Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Bringing back the horror icons of the 80s on DVD

With the (at least) critical successful Curse of Chucky (I have no idea on DVD sales) I keep thinking could they bring back other icons in a straight to DVD avenue? I mean look at a Halloween for instance, those films don't need a huge budget nod could definitely be made cheap enough for the DVD market. I also don't think its as hard to get good actors for these and if you could bring in (or back) someone who cares about the material it could work. It's got to be better than seeing the studios do nothing with these characters. Also I'm not just properties like Halloween, Friday the 13th or a Elm Street (as I doubt the studios would anyway). I'm talking properties like Phantasm, My Bloody Valentine, The Burning, etc

So does anyone think Curse of Chucky's success could trigger something like this or just be a one off gem? I mean there's every chance a successful DVD could lead to a cinematic return someday.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
soxfan666
Maniac

I think Chucky does have the chance to start a resurgence with DTV horror icons, but probably not the premiere names like Freddy, Jason, and Michael. I would be good with this if they find a good and dedicated writer. One problem I find in many movies (not just horror) is that writers do not know how to end a movie. Movies end up being just like SNL skits great for 80 minutes then a terrible ending just to get out of it.

With the advancement in digital and hd cameras a small budget can produce a film that looks expensive. With a few name actors and a great script there could be some excellent DTV stuff produced. Let's hope Chucky can get something going...
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
myhorror
Stalker

You mean kind of like Hellraiser: Revelations? If they would turn out anything like that travesty then no thanks.
myhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I was extremely disappointed that Curse Of Chucky didn't go theatrical. Just goes to show the current state of the horror genre I guess. If it were a remake, it'd have been on the big screen.

Straight-to-video is fine I guess. I really enjoyed the Wrong Turn sequels, and the Boogeyman sequels are way better than that theatrical turd of a first film. But the big guys, Jason, Leatherface, Michael, Freddy, and even Chucky, belong on the big screen.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
chancetx
Stalker

Well, they remade "My Bloody Valentine" a few years back and even though it did well it didn't spawn a series or even a sequel.

myhorror already mentioned "Hellraiser: Revelations" but there were also awful direct-to-DVD reboots of "The Howling" and "Children of the Corn" in the last couple years. Many 80s series already wore out their welcome with weak direct-to-DVD sequels in the 80s and 90s (Hellraiser, COTC, Phantasm, Pumpkinhead, The Howling, Amityville, Candyman) so it's hard to imagine newer sequels would do any better.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

This is what I'm saying though Curse of Chucky I'm hearing nothing but good things about so what if thus starts a trend if good straight to DVD horror. Personally the one I'd like to see brough back on DVD is Michael Myers as I feel they don't know what to do with him. I also think the Halloween films work better on smaller budgets and I think the studios feel they have to spend excessive amounts if money to make a good film when they don't. Think about it a Halloween film released next year around Halloween that's straight to DVD would be awesome. I mean it wouldn't even effect theatrical cause they could always just do it to keep the lights on. Although I bet there's some deal where it has to be a theatrical film.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I see what you're saying, Bobby, but what I think some of the other posters are saying is that it's already been happening for quite a few of the franchises but the movies have sucked. Hard.

I haven't seen the new Chucky yet but from everything I have heard it was thanks to the story/script and capable crew--I just don't think there's a lot of those left in the film industry right now. Just look at the shit that does make it to the megacineplexes (and not just horror).

I guess I'm just trying to say that I hope with all of my heart that you are right and that this will usher in a new golden age of horror, where our favorites are resurrected. But the Realist in me has great fear and doubt that it'll just bring more of the same old shit.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
I see what you're saying, Bobby, but what I think some of the other posters are saying is that it's already been happening for quite a few of the franchises but the movies have sucked. Hard.

I haven't seen the new Chucky yet but from everything I have heard it was thanks to the story/script and capable crew--I just don't think there's a lot of those left in the film industry right now. Just look at the shit that does make it to the megacineplexes (and not just horror).

I guess I'm just trying to say that I hope with all of my heart that you are right and that this will usher in a new golden age of horror, where our favorites are resurrected. But the Realist in me has great fear and doubt that it'll just bring more of the same old shit.
Oh yeah and I get that, that's why I was saying that if it was people who cared about the product but I guess that's only a small chance if happening.

You're probably right to be honest ha ha but I guess we can live in hope.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Probably, but I like your optimistic future vision better.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
buck135
The Duke of New York

I could be wrong (usually am), but I think the younger movie theater going generation currently has no interest in the classic slashers. It begs the question of whether Freddy, Jason and Michael will transcend generations for decades the way Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolf Man has.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorror View Post
You mean kind of like Hellraiser: Revelations? If they would turn out anything like that travesty then no thanks.
Couldn't stomach more than five minutes of that.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I could be wrong (usually am), but I think the younger movie theater going generation currently has no interest in the classic slashers. It begs the question of whether Freddy, Jason and Michael will transcend generations for decades the way Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolf Man has.
I have to completely agree with you, most young people nowadays want a bunch of stupid ass remakes.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I have to completely agree with you, most young people nowadays want a bunch of stupid ass remakes.
But if they like remakes then they do like the icons

I think at the moment the ghost/haunted movies are having their day in the sun like the slashers did in the 80s. It's whether or not the icons can hit back. Tbh the renames have all been financially successful.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Zillamon51
Maniac

I think Curse of Chucky is the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of DTV sequels are a big step down from their theatrical counterparts. (I own CoC but haven't watched it yet.)
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #15
Paff

It's actually not as crazy a concept as it sounds. A lot has changed in the DTV, as well as the TV world just within the last 2-3 years. Where it was once movies that commanded attention (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc), it's more TV shows now (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad). You're starting to see it as actors who were more known for movies are showing up on television now. I think it's the rise of HDTV, which has allowed for a more cinematic look for home video than even just a few years ago.

And Netflix has taken it to the next level, with shows like Arrested Development and Orange is the New Black getting LOTS of critical and consumer attention. In a world like this, someone is going to be looking for the Next Big Thing, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were movies that were aimed for DTV.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote