Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #61
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Diggin' the global scope! Looks fun so far.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #62
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

The new trailer looks better but I'm not sure if this will be worth a cinema watch.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #63
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

It's a much better trailer.

I still think it looks ridiculous that they replace/encase his entire body yet they leave his one hand fully exposed.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #64
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
This is all wrong
Egad, if that image is post production, its an epic fail. Because it looks like a guy in a suit, not a cyborg. Everything in the design looks like something to accommodate the form of a human wearer, not emphasize mechanized function over no longer existent human appendages. Worse, the style looks like the studio is trying to blatantly rip off Iron Man. Except for the color, on that I'm waiting for Graham Chapman to show up and chop off both arms and legs and leave him with no recourse but taunts.

The original Robocop suit/makeup effects made it look like Murphy's face was merged into the robotics - to rather creepy effect. This guy looks like he's just wearing a helmet. Hell, they couldn't even be bothered with keeping the center forehead section of the helm lined up with the center of the face - it's skewed and angled to the right. Again, all well and good for a guy wearing a helmet - not for a cyborg whose robotics and flesh are bonded together.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #65
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I think this trailer is even worse than the other one,... instead of pushing the boring melodrama angle, this one makes it seem like we are about to witness a Zack Synder-esque bland, self-masturbating, Superhero-pukefest.

I seriously don't think I am going to be able to sit through this...Keaton or not.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #66
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

No fucking way, no deal. The new trailer just confirms that everything that gave the original soul and character is gone. Where's the satire, where is the relevance, where is the excess? Garbage.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #67
hellraiser40
Maniac

where is Paul Verhoeven when you need him?! i think this will be a serviceable sci-fi themed action movie but without any of the sparkle that the Original had, which is a damned shame
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #68
spawningblue
Deadite

The new trailer makes it look decent. I'll definitely check it out, but don't think it's theatre quality. And I agree, he looks more like he's wearing Iron Man armour then being a cyborg.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #69
Do you see
Victim

Ever since I saw the first still with his new look I have had zero desire to see this. I am not against remakes/reboots whatever you want to label it but when you think of an iconic character (which I think RoboCop falls into that category, albeit contemporary) you get a certain image in your mind. This is not it. Maybe this movie would’ve been better off assuming its own identity and been titled something else. Whether this will be a decent movie, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Just not me.
Do you see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #70
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchrist View Post
Where's the satire, where is the relevance, where is the excess?
I think it's pretty obvious that it's satire of military drones monitoring US citizens. It seemed pretty "excessive" to me. Unless you were being sarcastic.

And to the point about the helmet: given the idea behind this Robocop is to sell Americans on these cyborgs, I could see them making a point to subdue the horror of seeing a guy that looks like his head is melded into a robot. In other words, realistically speaking, they would make efforts to hide the shit you're complaining about.

Last edited by Mok; 11-08-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #71
Dobby
HackMaster

Overproduced action brain dead CGI pile of shit!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #72
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Garbage. Pure garbage.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #73
Dobby
HackMaster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
Garbage. Pure garbage.
Muh nigga for life mastatwister!

Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #74
mcchrist
A new breed of pervert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that it's satire of military drones monitoring US citizens. It seemed pretty "excessive" to me. Unless you were being sarcastic.
That isn't satire, it's lazy writing. One of the things that made the original was the structure itself, just like Murphy wasn't a willing participant to become Robocop, the film itself is not a willing participant of the action genre itself. It was so over the top with tongue firmly in cheek that it became a cynical criticism not only of action films in general, but a cynical critique of itself. It's absolutely representative and poetic of the period it premiered.

No contrast to what we see here. Is it excessive? Well, in the same way Michael Bay is excessive. Now if you want to consider Michael Bay a Renaissance Man (which I somewhat do for other reasons), ok I understand. But what we are seeing is that the new Robocop is a willing participant of the genre, it's another superhero movie period. Hence... Garbage.

As for the drone thing, every science fiction film has touched on that for a decade, it's a convenient trope and a deep stretch to call "this" satire.

Last edited by mcchrist; 11-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.
mcchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #75
Mok
Family is Forever

I see now you were making a subjective point. The Sam Jackson bit came off very satirical to me. To ask where the satire is, implies it went over your head which I thought was surprising cause you strike me as a smart guy. I didnt realize this was Michael Bay until you brought it up. His name has a stigmatizing effect. How could they not address something so relevant in today's politics when it fits so perfectly to the subject matter?
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote