Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 12-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #61
ronnie21
HackMaster

this movie is really forgettable , galaxy of terror and forbidden world is way better.. and more entertaining.. who cares..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #62
thing
Maniac

http://www.avforums.com/review/satur...ay-review.9593
finally a reviewer who gets it
Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #63
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Crawlspace review: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a...spaceblu86.htm

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #64
ronnie21
HackMaster

dvd drive-in seems to get all these releases early..
Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #65
thing
Maniac

here is the talk on Saturn 3

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62095/saturn-3/
Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #66
Katatonia
Master of Doom

DVD Talk reviews Crawlspace: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62204/crawlspace/

Old 12-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #67
ronnie21
HackMaster

not to be nitpicky, but crawlspace was filmed in October of 1985... not 86.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #68
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie21 View Post
not to be nitpicky, but crawlspace was filmed in October of 1985... not 86.
A lot of places just go by the theatrical release date, not when it was actually filmed. Crawlspace was released in May 1986.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #69
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
yeah, that sounded pretty odd to me too. regardless, I'm looking forward to this one. I remember always being curious about the massive clamshell cover in video stores as a youth. it seemed very rough and menacing. I saw the film once, years ago, and was a little let down when it did turn out to be more of a werebug film than a werewolf film. my tastes have definitely changed a lot in a decade, though. Can't wait to give it a second chance.
Remember this: I warned you.

The Beast Within is one of the WORST movies I have seen in years. I fuckin' hate it. With a passion. It looks like shit, throughout. The acting is shit. The writing is PAINFUL shit. The dialogue is horrendously painful shit. It's logically-deficient. The special effects are terrible. The characters are idiotic and extremely unrealistic. And whether it could be mistaken for being puritanical or trying to document the evils of puritanicalness in others- it fails. Hard.

And it starts out with a genuinely sexist rape scene. I would actually hesitate to call the molestation / rape scenes in both Humongous (this film's clear superior in every way, though still markedly bad in its own right) and Silent Night, Deadly Night sexist before this entirely, offensively unnecessary rape scene. Which, by virtue of being so badly handled thematically, I consider genuinely offensive.

Watching this movie was one of the biggest wastes of my time in years. Because of bothering with this, I missed And Soon the Darkness, Lifeforce, Phantasm III, and others I'll likely remember later.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #70
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post

The Beast Within is one of the WORST movies I have seen in years. I fuckin' hate it. With a passion. It looks like shit, throughout. The acting is shit. The writing is PAINFUL shit. The dialogue is horrendously painful shit. It's logically-deficient. The special effects are terrible. The characters are idiotic and extremely unrealistic. And whether it could be mistaken for being puritanical or trying to document the evils of puritanicalness in others- it fails. Hard.

And it starts out with a genuinely sexist rape scene. I would actually hesitate to call the molestation / rape scenes in both Humongous (this film's clear superior in every way, though still markedly bad in its own right) and Silent Night, Deadly Night sexist before this entirely, offensively unnecessary rape scene. Which, by virtue of being so badly handled thematically, I consider genuinely offensive.

Watching this movie was one of the biggest wastes of my time in years. Because of bothering with this, I missed And Soon the Darkness, Lifeforce, Phantasm III, and others I'll likely remember later.
God, it's not that bad at all. I thought it had a very Grindhouse feel to it, a lot like The Pit. I never went into this expecting great acting or clever dialogue; it's an old 80's film after all. I expected something corny and though this is much more mean spirited than I expected, I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I even think the Nighttime scenes are lit really nice and give a good atmosphere to the film.

I respect that you don't like the film and I'm not saying it's great but I do think you're going a bit over-the-top with how bad it is.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #71
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Oh, it is every bit that-bad. I refuse to back down on this one- it is one of the worst movies I've seen in years. Flat-out. Frankly, if anyone remembers the royal fit I threw over Humanoids from the Deep? Well, that actually at least worked when it came to the FX, the look of the film, and viciousness of the attack scenes. This piece of shit failed at almost everything it did. Every last thing.

Now... I admit that I take certain films with certain subject matters and tones and grievous errors more seriously than others. I wouldn't say mean-spirited myself. If you saw it that way, you may be onto something. If it was mean spirited for you, I can't contest that. But to me, preachy is closer to the grand prize. I believe it was trying to deal with small town corruption and hick / rednecks, if I remember correctly. But the characterization was so obtuse - I'm guessing the intent behind that was to just make anyone getting in the way of the protagonist the biggest assholes in the subgenre - that whatever hope for exploring prejudice was stamped out from minute 1.

Someone on this movie wanted to say something and they fucking blew it. Big time. To the point where I was clearly being insulted for trying to invest in the story, characters, etc. At every turn, this thing spit in my face. In a way I would not describe as mean-spirited. Self-serving, yes. Even calling it frustrating to sit through is the kind of understatement I can't make- this pissed me off. A lot.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #72
MisterTwister
HackMaster

DVD-fanatic-9 exaggerates a lot. The Beast Within is a fun 80's horror film.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #73
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
DVD-fanatic-9 exaggerates a lot. The Beast Within is a fun 80's horror film.
Incorrect.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #74
crikan
HackMaster

I would have enjoyed THE BEAST WITHIN if the main actor hadn't sucked so hard. He made it impossible for me to get swept up into the film.

DVD-fanatic-9, good to see you back. You tend to get overly critical when a film has a rape scene or misogyny.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #75
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:

thanks for the warning. I must admit, you're posts have reminded me a lot of my feelings after watching it. I remember almost nothing about it, although I do recall that there was a rape scene at the beginning, and that I was fairly put off by it. but I do remember that I didn't respond well to the film in general. that knowledge isn't diminishing my desire to revisit it, though, which makes no sense, but that's just the way it is....

Quote:
if anyone remembers the royal fit I threw over Humanoids from the Deep?
I do remember that.

Where have you been? You disappeared about 10 days into the October film tracking thread. Nice to see you back.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote