Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Buechlers_beard
Stalker
 
Buechlers_beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 289
Trick 'r Treat 2 still happening?

Over at Fear net, Sam has popped up in another pre-Halloween short.

http://www.fearnet.com/videos/trick-r-treat-back-school

Also on YouTube is a behind the scenes video, where Michael Doherty mentions (albeit briefly) a sequel. Sorry but I can't seem to link to it. It's there though :v)

Hopefully a well budgeted DTV could happen, especially after great reviews already coming in for the DTV Curse of Chucky!
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Franco
Weekender
 
Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Peru
Posts: 2,279
It would be great to have another movie like this one for Halloween! And not only DTV but a standard release in cinemas. I fully enjoyed it!!
__________________
What are you doing to make this world a better place? Dying a bit everyday.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
fallon6190
Victim
 
fallon6190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 98
Dam I love Sam. We need another Trick' r Treat movie.
fallon6190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Erick H.
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,070
I thought the original was uneven but I loved Sam,I'd give it a shot.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
TheButcher
Screamy Bopper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
The first one was great!

Warner Brothers screwed up not releasing that theatrically.
TheButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,259
The original film did spend a lot of time trying to shoot a fan-loving Halloween movie... which is why it's kind of strange, not to mention SAVAGELY off-putting, that it's such a stupidly hateful movie. It seems to be trying to say Halloween is a vicious holiday and we've seen it get the soft touch too many times... Yeah, that's why we really need someone with no grasp of nuance, complexity, brutality (beyond the Cut + Paste new millennium garbage we see in every horror film of the last 10 years, what I'm saying is that they failed to inject their story or characters with the intensity they so desperately wanted, and needed because they put so much emphasis on it), intelligence, or subversion to give us a collection of sexist, ignorant, childish body-horror hijinks with superficial music video flair. It's another one of those movies where, if you're a smart person, every character is so lifeless, stupid, and aggressive that it makes you want to hurt the people who made the movie. I'm sorry, but everyone I've run into who praises this fails to actually address the characters and their role in the stories. The fans just go: it was a good idea. Um... the job of a movie is to take an idea and flesh it out. This does not happen in post production. It actually requires intelligent handling of worthwhile characters. They don't have to be smart, but they do have to be smart in their stupidity or hatefulness. This movie just throws shit onscreen.

And it's fucking incredibly offensive. If you paid attention. Though, nothing is more offensive than the idea that this is all the movies it rips off but, yeah, a brutal look at this overcommercialized, child-friendly holiday... Which has been fucking dying off as an American Tradition for YEARS before this movie was made... This is the final piece of evidence proving the makers of this film are completely beyond understanding. Every situation in this movie takes something we like about Halloween and perverts it to insult what we don't take seriously about it. By showing, let's cut the shit here: Sexy Chicks in Tight Costumes who at least get attention from everyone who wants to get drunk and get laid. This is made abundantly clear in monotonously sleazy scene after monotonously sleazy scene (and don't even get me started on the children!!!). This is their way to rebel against... CHARLIE BROWN?!?!?!? If you really aren't following me in the slightest right now, I would have to write a paper on the patronizing stupidity of that ambition. That legacy of Halloween is only alive in nostalgia, on the internet. On the fucking street: Halloween IS about people in slutty, tight costumes getting drunk, partying, and getting laid. That is like going into a high school cafeteria because you want to expose the potentially harmful (depending on what universe and time you're in) clique-mentality of high school, going right past the football player and cheerleader tables and starting a screaming match with the people at the "quote unquote" nerd table.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Buechlers_beard
Stalker
 
Buechlers_beard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 289
So, you didn't like it then....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
The original film did spend a lot of time trying to shoot a fan-loving Halloween movie... which is why it's kind of strange, not to mention SAVAGELY off-putting, that it's such a stupidly hateful movie. It seems to be trying to say Halloween is a vicious holiday and we've seen it get the soft touch too many times... Yeah, that's why we really need someone with no grasp of nuance, complexity, brutality (beyond the Cut + Paste new millennium garbage we see in every horror film of the last 10 years, what I'm saying is that they failed to inject their story or characters with the intensity they so desperately wanted, and needed because they put so much emphasis on it), intelligence, or subversion to give us a collection of sexist, ignorant, childish body-horror hijinks with superficial music video flair. It's another one of those movies where, if you're a smart person, every character is so lifeless, stupid, and aggressive that it makes you want to hurt the people who made the movie. I'm sorry, but everyone I've run into who praises this fails to actually address the characters and their role in the stories. The fans just go: it was a good idea. Um... the job of a movie is to take an idea and flesh it out. This does not happen in post production. It actually requires intelligent handling of worthwhile characters. They don't have to be smart, but they do have to be smart in their stupidity or hatefulness. This movie just throws shit onscreen.

And it's fucking incredibly offensive. If you paid attention. Though, nothing is more offensive than the idea that this is all the movies it rips off but, yeah, a brutal look at this overcommercialized, child-friendly holiday... Which has been fucking dying off as an American Tradition for YEARS before this movie was made... This is the final piece of evidence proving the makers of this film are completely beyond understanding. Every situation in this movie takes something we like about Halloween and perverts it to insult what we don't take seriously about it. By showing, let's cut the shit here: Sexy Chicks in Tight Costumes who at least get attention from everyone who wants to get drunk and get laid. This is made abundantly clear in monotonously sleazy scene after monotonously sleazy scene (and don't even get me started on the children!!!). This is their way to rebel against... CHARLIE BROWN?!?!?!? If you really aren't following me in the slightest right now, I would have to write a paper on the patronizing stupidity of that ambition. That legacy of Halloween is only alive in nostalgia, on the internet. On the fucking street: Halloween IS about people in slutty, tight costumes getting drunk, partying, and getting laid. That is like going into a high school cafeteria because you want to expose the potentially harmful (depending on what universe and time you're in) clique-mentality of high school, going right past the football player and cheerleader tables and starting a screaming match with the people at the "quote unquote" nerd table.
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Cooperkill
Stalker
 
Cooperkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 215
I was okay with the Charlie Brown bashing. Charlie Brown is an asshole.
__________________
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/signaturepics/sigpic10145_2.gif
http://www.splattercritic.com
Cooperkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,259
This movie is like a little kid in a sailor suit and bow on his head kicking you in the shins repeatedly while his prissy, pill-popping mother in designer business clothes laughs in amusement.

A) Neither of them are fit to be mocking or antagonizing anyone else.

B) Again, not fit to be accusing anyone else of being an asshole. No matter how you define the word.

What's to like about that?
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,528


DVDF9 will not rest until there is justice. Lucy, beware.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,259
You know what? Filmmakers actually (in some cases) try to put thought and meaning into their films. Perhaps not so much in the 80's (always), but if you're denying that there is a method to TRT's nastiness and supporting the argument by many that horror is there for us to turn our brains off, that's ridiculous at best. When a filmmaker is as aggressive as Doherty has been with this film, he's inviting analysis.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-04-2013 at 08:37 AM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
Paff
Moderator
 
Paff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post


DVDF9 will not rest until there is justice. Lucy, beware.
Ever see the day all the comic strips played tribute to Charles Schultz after he passed away? Tank McNamara, the sports-oriented strip showed Lucy pulling the ball away. Then in the next panel, a group of huge football players pounce on her. Charlie never kicked the ball, but at least Lucy got flattened by some interior linemen
__________________
CINEMA PAFF - Your BB-Movie Showcase *

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Ever see the day all the comic strips played tribute to Charles Schultz after he passed away? Tank McNamara, the sports-oriented strip showed Lucy pulling the ball away. Then in the next panel, a group of huge football players pounce on her. Charlie never kicked the ball, but at least Lucy got flattened by some interior linemen
, no, I missed that! Pretty great.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Paff
Moderator
 
Paff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,201
Found it!

__________________
CINEMA PAFF - Your BB-Movie Showcase *

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal
 
Workshed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Found it!

, that's awesome. thanks for posting. Charlie's face in the last panel is perfect.
__________________
*Films watched in: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2012 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com