Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #31
Paff

True. How many times do you see a scathing review of a horror film, and wonder if the person actually appreciates and understands the appeal of the genre? This girl doesn't, and she admits it. I wish the other people who trash horror films in print would be as honest about their predjudices.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #32
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
I'm all for her. I applaud her being up front about her biases. Yeah, I won't read her reviews, but it shouldn't invalidate her opinions as a critic.

This whole idea of critics being objective is BS. This is art not science. There are no objective answers. Every reviewer has biases. Some based on aesthetics, some based on exposure, and some based on personal history. I can't fault a woman for having issues with horror. Women live with a higher amount of daily fear, even in the US. I don't feel the need to walk my male friends to their cars, but I am surely going to make sure that my female friends get there safely. So, I really can't hold something against a woman who doesn't find fear entertaining.
Nah I don't buy that. First of all most woman I know don't fear the world as much as you might think. Secondly we all loved horror as Kids and as kids we were way more vulnerable to external, rational and irrational fears. Yet we couldn't get enough of it in movies.
Ash28M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Look at what an ass Eli Roth made of himself on Fox News. He trivialized the issues and practically showed that he had only the most shallow appreciation for anything that was actually going on. Like it was all just an excuse for him to be as "extreme" as he wanted to be in his films.
I really had no problem with Roth's comments on Fox. All he was saying was that horror film tend to mirror what is going on in the world at the time. The more violent the world seems, the darker horror horror films are going to be. That's always been the case. Neil Cavito was the one who came off looking clueless, trying to find one off film examples to contradict his argument. Most people in general have only a shallow appreciation for anything that is going on with anything you hear on the news. Horror films don't play off the complexity of the events so much as the resulting temperature of society.

I have no Idea why horror fans shit all over modern horror directors. Unlike in the past were most horror directors almost fell into the genre when they had aspirations for one day doing "more". Modern directors Like Eli Roth, Rob Zombie, James Wan, Alex Aja, Ti West etc, are and always have been massive horror fans with dreams of being HORROR directors. Back when most of us grew up the only real horror fans for the most part doing horror films were the guys going special effects. Now we finally have them in the director's chair and everyone puts them down on every perceived misstep. I can understand not liking all their films but how can you not root for them to do well?

Last edited by Ash28M; 09-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Ash28M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #34
Dobby
HackMaster

I have a tendency to never read movie reviews online. I'm convinced most people who review movies have never seen the actual film!
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Nah I don't buy that. First of all most woman I know don't fear the world as much as you might think. Secondly we all loved horror as Kids and as kids we were way more vulnerable to external, rational and irrational fears. Yet we couldn't get enough of it in movies.
I think either you misunderstood me or I didn't make my point clearly. Probably the latter. I don't mean that more women are afraid of the world. Just that they have more things to be afraid of than men. Example, 1 in 5 women have been sexual assaulted. For men, it's 1 in 30. So fear of rape is something that more women are aware of in their daily life than men are.

The point is more that experience can define our aesthetic tastes. Someone who has lived with real fear may not find fictional fear to be enjoyable. My ex-wife lived in Timisoara during the Romanian Revolution of 1989. And she is now a bit touchy about watching some sorts of violence and doesn't understand why anyone would think that is "fun." And this has nothing to do with her being a woman, it has to do with her having to hide in the bathtub when the tanks were in the street and bullets where flying through the walls and windows.

So, acknowledging that women in the US are still victimized more frequently than men and generally have some more real concerns about fear than I do, I can simply understand why a woman (or anyone, really) would be less likely to enjoy watching people get victimized on film.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #36
spawningblue
Deadite

I respect that she released this article, and for the most part was pretty much respectable to horror films and their fans.

As for the opinion that because she is a reviewer she shouldn't get to choose what movies she reviews and should be able to have a non biased opinion in regard to all films, in some ways I agree with this, but at the same time I would rather she hand off horror movies to someone else then be another reviewer that just bashes horror films because of their genre. There's no real solution to this unless you can find someone that loves every type of movie, and even then I'm sure their would be some bias due to preference. Reviews are just opinions, so there is no way of getting around this.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote