a BD set next year.
I think the rights Anchor Bay held on Dawn have expired. I too hope that the 3D version hits theaters in my area. The new Birth of the Living Dead documentary isn't in a theater anywhere near me.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
ekent
The Lord's Arm of Justice

Location: North California, South Alabam, and little towns all around this land
Wow. I might have to get this because it includes an insane Japanese TV version's audio track, which was completely rescored, re-foleyed and re-dubbed.
ekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I think the rights Anchor Bay held on Dawn have expired. I too hope that the 3D version hits theaters in my area. The new Birth of the Living Dead documentary isn't in a theater anywhere near me.
Wow, really!? I figured Dawn and Halloween were their cash cows, odd they would let the rights slip. Wonder who will pick them up (Shout/Scream perhaps?!)?
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Wow, really!? I figured Dawn and Halloween were their cash cows, odd they would let the rights slip. Wonder who will pick them up (Shout/Scream perhaps?!)?
Anchor bay has their heads so far up their asshole it actually fits.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I believe the term lapsed, thus the rights are back with Richard Rubenstein. I swear I read Cliff from Shout Factory say that they attempted to obtain the rights along with Day, however the price was astronomical. Again, I'm assuming here, but it would make sense that Mr Rubenstein is looking to really cash in with the 3D release next year. I would assume that he is expecting a large studio to pick up the tab, and then some, for a large theatrical and blu-ray release. This is all purely speculation on my part.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekent View Post
Wow. I might have to get this because it includes an insane Japanese TV version's audio track, which was completely rescored, re-foleyed and re-dubbed.
I too am very curious to watch that.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
buck135
The Duke of New York

http://www.ghoulbasement.com/2013/09...imate.html?m=1

Here's another article that states that not only are all three discs region free, but all three versions of the film are getting new HD remasters. Outstanding! Plus a 16 page booklet which I won't be able to understand. Lol.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Zillamon51
Maniac

I have the AB Ultimate Edition set and the AB blu-ray. I don't care enough about the alternate cuts to worry about having them on BD. The theatrical cut is the only one I ever watch so it's all I need in HD. (I would still probably buy a big set if one was released stateside.)
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
ekent
The Lord's Arm of Justice

Location: North California, South Alabam, and little towns all around this land
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
http://www.ghoulbasement.com/2013/09...imate.html?m=1

Here's another article that states that not only are all three discs region free, but all three versions of the film are getting new HD remasters. Outstanding! Plus a 16 page booklet which I won't be able to understand. Lol.
I know the guy who put the book together so perhaps I can get a translation.

By the way - I still have those Perfect Collection files and I need to get back on the project. I needed a new laptop and new software to get back on the wagon. I should have an update for you soon.
ekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #13
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekent View Post
I know the guy who put the book together so perhaps I can get a translation.

By the way - I still have those Perfect Collection files and I need to get back on the project. I needed a new laptop and new software to get back on the wagon. I should have an update for you soon.
That's awesome! Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #14
buck135
The Duke of New York

I received this from DHL just now. The Amazon box resembled the package at the beginning of Ace Ventura. I actually was able to view the boxset through the rips in the box, which was fortunately secured well. The packaging was pristine and the discs were intact.

The boxset itself resembles the Japanese Perfect Laserdisc Collection. It's very similar, and even has an obi. The booklet has photo's I've never seen before from the making of the film, however the text naturally is all Japanese. There are also sealed postcards in clear plastic which I did not open. The discs themselves are housed in the box in the same individual amaray cases that are available for sale individually.

Now onto the discs themselves. When I read that all three versions of the film were receiving brand new HD transfers, I got my hopes up. Way up. These transfers are nothing to brag about. I checked the U.S. theatrical and Director's Cut discs. Both look identical. The positives being natural grain and good colors, the negative being print damage and weak contrast. The audio is acceptable but not mind blowing.

While I recognize the age of the film along with the inherent problems with the filming of the movie (natural light, time and budget constraints, etc.), I couldn't help but to get my hopes up after reading "new HD masters of all three versions of the films." I cannot with good conscious recommend this set to anyone that isn't an absolute die hard fan of the original Romero zombie trilogy. It is a beautiful looking set, and while the transfers are not visually stunning, this set still does contain all three versions of the film in 1080p.

The current price is absurd as well. It is my hope that the upcoming 3D version of the movie in 2014 will bring about remasters from the original negatives thus yielding better results. Time will tell. It was my intention to create an Extended Mall Hours blu-ray from this set. It would be a waste of my time which is a shame.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
Dave
Pimp

I'm on that like butter on bread.

Looks gorgeous.

Sorry but I'm just becoming a collector of Dawn stuff. I'm going to get the LD boxes, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81GK39ZJ4CL._AA1500_.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	6619