Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Dexter: The Series Finale

I know this show has lost it's relevance in recent memory since the number of horror related programming on television has increased, and the quality of the show has been rolling down hill fast. But I'm curious to know, for those we are still watching, what they are expecting/hoping in the final episode, and their thoughts on the series as a whole.

Personally, I was originally obsessed with Dexter at the beginning. It was cleaver, subversive, and overall absorbing for its first four seasons (Season four being some of the best television I've seen). Season five is where things started turning sour. I enjoyed the idea of Dexter having a relationship with another women who he could confine his dark secret with, but it resembled too much to season three and his relationship with Miguel, just in a non sexual way. It was obvious Showtime wanted to churn out as much profit as they could from the show when they announced three more seasons, but it was clear the writers had little left to work with. Season six was so mediocre I don't even know where to begin. The religious aspect that was barely played with on a mature or challenging level, a silly and predictable plot twist half way through the season, and one of the most unconvincing, lame serial killers in the series run (I'm sorry, but Colin Hanks does not have that kind of acting range to pull off this character, and the hokey writing didn't help either).
In short, Dexter's final season, which should have been an emotional, heart racing, roller coaster ride has been exhausting at best. The introduction of new main characters, dumb sub plots (I appreciate them trying to flesh out Masuka more, but at this point who cares, and that subplot died in the water several episodes ago), and poor writing has really destroyed what was once an incredible show. I really hope the finale ends strong, but I have a terrible feeling the writers will tie things up neatly, killing what little good the show has left to offer.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
deepred
Maniac

Like you, I really enjoyed the first four seasons. The first two seasons are probably my favorite. I had a hard time getting into season five but then eventually really enjoyed it. Season six was hard to get through. I liked season seven and thought the first few episodes of this season were fantastic but like you said, it kept adding silly subplots and at this point, I don't think one episode can make this season the thrilling season it should have been. It will have a lot of ground to cover though. The Masuka stuff does feel like a waste and I feel like Dr. Vogel could have been used in a more compelling way.

True Blood is another show that started off great but has kind of floundered now for years.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
maybrick
HackMaster

I'm a latecomer to Dexter, only being introduced midway through Season 5. I've enjoyed all of the seasons more or less equally, even though many of the twists were extremely predictable.

True Blood? That fucker has seriously jumped the shark and this last season broke the camel's back. Too many damned plots going on with an overemphasis on tertiary characters few people other than the writers really care about. The episode devoted to the fry cook's fineral is really the one that did it for me. I won't be revisiting it next year, but maybe I will once it gets its final cancellation notice. Hopefully that is soon.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
True Blood? That fucker has seriously jumped the shark and this last season broke the camel's back. Too many damned plots going on with an overemphasis on tertiary characters few people other than the writers really care about. The episode devoted to the fry cook's fineral is really the one that did it for me. I won't be revisiting it next year, but maybe I will once it gets its final cancellation notice. Hopefully that is soon.
The axe for True Blood was already announced. Next year is the last. Good riddance - the writers really ruined it and it had a lot of potential.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Dave
Pimp

I loved early Dexter. And I loved Season Five, but that was it for me. I still watch it to this day. I just don't enjoy it like I did. They are ending it too late and I can't say I'm all that excited about the conclusion.

If you want to see how a series goes out on a high note just tune into Breaking Bad. Wow.

As for Dexter, I may take a crack at the books sometime soon.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I'm predicting a nice clean, cop-out, piss everyone off finale. But at least I'm still watching it, which is more than I can say for True Blood which has turned so fucking horrid I didn't bother with this season at all, even though I thought last season was slightly better than the one before it.... it's really just sucked ass since season 3 or 4 and hasn't been enjoyable, so I finally said to myself "you don't like this show anymore, you don't have to watch". Lightbulb went off over my head and I've been free since. Such a shame as the first 2 seasons were some of the best shit I ever saw, and the last 2 I saw were among the worst. The fairies were way too much, in fact, fuck all the critters they kept bringing in. The show worked best with Vampires, Werewolves and humans. When it feels like work to watch a show, the show must go.

I haven't heard anything good about the Dexter books, only bad to heinous really. Most reviews have said "interesting concept, horrible writing, just watch the TV show as it's a million times better and written better on top".

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If you want to see how a series goes out on a high note just tune into Breaking Bad. Wow.
I'm with you on that one Dave. I don't think I've seen a show so well crafted in my life (Boardwalk Empire being the only thing that comes close). The character arches of both Jesse and Walter have been thrilling to watch, and I love all the symbolism and foreshadowing sprinkled through out the series. Walter, who was a very sympathetic character, has lost all his humanity and is detestable, and Jesse, who was a stooge, has be come the most sympathetic since he has lost all self respect for the things him and Walter have done.
This is where Dexter has failed in my opinion. The writers really have been playing things too safe since season five. The finale season should have been way more emotional than what we have gotten.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

I started watching Dexter shortly before season four aired. I'm up to date through season seven and won't get to see season eight until it hits Blu/dvd in November. Season two (Bay Harbor Butcher investigation) and season four (Trinity killer) are still my favorites, with season six (Doomsday killers) being the low point.

There have been some great supporting and guest characters on Dexter like Sgt. Doakes, Lila West, Arthur Mitchell, Agent Frank Lundy, and Miguel Prado. The last few seasons haven't had any such strong characters, though I did find season seven a big improvement over six.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
ekent
The Lord's Arm of Justice

Location: North California, South Alabam, and little towns all around this land
I've got a feeling that Quinn is going to have a bad ending. It seems that the series is aiming toward a neat and tidy ending but I've got a feeling that the rug will be yanked from under us, and hard. I've enjoyed all the seasons but 6 is no doubt the worst. I really enjoy the books except for the third which was a major departure. I am on the 6th book now and it is one of the best yet.
ekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

well, it's all over kids. Dexter has come to an end, and the finale has left me very cold. Sure, things didn't fall neatly into place as I feared, but I'm confused and dissatisfied with how they decided to end what was a great series.
Spoiler:
I was shocked that they killed off Debra. Considering how much they turned her character around for the worst, I had an awful feeling she would be the one coming to Dexter's rescue at the very last minute. What I don't understand is, well, pretty much everything else. Why the hell on Earth did Dexter take her from the hospital and bury her at sea? How did no one, despite the insanity, not notice a civilian carting off a patient and taking that body onto his boat? How did Dexter survive driving his boat into a full blown hurricane? Why is no one at Miami Metro the least bit concerned that Debra went missing? And why, for the love of God, did they end this series on such an underwhelming final shot that is nothing more than a 10 second screen dissolve?

If you watched the finale, I'm sure you are asking the same questions I am. I'm really disappointed with all of this. Dexter was, in my mind, always leading to a crash course between him and Debra, and I well forever feel cheated for not seeing this scenario play out.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Azrael55
Victim

I for one am a happy camper. No scenario would have allowed EVERYONE to be happy or fulfilled. It ended in a way that seemed "right". Has anyone ever thought in the days of DVD and BluRay filming 3 or 4 different endings (maybe with slight variations on certain characters demises) so that when it was released on DVD fans could have a choice of which one they wanted. Maybe I'm too much of a CLUE fan....
Azrael55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Watched the finale last night finally and am underwhelmed to say the least.
That last scene, well my girl liked it, I hated it! You could've left it way more open than that so we could all write our own endings in our minds, but treated the audience as stupid again so let's spell it out for them. ERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! It would've been a lot better ending without that mini-epilogue IMO.

I'd be surprised if only one ending was made. They probably made a couple/few others just in case of leaks, so no one would know which was gonna be the true ending. Isn't that pretty much common place these days for hit shows? I'm sure if multi-endings weren't filmed, they were at least written on dummy scripts for the same reason.

My Fucking DVDS

Last edited by bigdaddyhorse; 09-24-2013 at 03:10 PM.
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
cjg
Maniac

Bad ending to a show that should have ended years ago
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Clyde Phillips (Dexter showrunner for seasons 1-4) recently talked to E! News about how he would have ended Dexter, and to say the least, if this is how it went down, I would be more than satisfied.

Quote:
"I haven't shared this with anyone," Phillips told the site, "and I can tell you that this is what I personally would have done should I have stayed with the show. I chose not to stay with the show, and so everybody did what they did and I had no problem with that... and I think they did a good job with the final episode. But here is what I personally would have pitched."

"In the very last scene of the series," Phillips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back, and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs, and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery."

"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother, Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible for killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there."

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I pretty much expected a weak finale given the season that preceded it. So I can't say I was disappointed. I think it would have been slightly better if they had dropped the 30 second epilogue at the end there.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote