Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #76
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,564
Again, I draw your attention back to the trailer for the original Robocop. Nowhere in that trailer was any satire implied, but it was there in the final product in full force. When will people ever learn that you SHOULD NOT judge a film by it's trailer? You may well be right that it's missing the elements that made the original so great, but please wait until the movie is released before condemning it first. There have simply been far too many ad campaigns in the past that grossly misrepresented the films they're promoting.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #77
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!
 
Myron Breck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Again, I draw your attention back to the trailer for the original Robocop. Nowhere in that trailer was any satire implied, but it was there in the final product in full force. When will people ever learn that you SHOULD NOT judge a film by it's trailer? You may well be right that it's missing the elements that made the original so great, but please wait until the movie is released before condemning it first. There have simply been far too many ad campaigns in the past that grossly misrepresented the films they're promoting.
Exactly what I was thinking. Take a deep breath, folks.

Maybe they're just trying to make the film appeal to the masses instead of us genre fanatics--it would make sense from their perspective.
__________________
The reason I'm poor...

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #78
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD
 
Chomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,460
I think the sans-satire is the least of this trailer's problems...the generic "insert sci-fi remake title here" vibe is much more off putting...as is the portrayal of Robocop being some sort of Superhero.

I think condemning a film's trailer in this day and age is very much warranted...9 times out of 10 if a trailer looks THAT bad, it will most likely resonate that the film will be equally bad if not worse. We have been burnt far more than we have been rewarded...ESPECIALLY when it comes to big budget remakes like this.

PS...Sam Jackson's character and the "drone aspect" in the trailer is not satire. Its a blatant and obvious attempt at social commentary. There is no wit, no sarcasm, no humor to any of those aspects. Its as blatant as Avatar was a commentary on the genocide of Native Americans.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #79
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,564
There are certainly some films that you can outright dismiss due to the trailers (the new Frankenstein film from the makers of Underworld being one of them) but subtle things like satire are generally not going to be on display in a trailer for an action film. It's inevitably going to play up the action scenes at the expense of all else.

Robocop has always been a superhero. I thought that was obvious.



Last edited by maybrick; 11-10-2013 at 07:21 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #80
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD
 
Chomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,460
C'mon maybrick, its also obvious that was made AFTER the success of the film.

Jesus, sometimes I think you argue just for the sake of arguing... even at the expense of sounding extremely petty.

Last edited by Chomp; 11-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #81
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
C'mon maybrick, its also obvious that was made AFTER the success of the film.

Jesus, sometimes I think you argue just for the sake of arguing... even at the expense of sounding extremely petty.
Concurrent to the film.

The release date for Robocop is July, 1987. The comic book says Oct, however, back in those days cover dates were always 3 months ahead. That makes the actual release date July. And to be published and on newstands in July it had to be written and drawns months prior to that. I know this because a) I saw Robocop in the theater on release weekend and b) I was a HUGE comic nut back in those days. Robocop has always been promoted as a superhero. Hell, who do you think they went to to write the sequel but one of the biggest names in the biz back in those days: Frank Miller? Which led to an extended comic book series by Marvel, etc. The character itself is known to be inspired by Judge Dredd and Rom so it's comic book origins are rather solid.

I'm not saying this just out of pettiness, but after two and a half decades of sequels, live action tv series, saturday morning cartoons and several comic book series to be only just NOW complaining about Robocop being sold as superhero vehicle... I'm sorry but it's kind of amusing.

Last edited by maybrick; 11-10-2013 at 09:28 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #82
Dobby
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,414
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #83
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD
 
Chomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
The release date for Robocop is July, 1987. The comic book says Oct.
Instead of trying to guess the publishing of that particular comic, did you also notice the white bubble that clearly states "THE OFFICIAL MARVEL ADAPTATION OF THE BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE SENSATION"?

Comic book films weren't a trend or as cookie cutter as they are today. You can't compare the two trailers. Comic book films back then aside from the Superman films were campy horrendous adaptations of the source material. There is no way in hell they would have intended to sell Robocop as a Superhero...ESPECIALLY when it had an R-Rating. The trailer to the original plays more like a Terminator rip off than anything else...it even has the Terminator theme in it.

The only reason Robocop received cartoon and comic book incarnations was because it was successful and IT WAS THE FUCKING 80's. It was successful among the younger generation and they milked that Robocop property until it shriveled up and died. Bottom line.

Last edited by Chomp; 11-10-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #84
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Instead of trying to guess the publishing of that particular comic, did you also notice the white bubble that clearly states "THE OFFICIAL MARVEL ADAPTATION OF THE BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE SENSATION"?

Comic book films weren't a trend or as cookie cutter as they are today. You can't compare the two trailers. Comic book films back then aside from the Superman films were campy horrendous adaptations of the source material. There is no way in hell they would have intended to sell Robocop as a Superhero. The trailer to the original plays more like a Terminator rip off than anything else...it even has the Terminator theme in it.

The only reason Robocop received cartoon and comic book incarnations was because it was successful and IT WAS THE FUCKING 80's. It was successful among the younger generation and they milked that Robocop property until it shriveled up and died. Bottom line.
As I plainly said, Robocop was based upon Judge Dredd and Rom. The movie may not have been a direct adaptation of a comic book, but it most certainly was developed with comic book influences in mind. But whether the chicken came before the egg or not, you're missing the point. It has been established over the decades that Robocop IS a superhero. Therefore, your condemnation of the remake as being too comic book is patently absurd. You are very late to that game.

And there is no guess work involved. The true publishing date of that adaption is a bonafied FACT. Comics were always dated 3 months in advance in the 80s.

There really isn't any need to get so hostile over this, dude. You're the one making a mountain out of a molehill, not I.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #85
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD
 
Chomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
As I plainly said, Robocop was based upon Judge Dredd and Rom.
A. Dredd is an anti-hero (although being the MASSIVE comic book fan you claim to be, I am sure you already knew that) B. Robocop was partially inspired by Dredd. Just as he was inspired by Blade Runner, Klaatu, and Jesus Christ...big difference. Or maybe Robocop is not only a Superhero, but also an extra-terrestrial, android hunting, Son of God?

Robocop was never intended to be a Superhero...he is an idolized figure created by the media. Do you not remember the news footage of him with the kids? That's part of the satire that everybody says is missing from the remake's trailer.

All the comics, cartoons, action figures, underoos, shower curtains, sippy cups came after the original film's success. And that is a bonafied (lulz) fact.

My condemnation of the remakes trailer as being a cookie cutter Superhero flick is not only a personal concern, but has been a concern of plenty of other sources around the net. A simple Google search would tell you that.

Last edited by Chomp; 11-11-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #86
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
B. Robocop was partially inspired by Dredd.
If you had bothered reading what I posted rather than being angry all of the time you would notice that I had said:
Quote:
The character itself is known to be inspired by Judge Dredd and Rom so it's comic book origins are rather solid.
But go ahead. Keep on telling yourself that a character with a tragic past, who is then given powers and abilities far beyond that of mortal men and dons a mask to fight crime in the name of justice was NOT, nor was ever, intended to be written as a superhero. Most sane people would disagree with that argument. But clearly you are not sane. I give up.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #87
Dobby
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,414
You two need to get a room already and work things out.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #88
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
You two need to get a room already and work things out.
The problems all his. Me, I couldn't care less. For whatever reason, he simply can't stand it when I disagree with him, and shits a brick whenever I do. Whatever.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #89
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD
 
Chomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
tragic past, who is then given powers and abilities far beyond that of mortal men and dons a mask to fight crime in the name of justice was NOT, nor was ever, intended to be written as a superhero.?
Tragic past? He was happily married with a kid.

Dons a mask? He had no choice... OCP dons the mask for him...hence why he keeps the mask off at the end.

Fight Crime in the name of justice? He was PROGRAMMED with Prime Directives...HAHA! The more you post, the more I am convinced you've never even seen the original Robocop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
The problems all his. Me, I couldn't care less. For whatever reason, he simply can't stand it when I disagree with him, and shits a brick whenever I do. Whatever.
Bahahaha...you are the one that quotes every post I make and picks the most inane detail to disagree/argue with.

I could post I hate Hitler and love wintermint gum, and you'd post some bullshit reply about spearmint gum being the superior flavor all accompanied by some Wikipedia article you found. Get over yourself.

And I don't appreciate the personal attacks maybrick.

Last edited by Chomp; 11-11-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #90
buck135
The Duke of New York
 
buck135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In Bruges
Posts: 2,556
I catch that in an Imax theater. What the hell.
__________________
"Do you read Sutter Cane?"
buck135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com