2.5 0 0%
2 2 3.85%
1.5 0 0%
1 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 AM   #1
Cujo108

Rate/Comment on Poltergeist

I never cared for this one. It's loud, obnoxious, overdone, and in your face. I don't find it entertaining, and it's certainly not creepy. It's more annoying than anything. The effects work is nothing impressive either, though I will admit to liking the face peeling scene. That's about all I can find to like in this one though. A minority opinion for sure, but I've just never seen what's supposedly so special about this one. I'll give it a 2 instead of lower thanks to that face peeling...
Old 11-03-2005, 04:23 AM   #2
onebyone

I gave it an 8. I have some nostalgia in that score I am sure, but I do think it is an effective scary movie. The FX are good, but not used to the detriment of the story. By focusing on the story and by hiring good actors, they manage to convince me that the house is haunted and that they are in danger every last time I watch it. Good movie in my book.

In addition, Heather O'Rourke is one of my all time favorite spooky kids. I am always sad that she had to die so young. It is also tragic about Dominique Dunne. It's all so depressing.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-03-2005 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:48 AM   #4
thrashard76

8.5 - The best of the series. This movie scared me as a child, now I look at it and love it.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:52 AM   #5
dwatts
HackMaster

Pretty lame film, not scary and not fun. I'd never bother with the DVD. It's a 1.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:01 AM   #6
Katatonia
Master of Doom

10, always loved it as a kid (still do) and creeped me out many a time.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:05 AM   #7
Golgo13

9. I've always loved this movie. I think it does everything right.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:18 AM   #8
Agent Z
"Get to the river...

I'm going with a 7, and partly because of nostalgia. Poltergeist was the only horror movie that my mom dared to see with us...because it was only a "PG" rated film.

What we didn't realize at the time...and what has become apparent over the years since, is Spielberg's knack for getting the MPAA review board good and drunk right before screening his...er...Tobe's films. Forget all the intense clown action...or the swimming pool teaming with rotting corpses.......how that face-ripping scene didn't get an "R" is beyond me....and yes, my still regretful mother.

Overall, a fun movie that definitely needs to be seen on the big screen, as it loses A LOT of its impact on a small screen.

Last edited by Agent Z; 11-03-2005 at 05:21 AM.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:29 AM   #9
onebyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission Code Z
What we didn't realize at the time...and what has become apparent over the years since, is Spielberg's knack for getting the MPAA review board good and drunk right before screening his...er...Tobe's films. Forget all the intense clown action...or the swimming pool teaming with rotting corpses.......how that face-ripping scene didn't get an "R" is beyond me....and yes, my still regretful mother.

Overall, a fun movie that definitely needs to be seen on the big screen, as it loses A LOT of its impact on a small screen.
I saw it at a special Halloween screening at a young age with my ever cool grandmother, and I will never forget just how awesome everything looked. Especially that damn clown. It was one of my early drunk on horror movie love experiences. I recall that theater experience every time I watch it, because it was just so wonderful. Thanks grandma for helping to warp my mind early!
Old 11-03-2005, 05:40 AM   #10
ZoSo
The Fucking King

I gave this a 9. A lot of it is the nostalgia factor and remembering back to first seeing it and the age I was....

THIS is the movie that was responsible for making kids my age have a deathly fear of clowns... for making us hate the old creaky tree outside the bedroom window.... for making us not want to eat chicken legs for a month... for making us count the seconds between lightning and thunder... and for making us stare a few extra seconds when waking up to static after falling asleep with the TV on*....

...also did anyone else's town suddenly have a house that was "built on an indian burial ground" after this movie came out? I know mine had at LEAST one.

It may not be the best, or the scariest movie... but the memories it brings back are wonderful.... anything that can take me back in time to my childhood gets a high rating in my book.

*Anyone else miss the old days when the local TV stations would "sign off" after late night? Showing video of the American Flag waving and playing the National Anthem? Then static all night... another great memory killed by the damned INFOMERCIAL! Just like the talk show killed off the game show.

Memories.................
ZoSo

- Smelling of death since 1976!
- I warned you not to go out tonight.

Drugs of choice: #1 | #2 | #3
The Faces of Fu: Check It Out!
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 AM   #11
Erick H.
HackMaster

I love it,it got one of the best reactions I ever saw from an audience, too! 10.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:05 AM   #12
Cujo108

Quote:
Pretty lame film, not scary and not fun. I'd never bother with the DVD. It's a 1.
I actually should've given this a 1 now that I think about it. One good scene is not enough for a whole extra point.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #13
RyanPC

I think it's a damn good film, so I gave it a 10. Reading about a possible Poltergeist 4 makes me think I should finally see the sequels.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:28 PM   #14
Cantona07
Stalker

One of the best horror movies made. This was the film that got me into horror movies. I also had my first ever crush on a girl (Heather O'Rourke). I was only 5 years old.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #15
4Gotten1

8. I love this movie. I let my 9 year old son watch it recently, and it really scared him. Thought in retrospect I made a bad decision in letting him watch it. Then he asked me if he could watch it again! It reminds me of when I was a kid, I loved anything I could find horror related on TV; and if it scared me, even better. I loved being scared, (until I had to go to bed and worry about all of the different noises and movements going on around me. I had a wild imagination!)-- and this was pre-VHS times, the old days when we had to rely on either watching it at the theatres, or catching it on TV. Times have sure changed.