Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Anaestheus
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,278
Cannibal Holocaust in on Hulu?!?!?!

Let that sink in for a moment. One of the most famously shock/disturbing/unsettling (and still surprisingly powerful) films ever made is now available for anyone in the world to stream instantly to their computers and smart TVs.

I'm old. So, I grew up in the days when you had to hunt down shady bootlegs of indeterminate quality on VHS for this sort of stuff. Getting your hands on a copy of Cannibal Holocaust was a trophy followed with near ritualistic secrecy as you would selectively and celebratorily screen the film to your friends and those who soon no longer be your friends.

I always knew that the internet would make all things available. But, I don't think I would have ever expected that something of this ilk would ever make it to a widely available and publicly accepted arena. And certainly not in such pristine quality and (as far as I can remember) uncut. I wonder if they'll end up getting the Guinea Pig or August Underground movies in the future.

There are so many CH threads that I really wasn't sure which one to post in. So, I apologize for adding another.

And besides, I think the headline is the most important part.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Anaestheus
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,278
And, dammit, why do I never catch my typos until after I hit the "post" button.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
ronnie21
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,695
No thanks. seen this back in 88 on VHS, and wasn't right for like a week. It was so disturbing specially when your 14 seeing it.. It was so disturbing, think I actually needed to talk to a professional to get my sanity back on track. Never again.
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Cooperkill
Stalker
 
Cooperkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 215
I would say it's the most disgusting movie of all time. The turtle scene alone can induce unexpected vomiting. To all those kids who get it on Hulu and don't know what to expect: good luck!
__________________
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/signaturepics/sigpic10145_2.gif
http://www.splattercritic.com

Last edited by Cooperkill; 12-08-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Cooperkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
hellraiser40
Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Helchteren, Belgium
Posts: 777
the sad thing is that without all the animal sequences, the movie wouldn't be infamous, but just famous, because despite it all it's very well made, with some amazing music

tbh, the animal scenes in Cannibal Ferox (especially the first one) are so fierce that i've only watched that one once
hellraiser40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Matt89
HackMaster
 
Matt89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,605
Well I Spit on Your Grave is on Netflix...I was surprised by that too.

~Matt
__________________
"If a man can bridge the gap between life and death ... I mean, if he can live on after his death, then maybe he was a great man."
- James Dean
Matt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,367
Cannibal Holocaust really isn't that bad a film. It definitely feels raw at times but I was surprised at how well made it was and that it actually had a purpose, story and message.

I'm still waiting for a totally uncut blu of this. I don't find the animal killings to be that disturbing because I read that they ate what they killed; so I'm ok with that.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser40 View Post
the sad thing is that without all the animal sequences, the movie wouldn't be infamous
Sad? Or justified?

Let's face facts- this is not a documentary. It's not meta. It's not about killing for a film, or genuinely testing audiences, or contemplating the borders of taste or how far film is allowed to go. It's about You Forgetting that the makers tortured actual living things and somehow believing there's any way to transition from the filmmakers doing it to the characters doing it. In the context of the film, which couldn't be more manipulative and hypocritical, believing it was Just The Characters doing this (and using the deaths' "realness" to just make you hate The Characters) to prove a point. Well: fuck that. That's like pointing at a black man in a crowded room, shouting the N word, then holding a white guy in front of you and pointing at everyone in the room for pointing at That Guy instead of you.

Blaming someone else for what you've done doesn't change a damn thing. The filmmakers are their own bad guys. But somehow, most people who are willing to look at the film refuse to see that. And - since the film was made - Deodato has been only too happy to say the reason he did all of this was because it's what the people wanted to see. Blaming his audience for doing such horrible things. Again, it's the kind of thing that should piss fans off yet I remain in the minority giving a damn about not just how wrong it was in general but how its use in the film is of only the worst hack metaphor variety. Hell- by comparison, Tom Six didn't think this little of his audience when he made The Human Centipede (the sequel, however, is a different matter) but millions of IMDb voters were proud to use the film as an example to prove they don't appreciate being pandered to.

What can I say? I respect that. People who torture animals, yet are not out of their mind when they do? And seem to feel no remorse whatsoever- which, thanks to defenders of the film, they don't have to...

You've got to be kidding me!
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Sad? Or justified?

Let's face facts- this is not a documentary. It's not meta. It's not about killing for a film, or genuinely testing audiences, or contemplating the borders of taste or how far film is allowed to go. It's about You Forgetting that the makers tortured actual living things and somehow believing there's any way to transition from the filmmakers doing it to the characters doing it. In the context of the film, which couldn't be more manipulative and hypocritical, believing it was Just The Characters doing this (and using the deaths' "realness" to just make you hate The Characters) to prove a point. Well: fuck that. That's like pointing at a black man in a crowded room, shouting the N word, then holding a white guy in front of you and pointing at everyone in the room for pointing at That Guy instead of you.

Blaming someone else for what you've done doesn't change a damn thing. The filmmakers are their own bad guys. But somehow, most people who are willing to look at the film refuse to see that. And - since the film was made - Deodato has been only too happy to say the reason he did all of this was because it's what the people wanted to see. Blaming his audience for doing such horrible things. Again, it's the kind of thing that should piss fans off yet I remain in the minority giving a damn about not just how wrong it was in general but how its use in the film is of only the worst hack metaphor variety. Hell- by comparison, Tom Six didn't think this little of his audience when he made The Human Centipede (the sequel, however, is a different matter) but millions of IMDb voters were proud to use the film as an example to prove they don't appreciate being pandered to.

What can I say? I respect that. People who torture animals, yet are not out of their mind when they do? And seem to feel no remorse whatsoever- which, thanks to defenders of the film, they don't have to...

You've got to be kidding me!
I remember animals being killed not tortured. Maybe I've forgotten though.

I don't see what the big deal is though (in relation to this film). The film is old and that sort of thing wasn't a big deal back then. These days it's a different story and there's all sorts of groups that protects animals and they have rights and what-not.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
The big deal? Have you ever seen an animal being harmed? Just watch someone squeezing a cat's paw too hard and it really reacts. And it feels horrible to see.

The big deal is that some people are blinding themselves to how much it actually matters because they don't care or want to know what it's like to see an animal abused. But it comes down to empathy and it's wrong to torment any living thing unless you absolutely have to- like giving it a shot or removing a tick or something. Even then, it's a horrible experience.

The fact is: it is a big deal. And people should care.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
The big deal? Have you ever seen an animal being harmed? Just watch someone squeezing a cat's paw too hard and it really reacts. And it feels horrible to see.

The big deal is that some people are blinding themselves to how much it actually matters because they don't care or want to know what it's like to see an animal abused. But it comes down to empathy and it's wrong to torment any living thing unless you absolutely have to- like giving it a shot or removing a tick or something. Even then, it's a horrible experience.

The fact is: it is a big deal. And people should care.
That's torturing though, killing is like putting a bullet in them or cutting open that turtle real quick in CH. I don't agree with torture but if you're killing an animal real quick for food then it's not a big deal.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
It's highly debatable though how quick that turtle actually "went." Or the other animals in the film.

Otherwise, of course, I agree. Though we are living in a world where it's not essential to kill animals for food anymore (depending upon where you live). Meat is the most expensive thing to buy in America's supermarkets- it borders on a luxury in our lousy economy. Vegetables and fruits are only pricier than Hot Pockets or certain White Castle type ripoffs. With that in mind, I trust hunters and fishers to treat their "game" more humanely than anyone Fast Fooding their animal stock (including for frozen packaged products like Hungry Man, etc).
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
othervoice1
HackMaster
 
othervoice1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,762
Call me a bleeding heart if you want but Ive never seen this movie because of the actual animal killings in it. Knowing it was real would kill the entertainment factor of the film for me. But I am really shocked that Hulu would add this movie to their streaming collection - just seems a really odd choice.
__________________
'Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief.'
Angel
Passion
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul
 
DVD-fanatic-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Horror
Posts: 3,287
I know that no one here really cares about critics - and if there could be a lower form of life than them, it would likely be Video Review critics on sites like That Guy with the Glasses who do silly skits with their friends; so I might be shooting myself in the foot bringing this up at all - but I'm pretty sure the Cinema Snob guy (Brad Jones) wasn't being facetious when he basically panned the non-animal-slaughtering sections of the movie for being silly or culturally stupid, insulting, and/or arrogant.

If so, he pretty much nailed the movie on the head. I won't say it wasn't well-shot. There's always a Language of Cinema thing going on with a lot of directors that I often take zero stock in because it doesn't stop a movie from being lethargic or dull... but this film definitely needed more than this White Man Goes Into Jungle, Bonds with Tribe's-People Only to Find Them Less Primitive than City Stuffed Shirts, blah, to get us to swallow their load. (Well, some of us.)
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Zombie Dude
HackMaster
 
Zombie Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
It's highly debatable though how quick that turtle actually "went." Or the other animals in the film.

Otherwise, of course, I agree. Though we are living in a world where it's not essential to kill animals for food anymore (depending upon where you live). Meat is the most expensive thing to buy in America's supermarkets- it borders on a luxury in our lousy economy. Vegetables and fruits are only pricier than Hot Pockets or certain White Castle type ripoffs. With that in mind, I trust hunters and fishers to treat their "game" more humanely than anyone Fast Fooding their animal stock (including for frozen packaged products like Hungry Man, etc).
I believe it was just its nerves going spaz that kept it moving around, just like when you cut the head of a chicken off.
It may not be necessary to eat meat but I still believe it's in our human nature to do so.
__________________
The Horror Collection Corner: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieDude0001/videos
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com