Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #91
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Tragic past? He was happily married with a kid.
You missed the part when he died horrifically.

Quote:
Dons a mask? He had no choice... OCP dons the mask for him.
Aside from protecting his face, the mask serves the exact same purpose it does for all superheroes: It protects his identity. Nobody was ever supposed to learn that he was Murphy.

Quote:
Fight Crime in the name of justice? He was PROGRAMMED with Prime Directives
And he tried his best to override them. He didn't need the prime directives to perform his duty. They wound up being a weakness. Every superhero has at least one.

Quote:
The more you post, the more I am convinced you've never even seen the original Robocop.
Have you??

And what personal attack?

Last edited by maybrick; 11-11-2013 at 01:38 AM.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #92
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Man this is entertaining. Your futile attempts to lump Robocop in the same Superhero class as Superman or Spiderman are getting weaker and weaker as you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Aside from protecting his face, the mask serves the exact same purpose it does for all superheroes: It protects his identity. Nobody was ever supposed to learn that he was Murphy.
Heh? "Murphy is that you?" Lewis knows its him IMMEDIATELY. Emil knows its him IMMEDIATELY. Boddicker knows its him IMMEDIATELY. And why would a cyborg need his face protected?

Quote:
And he tried his best to override them. He didn't need the prime directives to perform his duty. They wound up being a weakness. Every superhero has at least one.
Wait what? He abides by his Prime Directives until the very end. That's why he doesn't kill Dick Jones until he is fired.

Quote:
And what personal attack?
Quote:
But clearly you are not sane.

Last edited by Chomp; 11-11-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #93
maybrick
HackMaster

If that really offended you, then I'm sorry. Maybe you could try a little harder, yourself.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #94
Chomp

It didn't offend me, it just was entirely unwarranted. Here we are having a civil debate, and then you post something low ball.

Bad form.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #95
Chomp

http://vimeo.com/72862999
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #96
maybrick
HackMaster

Carol also recognized Green Lantern immediately. And he would need his face protected because right behind it is his brain. The directives are ones that he would have followed anyways being a cop while alive. The fourth was an unknown one that had nothing to do with protecting the innocent. He tried to override it and it wound up screwing him up. That is a weakness.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #97
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
It didn't offend me, it just was entirely unwarranted. Here we are having a civil debate, and then you post something low ball.

Bad form.
Civil?

If I wanted to offend you I would have used harsher language. Who knew you were so sensitive?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #98
Chomp

Quote:
Carol also recognized Green Lantern immediately.
Murphy came back to like after he died...so he most certainly is a zombie. See I can pull these paper thin theories out of my ass too.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #99
maybrick
HackMaster

Ah, more of your "civil" discourse. Splendid.

For whatever it's worth, she didn't recognize Murphy from his face. She recognized him from his QuickDraw routine.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #100
Dobby
HackMaster

You both should take turns throwing your hot dogs into a cave.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #101
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:

Robocop has always been a superhero. I thought that was obvious.

That was the 1987 comic book of the film. One issue only. It was essentially the same plot as the movie if I'm not mistaken

The official Robocop comics came out in like 1990 or something close to that. Which were based on the movie., different stories of course.

P.S. - Not discussing him being a superhero or not, just talking about when the comic came out.

Last edited by baggio; 11-11-2013 at 10:03 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #102
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
That was the 1987 comic book of the film. One issue only. It was essentially the same plot as the movie if I'm not mistaken

The official Robocop comics came out in like 1990 or something close to that. Which were based on the movie., different stories of course.

P.S. - Not discussing him being a superhero or not, just talking about when the comic came out.
Yep, you are quite correct. I posted that merely to emphasize that Robocop has had a connection to comic books and Superheroes from essentially the beginning, and that the first film is an almost by-the-books origin story, despite the director's intentions to make it something else. And from what I've heard, the original drafts of the scripts made the comic book connections even clearer than what finally made it to the screen.

And no, in response to an earlier assertion, by calling Robocop a super hero I'm not putting him in the same category as Superman or Spiderman. (If anything he's closer to Batman or The Shadow.) It pretty much goes like this: Most people consider cops heroes, right? I mean, at least that is what we are taught in grade school. So by definition, Murphy is a hero. And not only just a hero, but one that it super strong, super resistant to weapons, and can see through walls and communicate directly with computers. He has abilities far beyond that of the usually policeman. Ergo: SUPER. Put the two together and what do you have? That's right: a SUPERHERO!

To say that Robocop is just a machine programmed to perform his duties is to blatantly miss the entire point of the character's evolution back to humanity throughout the entire film. As he says in the very last frame, he isn't just Robocop, he is Murphy.

Last edited by maybrick; 11-11-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #103
Dobby
HackMaster

I often wonder if Robocop pees stand up or sitting down.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #104
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I often wonder if Robocop pees stand up or sitting down.
Another inspiration for Robocop was the Colossus from Jason and the Argonauts. To urinate, he simply pulls a plug on his heel.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #105
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Another inspiration for Robocop was the Colossus from Jason and the Argonauts. To urinate, he simply pulls a plug on his heel.
Does he even have kidneys?