Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Ash28M
HackMaster

Insidious: Chapter 2

Checked this out yesterday and wasn't overly impressed. IT just seemed like a quick cash in on the first one. The scares seemed like more of the same and were rarely very effective. Just way too much going on with back and side stories that after a while I just lost interest. It just tried to do way too much and ended up being a bit of a mess IMO. It was OK at best and no way near as good or as fun as part 1.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I have to agree, this was a very below average sequel.
I loved Insidious but this seemed like a rush job with absolutely no character development. I love Rose Byrne but her character was given little to nothing to do and just seemed to fill space. It felt very convoluted, though never confusing.
I just kept waiting for that huge horrific moment to occur but instead it went nowhere. They tried to explain too much away and this detracted from the ominous, creepy vibe of the first. Of course, the door is left wide open for Part III, but after this I don't see that too many people will be interested.
There was a lot going in the first installment but it all seemed to gel in the end, not here, very much an anti-climax.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Strong (7.1/10) IMDb rating and $40m+ predicted weekend boxoffice. This could've flopped badly, but its off to a great start it seems. Boxoffice numbers next weekend should reveal if Insidious: Chapter 2 was merely riding on the hype of its predecessor.
Not seen the movie yet, but I'm planning to watch it.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I feel like the first movie killed the creative possibility for a sequel with the same characters. To make this work with any of them, they have to twist the events of the first film- make us think certain things never happened.

Frankly, I really don't think most people want another Poltergeist franchise. The sequel was successful - and I think it's a touch underrated by some - but I believe most people were letdown by it. Trying to play that again historically would be a disaster. People have already said it: this is trying to repeat Saw. And there are a few, entirely obvious, reasons why that isn't going to happen. Though not because people are discriminating with their money at the box office.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 09-15-2013 at 02:43 PM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
othervoice1
HackMaster

Only 37% positive reviews on rotten tomatoes - doesn't sound too great - but Ill probably give it a rent when its out on video
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

It was alright. Definitely suspenseful and had some okay scares, but overall it was just okay, nothing too great about. The backstory ended up confusing me a lot... and some of the movie was unintentionally funny. The first was wayyy better.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
I feel like the first movie killed the creative possibility for a sequel with the same characters. To make this work with any of them, they have to twist the events of the first film- make us think certain things never happened.

Frankly, I really don't think most people want another Poltergeist franchise. The sequel was successful - and I think it's a touch underrated by some - but I believe most people were letdown by it. Trying to play that again historically would be a disaster. People have already said it: this is trying to repeat Saw. And there are a few, entirely obvious, reasons why that isn't going to happen. Though not because people are discriminating with their money at the box office.
If it works then I'm fine with more sequels, if it doesn't then they need to stop. I haven't seen this yet, may catch it if it is still playing in Oct, but I'm in no rush. The first one was good although not as good as some hyped it to be. The Darth Maul demon definitely ruined it a little for me.

As for the comparison to Saw, I don't think they were trying to do that at all. Saw has a sequel come out every year. It's been three years since Insidious hit. Paranormal Activity was trying to do the Saw thing, but after the last movie didn't do as well as they had hoped, they have slowed it down if ever so slightly, as I think there is still a new film hitting in Jan. I believe.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Saw this tonight and liked it, though I definitely prefer the first film. I loved the fact that James Wan used the same house from Spider Baby and Silent Scream. It's been painted up differently, but immediately recognizable. I would definitely watch this again, though I'm sure to revisit The Conjuring much sooner.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote