Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Favorite season of AHS?
Murder House 13 48.15%
Asylum 6 22.22%
Coven 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Favorite season of American Horror Story

Based on the AHS vs. The Walking Dead poll, we have a few fans on this board!
I'm just curious what everyone's favorite season is and why!

Season 1 - Murder House - Set in present day in LA in a haunted house, a family moves there after they've faced an act infidelity and a still born.

Season 2 - Asylum - Set in the early 1960s in an insane asylum that once housed famous serial killer, Bloody Face.

Season 3 - Coven - Set in present day in New Orleans, revolving around school for witches, as they're a dying breed who are facing extinction.

What's your pick?

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
deepred
Maniac

I'm going to wait till Coven is over to vote but Asylum has been my favorite season thus far.

I have mixed feelings on Coven.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Ash28M
HackMaster

I really got into the first just can't get into it anymore.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Paff

I'm lovin' Coven so far, but I'm keeping my enthusiasm down as they have a tendency to getting too disjointed in the plotting. There's still several episodes for them to go off the rails, but if they don't, it will get my vote.

Four of the actresses on the show have garnered Academy Award nominations for Best Actress, with 3 wins. That's a hell of a pedigree for a basic cable show.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

My interest waned after Season 1, which was excellent. I tried getting into Season 2 to no avail. Have not seen any of 3.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
Have not seen any of 3.
Ah, you're not missing much. Just witchcraft, telekinesis, pyrokineses, human voodoo doll, infanticide, matricide, incest, zombie army, teenage girl mowing down said zombie army with a chainsaw, reassembling of corpse parts and reanimation, acid tossing, witches burning at the stake, basic reanimation, Stevie Nicks songs, serial killing jazz enthusiast, resurrection of said serial killing jazz enthusiast, slave torture, a friggin' Minotaur, murder by sex, 3 way undead sex (dead guy, dead girl, live girl).

Is that about everything?

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Ah, you're not missing much. Just witchcraft, telekinesis, pyrokineses, human voodoo doll, infanticide, matricide, incest, zombie army, teenage girl mowing down said zombie army with a chainsaw, reassembling of corpse parts and reanimation, acid tossing, witches burning at the stake, basic reanimation, Stevie Nicks songs, serial killing jazz enthusiast, resurrection of said serial killing jazz enthusiast, slave torture, a friggin' Minotaur, murder by sex, 3 way undead sex (dead guy, dead girl, live girl).

Is that about everything?
You haven't quite touched on the butler's sidestories yet or the killer vagina.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Paff

I mentioned the killer vagina (I called it "murder by sex"), but you're right; I totally missed the butler. Guess you could call that necrophilia? They don't show what he did with Madison's corpse, but it's not hard to guess.

Also omitted alligator resurrection, followed by reanimated alligator pulling alligator hunter into swamp by his head.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
I mentioned the killer vagina (I called it "murder by sex"), but you're right; I totally missed the butler. Guess you could call that necrophilia? They don't show what he did with Madison's corpse, but it's not hard to guess.

Also omitted alligator resurrection, followed by reanimated alligator pulling alligator hunter into swamp by his head.
Somehow I passed over "murder by sex," in that sentence. I forgot about the alligators.

I wouldn't be surprised if the butler's
Spoiler:
crazy doll collection
comes into play at some point this season.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Do you see
Victim

I won’t vote until S3 is complete, but I’d have to say S1 for now. I’ve enjoyed them all, S2 just seemed a little busy with all the story lines going on and not as focused as S1.
Do you see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
vampyr789

as I'm sure y'all have seen, I chose Asylum.
Haha I seem to be the only who likes it on here.

I've watched a couple times all the way through, and I promise you, it doesn't feel too busy or too cluttered, and definitely doesn't go off the rails. It's perfect (IMO) One of my favorite things I've ever seen on TV

Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyr789 View Post
as I'm sure y'all have seen, I chose Asylum.
Haha I seem to be the only who likes it on here.
I love it too and it seems to have a lot of fans on the IMDB boards. Coven is alright. There are parts I enjoy but as a whole I am finding it pretty lackluster. At this point, I feel pretty confident voting for Asylum since Coven is past the half-way point and I am still lukewarm to it.

I'm surprised Asylum only has our votes though.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
vampyr789

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepred View Post
I love it too and it seems to have a lot of fans on the IMDB boards. Coven is alright. There are parts I enjoy but as a whole I am finding it pretty lackluster. At this point, I feel pretty confident voting for Asylum since Coven is past the half-way point and I am still lukewarm to it.

I'm surprised Asylum only has our votes though.
Yeah I frequent those IMDb boards as well, and yeah they seem to prefer Asylum. But even before Coven started, there was this annoying amount of hate towards Asylum, but now they love it. Straaangeee.

But yeah! I'm surprised Asylum only has our votes! It's the most horrific out of the three and has the best story, IMO People who've only seen it once should give it a re-run on Netflix! It's pure brilliance.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
Paff

Oh, I'll revisit Asylum sometime in the near future. Actually, next on my AHS list is a re-watch of Murder House. I've had the Blu for over a year and haven't broken the shrink wrap on it.

And don't get me wrong, I liked Asylum too. I just lost track of who was good, who was evil, what the threat was, etc. Perhaps it will clear up on a re-watch, especially if I do one episode a night, rather than waiting a week between.

Coven is just a lot more coherent, and I'm absolutely loving Angela Bassett's character. But it's not perfect. It looks like they're finally creating a real antagonist, and it's not a particularly interesting one. I can see all the factions that previously seemed to be against one another, all joining up to face this foe. Yawn. Additionally, it seems like Kathy Bates' Delphine is really being wasted. In the beginning of the season, she had the most horrific plotline, with the crazy shit in her attic. Now she's comic relief as Precious teaches her racial sensitivity. That's a plot line that's been going on FAR too long, and should have been addressed and ended right after her comments about a "darky" in the White House.

On the flipside, at least it does not look like Coven is shooting its wad too early, so much so that the final episodes are more like an epilogue (which was one of my biggest complaints about 1 and 2). They don't have a lot of time left, so I'm imagining that the finale will not be low key like the previous seasons. They can end this thing with some bad craziness.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #15
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Coven is just a lot more coherent, and I'm absolutely loving Angela Bassett's character. But it's not perfect. It looks like they're finally creating a real antagonist, and it's not a particularly interesting one. I can see all the factions that previously seemed to be against one another, all joining up to face this foe. Yawn. Additionally, it seems like Kathy Bates' Delphine is really being wasted. In the beginning of the season, she had the most horrific plotline, with the crazy shit in her attic. Now she's comic relief as Precious teaches her racial sensitivity. That's a plot line that's been going on FAR too long, and should have been addressed and ended right after her comments about a "darky" in the White House.

On the flipside, at least it does not look like Coven is shooting its wad too early, so much so that the final episodes are more like an epilogue (which was one of my biggest complaints about 1 and 2). They don't have a lot of time left, so I'm imagining that the finale will not be low key like the previous seasons. They can end this thing with some bad craziness.
I agree with a lot of what you said, Paff. Angela Bassett is amazing but I wish we knew more about her as a character. Maybe it would have been more interesting to have her as the lead instead of Lange?

And while Coven is more coherent plot-wise, I felt Asylum was more coherent character-wise. Maybe it's the all female cast, maybe it's the fact that we are seeing Lange play another ballbaster for the third time, that Zoe is such a bland character and Kyle still seems kinda pointless, that Hank is more of a sketch than a character, that they've confused Kathy Bates's character as a simple racist when the woman was a sociopathic monster, that the council of the coven is lame or that Joan and her son seem as useless as the aliens subplot but at least Asylum had well-written and fascinating characters across the board.

As coherent as the season has been, I expected for things to come together in more interesting ways. Someone said on another forum that it almost feels like nothing is happening while a lot is happening at the same time which I agree with. Asylum was a journey into madness and here we are 9 episodes into Coven and I'm still waiting for the damn thing to take off.

However, there are things I like: Last weekend's episode directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon was great. I would definitely like to see him behind the camera more. I love Lily Rabe as Misty Day - she is simply bewitching. Frances Conroy is also amusing as Myrtle. I even like the whole Heathers-like vibe that Emma Roberts brings to her character. I also appreciated making Sarah Paulson look like the blind psychic from The Beyond and the mother-daughter dynamic she shares with Lange. The Axeman is also cool. That said, where is this story going? Hopefully, it does have an epic ending because quite frankly this season needs it imo.

I also agree with Vampyr that Asylum comes together much better on a subsequent viewing.

Last edited by deepred; 12-13-2013 at 03:01 AM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote