Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Well that sounds good enough for a blind buy then. Count me in!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
unclefred
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
White of the Eye blu-ray? best news ever
I'm hyped for this. My VHS is full frame, I know the film will be outstanding with the proper ratio..there are so many great shots in this movie.
unclefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #18
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Received my copy of Hellgate today!

FYI: For those who aren't region free, the top menu trick works on both Hellgate and Hell Comes To Frogtown.

You need to have a basic player though, i.e. no wi-fi, Netflix, etc.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #19
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Received my copy of Hellgate today!

FYI: For those who aren't region free, the top menu trick works on both Hellgate and Hell Comes To Frogtown.

You need to have a basic player though, i.e. no wi-fi, Netflix, etc.
Did you order directly through Arrow? My Amazon order was delayed until February third.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #20
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg_Shen View Post
Did you order directly through Arrow? My Amazon order was delayed until February third.
Yes, but I ordered mine a little late (ordered on the 17th, shipped on the 20th). Most people who pre-ordered direct from Arrow got theirs a week ago.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
DVD-fanatic-9
Everyone Else's Hobby

I also rather liked Hellgate.

Nowhere near Troll 2 insanity but incredibly unpredictable and surprising.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #22
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I watched my Hellgate blu-ray a few nights ago and figured I'd do a little write up, since there aren't a ton of reviews out there.

I completely adore the film, I think it's a blast from start to finish. Just a mishmash of ghost stories, urban legends, cabins in the woods, '50s diners, biker gangs, cemeteries, ghost towns, zombies, phantom burlesque dancers, creepy old mansions, and exploding fish. But most of the reviews I've seen are extremely negative (2.8 on IMDB), so I can understand that people don't like it.

As for the transfer... I can't say that I was blown away. It looks fine, and certainly an upgrade over the DVD, but I'm not sure I would call it a huge upgrade. It looks a little gritty, with occasional specks, debris, even cigarette burns throughout. I can't really complain, because the fact that Hellgate is on blu-ray at all completely blows my mind. It's not a bad transfer by any means, but don't expect a lot of that 3D effect.

There are three extras on the disc. The first is a 36 minute interview with the director. I had no idea that he played the talking head in the fridge. He mostly talks about South Africa (where the film was shot) and why it was shot there. He also gives a few interesting tidbits, like Embeth Davidtz was originally up for one of the roles. He likes to name-drop, and comes off as a little too self-congratulatory at times. "James Dean was my best friend, I discovered Patrick Swayze and Dorothy Stratten, I noticed Embeth Davidtz before Steven Spielberg did" etc.

The second extra was a 13 minute interview with a film critic / scholar where he discusses his feelings about the film. It really doesn't have anything of substance regarding the film, but it's a harmless little extra. It would be easy for a film critic to be a little mean-spirited towards the film, so I really appreciated that he wasn't. The tone was very lite and mellow.

The final extra is a 9 minute interview with Kenneth J. Hall about the straight-to-video boom of the late '80s. This was a really interesting little extra, even if it didn't have much to do with Hellgate. They mention that he created Puppetmaster in the segment, but looking him up on IMDB, he also wrote two guilty pleasures of mine: Bloody Movie and The Clown At Midnight. He also designed the snowman in Jack Frost, another movie I completely adore! Great stuff!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Cool...I'm gonna check out Hellgate tonight. I've had it for about 2 weeks now, but haven't watched it yet.

I've really enjoyed Arrow's recent releases...TCM 2, Last American Virgin, Hell Comes to Frogtown...and the quality on these are excellent.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #24
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

I ordered copies of Hellgate and Frogtown thru Arrow but I forgot that I had preordered copies from Amazon UK as well and forgot to cancel. They just sent me a shipping notification so I'll be having an extra copy of each film that I'll likely want to get rid of. If anyone is interested PM me. They won't arrive for a couple of weeks, though. Paypal only.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #25
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
Just a mishmash of ghost stories, urban legends, cabins in the woods, '50s diners, biker gangs, cemeteries, ghost towns, zombies, phantom burlesque dancers, creepy old mansions, and exploding fish.
Sold! I stayed away from this one in the VHS / DVD eras based on bad reviews in Deep Red, Psychotronic, etc., but that just means I don't have to feel guilty about buying the blu, right?
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #26
Mikey Horror
Maniac

I have Hellgate on the old Anchor Bay Drive-In Double Feature with The Pit. Haven't watched it in years. Might have to check it out again to see if it's worth the upgrade.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #27
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched Hellgate last night...it was OK. I bet if it were made 4 years prior it would have been magical. There are a lot of interesting ideas that just feel kind of played. There are some nice gore effects and a copious amount of nudity from one particular blonde that probably would have also benefited more if she was 4 years younger.

It wasn't horrible by any means, but I just didn't find it to hit any marks either. A lot of these late 80's early 90's low budget horror films just seem so passed their prime. Their hearts are in the right place, but you just can't help but realize that it was certainly an end of an era.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #28
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

DVD Beaver reviews Hell Comes To Frogtown: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...wn_blu-ray.htm
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #29
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Hellgate review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...te_blu-ray.htm

Mine just arrived from Amazon UK earlier today too!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #30
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I loved HELLGATE. I will definitely be picked this up the next time Arrow has a sale.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrow phantom stuff