Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-25-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

Saw this for the first time tonight and I've got to say "wow". Creepiest film I've seen in a long time. I cannot believe that after all these years I've let a gem like this escape my attention.

This movie had a sense of dread and uneasiness throughout it's run time. I was completely enthralled by the woman that plays Jessica. She played her in a very believable way. I can definitley say I've got a new film in my top ten slot. Hopefully someone releases this low key classic on DVD.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
Luna

I've been waiting for this one to come out on DVD for the longest time now. No news yet, I assume.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
Erick H.
HackMaster

I always loved JESSICA's leading lady,Zhora Lampert.Shes' a terrific actress and a real versatile performer.She kind of reminds me a bit of Lilli Taylor.Zhora got two Tony nominations in the 60's and was in several films(SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS,STANLEY & IRIS and EXCORCIST 3 to name a few),but despite being well liked by critics she never became a big star.Perhaps she was a bit ahead of her time,she'd have been great in the Indie movement in the 90's.She hasn't worked much recently,I can't find a credit for her post 1999.A big talent !
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Since there is a remake in the works, there might be a chance we will get the original Jessica on DVD sooner or later *fingers crossed*
Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
onebyone

One of the few movies I once watched on Elvira's Movie Macabre that I came to appreciate as fine cinema. I have been carrying around a VHS copy of this movie for years, and it still holds up so well. I sure wish I could trade in that VHS for a nice DVD package though.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Cujo108

Ah, Let's Scare Jessica to Death is a very creepy and ambiguous little gem. It's nightmarish in a vein similar to that of Carnival of Souls, and I've used both films for a nice double feature over the various years. The atmosphere is as thick as blood, and Lampert nails the role, keeping you on the fence about her sanity. This is one of the best films of the 70s, and a DVD is long overdue.

I was hoping Paramount would finally get around to putting this out on DVD this year, but nope. No horror titles at all from those creeps.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
Ash28M
HackMaster

Great film. Possibly the best horror film out there yet to have a DVD release.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Cydeous
Axxon N

Funny that this thread was re-awakened now. I just got the RetroFlicks version of this film, which isn't bad at all. I believe that the film is in the public domain. Anyway, for $10 it was totally worth it.
Cydeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #9
Cujo108

Don't know if I should trust this or not, but it's definitely gotten me excited that this may finally be hitting DVD:

http://www.navarre.com/search.aspx?S...&go.x=9&go.y=6
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 PM   #10
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

That certainly has my hopes up.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
onebyone

I in no way should let that get my hopes up.

However, my hopes are so up now. Thanks for posting that Cujo, even if it ends up breaking my heart.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #12
Bad_Ronald_1983
Stalker

That DVD release would be awesome if it is true. This truely is one of the best movies from that time period.
Bad_Ronald_1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:23 AM   #13
Katatonia
Master of Doom

A DVD release would indeed be great, I haven't seen this flick in many years. If Paramount would release Student Bodies as well, that would be doubly killer!!!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #14
MrKateB
Asshole Extraordinaire

I remember seeing ads for this movie in the very early 70's when it was going to be shown on television...I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5, and I remember that I got VERY upset and snuck into my parents room to sleep on the floor because I was too scared to sleep in my room. Unfortunately for me, the movie was actually airing THAT NIGHT. My dad had a habit of falling asleep with the tv on, and at some point I woke up and was watching it--unaware that it was the same film whose ad freaked me out earlier in the evening. I didn't really get what was going on, and there wasn't anything happening that tipped me off...Unfortunately it got to the part where Jessica and the other girl went for a swim, and so I was treated to the ultra creepy scene where the girl surfaces and is all corpse like. Needless to say, I woke both of my parents up screaming and crying...

I first saw this movie in its entirety in the early-mid eighties when I was able to rent it and loved it. Very subtle, very well done, and VERY creepy. I even ended up with the theatrical poster, which is pretty cool--good use of colors etc.

Hope it makes it to DVD soon. I think it's too much to expect that Paramount would do any sort of special features for it, considering the barebones treatment they've given to much more popular and bankable titles...I just hope that it comes out in widescreen, and mastered from pristine materials etc.
MrKateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #15
Jimbo
The Bloodstained Shadow

Dvd-drive in has confirmed an August release.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote