Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Asian Horror and Other Pleasures

Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
WrongTurnLover

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

Kick-Ass Hong Kong/Japanese horror/Sci-fi/fantasy based on a manga! it's gory as hell for it nearly rivals "Dead Alive" for goriest movie of the 90's. I can describe this movie with words for it must be seen to believed, this movie almost blows away such asian gore flicks like "Tokyo Gore Police", "Men Behind The Sun", "Guiena Pig", "Ichi The Killer", "The Untold Story" and "Versus".

A must see!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Xtro_13

I couldn't agree more. Riki-Oh is one kick ass movie.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Alan Smithee
Stalker

Riki-Oh is a masterpiece.
Alan Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

I 1st saw this film in the mid 90's when clips were shown on The Daily Show, I then tracked down the film, back in the Craig Kilborn days. Anyone remember that?

- Johann von Goethe
KR~! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
shape22
HackMaster

I show this one to people who think Re-Animator is an obscure cult classic. Their jaws usually hit the floor within the first 10 minutes.

Hilarious movie.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

Yep, this is a true classic, and my personal favorite bad film of all time.

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
WrongTurnLover

Anyone thinks this movie blows away any of those Asian gore flicks i mentioned?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #8
russweiss
Maniac

I've seen the film a few times and showed it to some friends. Well worth watching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Story of Ricky Pressbook German.jpg (529.9 KB, 22 views)
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

Don't know if you know this or not but there were 3 other films. I don't think they were ever release in the US or Europe.

- Johann von Goethe
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR~! View Post
Don't know if you know this or not but there were 3 other films. I don't think they were ever release in the US or Europe.
For real? I'd love to see those even without any subtitles. But I've never heard anything about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongTurnLover View Post
Anyone thinks this movie blows away any of those Asian gore flicks i mentioned?
I think the films you listed all are different kinds of gore flicks and tough to compare, some being based off comics, some being based off actual events, some just trying to be as over the top as possible. Though for me Riki-Oh has gotten more repeat viewings than any of the others you listed, so in terms of pure entertainment value I think it blows them away, but it might not measure if we're talking about gore only.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiookami View Post
For real? I'd love to see those even without any subtitles. But I've never heard anything about that.
From WikiPedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh...Story_of_Ricky

A sequel, titled Dint King, Inside King (aka, Story of Ricky 2 or Super Powerful Man) was allegedly released on video in Hong Kong around 2003-2005. The film was never released in the United States or in Europe, but is available on DVD (without English subtitles) through Panorama Entertainment. The film follows the events that take place in the manga after Ricky breaks out of prison, though apparently no mention is made of this. Oddly, and possibly due to rights issues, the film is built as a stand alone project despite casting Terry Fan Sui Wong in the title role. Even the characters have different names (Ricky's name is He Shen in this film). Fan even sports the camouflage poncho seen in flashbacks and in the manga.

The other two films were anime based on the comics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh

Riki-oh was released as two OAVs. The first anime was called Riki-oh: The Wall of Hell (1989). The second one was titled Riki-oh: Child of Destruction (1990). The first one is a retelling of the first few manga and the second is Riki's adventure to find his brother, and stop his devilish cult following.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh

BTW, the two animated flicks are on YouTube, I did a search but found nothing but a DVD cover for Dint King, Inside King.

- Johann von Goethe
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
Erick H.
HackMaster

Saw the original in the 90's,a fun,over the top picture,certainly different from your average import.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
aoiookami
Demon Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR~! View Post
Super Powerful Man
Best movie title ever.

Haha, I didn't think the 2 animated entries were considered part of the 3 other films, I actually own one of them on bootleg VCD, and its...not so great. I would really love to be able to see that other live action one though. Thanks for that info
Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
KR~!
The Apocalyptic Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoiookami View Post
Best movie title ever.

Haha, I didn't think the 2 animated entries were considered part of the 3 other films, I actually own one of them on bootleg VCD, and its...not so great. I would really love to be able to see that other live action one though. Thanks for that info
If you want it, they sell it here for $6.99

http://www.yesasia.com/us/dint-king-...0-en/info.html

Please note that it's budget was way smaller than the 1st one. I have never seen it so it might suck or you might discover a new classic.

- Johann von Goethe
Old 01-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #15
Funktion
Stalker

Anyone who enjoys this film should seek out the director's other works, the guy (Nam Lai-Choi) is quite frankly totally insane!
I've been collecting his work on dvd (well, actually I have 2 or 3 different releases of some of his films), his films never failed to give me an enjoyable time watching them. He did all: from having a CGI martial arts fight between a cat and a dog, flying dead fetuses, a chick cutting part of her breast to give to a guy to delay a blood curse, and many more classics.
It's a shame the guy pretty much vanished: no known work since the early 90's, and very little information about a director who managed to work for the legendary Shaw Brothers studios.

I seriously advise everyone to check out, at the very least, The Seventh Curse. The film is a blast: it's an adventure/action/martial arts/gore/... film, with a chain smoking, bazooka wielding Chow Yun Fat in a small but memorable role.
The films trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLRY6kH9vQ
And a couple of reviews with plenty of screenshots:
http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmoviere.../S/7curse.html
http://teleport-city.com/wordpress/?p=859

Other films from the same director worth checking out:
-Erotic Ghost Story: basically a nudity & CGI filled Witches of Eastwick remake...
A clip of the film (NSFW):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2iGjNC0_So
-The Cat (aka The 1000 Years Cat)
-Ghost Snatchers
-Her Vengeance

These films cost 8-9 bucks from stores like Yesasia (which has free shipping for orders of $39 or over), so it won't cost you more than a trip to the cinema for each.

And another HK gore film not to be missed, for fans of Story of Ricky, from a different director: Robotrix.
Imagine a cross between Robocop + martial arts + a bit of comedy, plenty of nudity and sex scenes and crazy gore scenes (like a decapitation using a suitcase!).
Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLkJRCCe7Ew

Last edited by Funktion; 01-22-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Funktion is offline   Reply With Quote