Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Spacetraveler
Stalker

Growing movie collection becoming a serious storage problem

I lost count how many DVDs, blu-rays, and video games I have in my collection but they must be in the thousands. They are taking up more and more room and if I relocate they will be a real pain to move. I know I can sell some of the movies and games to free up space but they will most likely sell for next to nothing considering how poorly DVDs generally hold their value and I'm reluctant to part with some of them. Storage would be a bad choice since the cost of storing them will add up quickly and will eventually exceed the amount I paid for the stuff being stored or replacement cost if I were to throw them away. My plan going forward is to significantly reduce buying new releases and possibly set a limit on how many to buy each year. But the issue of my existing collection still remains. How many of you have the same problem? How do you deal with them? I read all responses so even if I don't reply I take every response into consideration in managing this problem.
Spacetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
msw7
Morso a morte

I just downsized my collection considerably - got rid of about 1/3, with another 75-100 still in a pile waiting for me to get around to selling them.

details/discussion here: http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...ad.php?t=44958

Basically I sold a bunch, donated some, and sold and upgraded a few others to blu-ray (which are smaller and take up less space). Friends of mine have put their DVDs in binders and thrown away the cases, but I've never been able to bring myself to do that.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Spacetraveler
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
I just downsized my collection considerably - got rid of about 1/3, with another 75-100 still in a pile waiting for me to get around to selling them.

details/discussion here: http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...ad.php?t=44958

Basically I sold a bunch, donated some, and sold and upgraded a few others to blu-ray (which are smaller and take up less space). Friends of mine have put their DVDs in binders and thrown away the cases, but I've never been able to bring myself to do that.
Did you sell them online (ebay, craigslist) or at garage sales and flea markets? How much on average were you able to sell them for?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
maybrick
HackMaster

I'm slowly starting to hate my DVD collection, but I can't bring myself to part with most of them. It'd be much easier if I could recoup even a quarter of what I spent, but as has been pointed out, all but a few if them have depreciated like mad. I would have a hard time giving them away at this point.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
Spacetraveler
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I'm slowly starting to hate my DVD collection, but I can't bring myself to part with most of them. It'd be much easier if I could recoup even a quarter of what I spent, but as has been pointed out, all but a few if them have depreciated like mad. I would have a hard time giving them away at this point.
I know right? Believe me, if I could get 50% what I paid for I would sell them like crazy.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacetraveler View Post
Did you sell them online (ebay, craigslist) or at garage sales and flea markets? How much on average were you able to sell them for?
I used amazon's trade in service for some, and sold the rest to local used record/book stores.

I donated a box to DVDs for the Troops (link towards the end of the thread I linked above).

I don't have the exact numbers, but I probably averaged about $2 per disk for the ones I sold, which is more than I expected, to be honest.

I try to keep things in perfect shape, and only one or two disks were refused because they had some scratches - they played fine, but the stores were a bit particular about the condition. They looked at the surface of every disk in the stores (even in box sets), and if a disk appeared to be scratched (even slightly) they wouldn't buy it.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
Spacetraveler
Stalker

Quote:
I used amazon's trade in service for some, and sold the rest to local used record/book stores.

I donated a box to DVDs for the Troops (link towards the end of the thread I linked above).

I don't have the exact numbers, but I probably averaged about $2 per disk for the ones I sold, which is more than I expected, to be honest.

I try to keep things in perfect shape, and only one or two disks were refused because they had some scratches - they played fine, but the stores were a bit particular about the condition. They looked at the surface of every disk in the stores (even in box sets), and if a disk appeared to be scratched (even slightly) they wouldn't buy it.
Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Pick ten that you think you'll never watch again, and get rid of them - throw them away or donate them to the salvation army if you don't want to sell them. Then in six months see if you can remember the titles that you got rid of, or if you regret getting rid of them at all.

If you don't remember them, and don't regret it, then it's much easier to get rid of the next bunch. And if having them feels like a burden, getting rid of them will feel pretty good. To me, that good feeling is worth it, even if I can't recoup any of what I spent on them.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Pick ten that you think you'll never watch again, and get rid of them - throw them away or donate them to the salvation army if you don't want to sell them. Then in six months see if you can remember the titles that you got rid of, or if you regret getting rid of them at all.

If you don't remember them, and don't regret it, then it's much easier to get rid of the next bunch. And if having them feels like a burden, getting rid of them will feel pretty good. To me, that good feeling is worth it, even if I can't recoup any of what I spent on them.
Good advice. I only have the DVD's of films that I will actually watch again. I went from over 3000 DVD's to about 200. I upgraded the movies that I love to blu-ray. I first went to Amazon, since they pay unusual prices for certain titles, then I put together lots to sell on eBay. The rest went to the library to be donated.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Local library is where I dump some of my unwanted discs.

To fix my storage problem, I put up shelves that maximize the entire space of that particular room (all my movies and other stuff are dedicated to a room in the basement). If anything, my damn Batman figure collection takes up more space than my movies (I have over 2500 discs btw). lol I do like that blu-ray cases take up less space and if I upgrade a movie, I put the DVD in with the bluray by using a dual holder case.

Last edited by rxfiend; 08-29-2013 at 06:43 PM.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:

I've been giving ones that I don't want to a friend who then puts them up on ebay. Occasionally he'll pass me anywhere from $5-20. In the past year I've given him about 50 discs and just now I'm purging my collection of roughly 60 more. It just isn't enough.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Angelman
HackMaster

I used to have a big collection, not like some here, but big and I got out of physical media when people still overpaid for DVD just because. Now my collection is super tight, only the ones I will rewatch over and over (Halloween, etc). Maybe 30-40 discs. The rest I rent, Netflix, etc. Having a kid made the trim down a neccesity.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
WesReviews
HackMaster

Quote:
Is this a reputable group/charity? I would like to unload some of my DVDs but before I give to a group like this, I want to make sure it's actually going to the troops and not being sold or used for profit.

Anyone have any experiences sending DVDs to this group?

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote